Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hey CaseySJ! I am very glad that I was able to give back to the community (especially you) a tiny fraction of what I got from you guys. :)
Yes, sleep has been working each and every time. This firmware update in pretty much the cherry on the cake haha.
This past weekend I experienced several system crashes upon wake-from-sleep. That's when I remembered your post and decided to update the Aquantia firmware. After the update all is well! :)

I just upgraded to a RX 6600 from a RX 570, and I have the pikera boot argument. But system information is showing my old GPU info. I'm sure I'm missing something, I only have 2 out of 4 monitors working... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have to go to work now so I can't dig deep ATM for all that say rtfm. hehe. :p

I just upgraded to a RX 6600 from a RX 570, and I have the pikera boot argument. But system information is showing my old GPU info. I'm sure I'm missing something, I only have 2 out of 4 monitors working... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I have to go to work now so I can't dig deep ATM for all that say rtfm. hehe. :p
Is this happening on an Asus Z690 ProArt or the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH that is listed in your profile?

Gigabyte motherboards can be finicky when GPUs are replaced. We should do a CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS after installing a new GPU.

Is this happening on an Asus Z690 ProArt or the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH that is listed in your profile?

Gigabyte motherboards can be finicky when GPUs are replaced. We should do a CMOS Reset and re-configure BIOS after installing a new GPU.

The ProArt.

I guess I connected everything too quickly. I had extra cables from old monitors and didn't connect the cables correctly, LOL... oopsie.

All good now. The name of the GPU in system info is written in the plist. So I edited it. There does seem to be a performance increase, but not as much as I was hoping. It's not a $2000 card. :)

It seems I’m getting a bit of flickering on my new RX 6600 with the Z690 ProArt.. mostly on YouTube specifically.. maybe it’s an AMD Freesync issue? So far the overall performance upgrade from the RX 570 is minimal at best… sigh.. I’ll try tonight when I get home to see if it’s a monitor setting .. wish me luck
I guess I need to upgrade to a 6800 or 6800 XT to get a real performance upgrade.. cards are so pricey right now so that’s why I picked the 6600

Edit: seems like turning AMD FreeSync OFF on the monitor has helped the youtube flickering.

Last edited:
It seems I’m getting a bit of flickering on my new RX 6600 with the Z690 ProArt.. mostly on YouTube specifically.. maybe it’s an AMD Freesync issue? So far the overall performance upgrade from the RX 570 is minimal at best… sigh.. I’ll try tonight when I get home to see if it’s a monitor setting .. wish me luck
I guess I need to upgrade to a 6800 or 6800 XT to get a real performance upgrade.. cards are so pricey right now so that’s why I picked the 6600

Edit: seems like turning AMD FreeSync OFF on the monitor has helped the youtube flickering.
Last week I replaced a Radeon RX 580 with a Radeon RX 6650XT on my Z390 Designare that is now connected via DisplayPort to a Cooler Master GP27U 4K mini-LED monitor with 160Hz refresh rate. Sonoma also supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on this monitor (not with RX 580, which is why I've replaced it with 6650XT).

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 10.57.13 AM.png

There is no flicker or any other visual artifact. In fact, mini-LED with 576 local dimming zones is so amazing that I don't think I can go back. Even though there are 5K monitors out there, they would be a step down after this. (Latest Cooler Master firmware needed, which solves all local-dimming-related artifacts that I experienced previously.)

Last edited:
Last week I replaced an Radeon RX 580 with a Radeon RX 6650XT on my Z390 Designare that is now connected via DisplayPort to a Cooler Master GP27U 4K mini-LED monitor with 160Hz refresh rate. Sonoma also supports Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on this monitor (not with RX 580, which is why I've replaced it with 6650XT).

View attachment 575557
There is no flicker or any other visual artifact. In fact, mini-LED with 576 local dimming zones is so amazing that I don't think I can go back. Even though there are 5K monitors out there, they would be a step down after this.

Hi @CaseySJ - for no particular reason except out of interest, I was a bit surprised at how different your Dispay panel looked to mine. Of course, no HDR etc ...

d2.jpg

I'm on Sonoma 14.1.2 presently.

Anyway. As I say, just out of interest to compare really.

:)

Hey Guys, I tried to update to Sonoma from Ventura, and got this.
Can I get any help? I appreciate it .
If not for install, at least to restore Ventura. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7956.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 32
Hey Guys, I tried to update to Sonoma from Ventura, and got this.
Can I get any help? I appreciate it .
If not for install, at least to restore Ventura. Thank you
Have you seen this:

We should upgrade to latest version of OpenCore first (described in one of the last steps of above post).

@CaseySJ

Hi, can I ask your opinion on a matter please (it's a weird one lol).

Got a Z790 Creator to test/use besides my Z690 Creator. But every now and then my hack is stuck at the Apple logo, both when loading macOS installer (Ventura) and when trying to boot an internal SSD with a working macOS.

For the first few attempts after installing the board, it happened continuously. Then, at some point, it let me install macOS. Now it happens every now and then. No overclock. It happened using stock BIOS settings (except for the few modifications which are necessary: disable serial port and so on). It happened when trying to boot Sonoma installed on the Z690 as well as a fresh installation on this machine.
  • do you think it has anything to do with CFG Lock? Yes, both the tested BIOSes, 1501 & 1402, have CFG Lock in place
  • or, maybe, you think it might have something to do with the board itself? ...which would be odd as it always booted Windows and seems to be stable as well (did some heavy stress tests for CPU / IMC / RAM)
This is the verbose output I took once, when trying to boot a working macOS installation off of my Z690 Creator:
1.jpg

The verbose output I got when trying to boot a Ventura installer is different, but I guess they are related to the same root cause.

Thank you.

Back