Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

It may be a better idea to get a simpler Z790 mobo without TB or 10GbE, and add these myself.
For example, I have an OWC Envoy Express that will not work properly on TB4.
I already have an AQ107 that works 100%, and sleeps well. I can use that in my new Hack.
If I get the GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0), what exactly do I need from the mobo? a TB connector? Will it work at all without flashing?
Any suggestions for a proper mobo? I would prefer Asus, as I have had bad experiences with GA tech supt.

I had some tips, but I am still like to hear from others.

It may be a better idea to get a simpler Z790 mobo without TB or 10GbE, and add these myself.
For example, I have an OWC Envoy Express that will not work properly on TB4.
I already have an AQ107 that works 100%, and sleeps well. I can use that in my new Hack.
If I get the GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0), what exactly do I need from the mobo? a TB connector? Will it work at all without flashing?
Any suggestions for a proper mobo? I would prefer Asus, as I have had bad experiences with GA tech supt.

I had some tips, but I am still like to hear from others.
I absolutely agree with your philosophy, and - maybe - I will do the same in the near future.

From my point of view there are two choices: Asus Z790-Prime P and Asus Z790-Prime A. Both these motherboards have enough independent PCI-Ex slots to have everything you need without any complication. Asus AQ107 can work in one PCI-Ex 4x and sleep well because basically it's OOB. Prime P has Realtek 2,5Gb as primary network interface and it's a perfect choice because it will avoid any trouble with i-226v (just in case!). Then there are a couple, or just one (it depends upon the dimensions of your GPU), PCI-Ex 1x slot where you can put any additional card such as a Fresco Logic for having more USB ports that are outside the 15 port limits.
In the last PCI-Ex 16x you will put a GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) card, that will work even without flashing, and anyway both the motherboards have a TH connector, so you don't need anything else.

Prime A has one more NVMe slot over Prime P and a more robust power section but these are the only differences beside the network (Intel vs. Realtek); both with 4 SATA ports, which are more than enough for many of us.

What else?

Now let’s try installing a couple of your most-used applications and see if sleep still works.

This becomes a process of elimination. But it shouldn’t be too cumbersome.
@CaseySJ

On the test NVMe with Ventura fresh install I have made these steps:

• TM Restore of all my Applications -> sleep/wake works well. And, subsequently...
  • TM Restore of my main user profile -> sleep/wake works well.
So it's none of the above.
At this point I will duplicate (again) my main boot disc then I will erase it and re-install Ventura fresh. Afterwards I will restore from TM my profile and Applications without restoring anything else.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

On the test NVMe with Ventura fresh install I have made these steps:

• TM Restore of all my Applications -> sleep/wake works well. And, subsequently...
  • TM Restore of my main user profile -> sleep/wake works well.
So it's none of the above.
At this point I will duplicate (again) my main boot disc then I will erase it and re-install Ventura fresh. Afterwards I will restore from TM my profile and Applications without restoring anything else.
Good job and good plan. One word of advice: double check that all documents, media, applications and plus-ins are present before erasing the main disk.

Hello All,

I have the Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi / Bluetooth Wireless Card, and all Bluetooth and continuity features work. However, I am still unable to get unlock the Apple iWatch working. I receive this message. Any ideas on how to get this working? I know @CaseySJ has reported his working, but does anybody else have this working too?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.55.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 8.55.32 AM.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 27
Hello All,

I have the Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi / Bluetooth Wireless Card, and all Bluetooth and continuity features work. However, I am still unable to get unlock the Apple iWatch working. I receive this message. Any ideas on how to get this working? I know @CaseySJ has reported his working, but does anybody else have this working too?
First thing to try:
  • Power down the Apple Watch
  • Power down the iPhone that Apple Watch is paired with
  • Power up the iPhone
  • Power up the Apple Watch
  • Try enabling “Unlock with Apple Watch”
If it still fails we may need to repeat the above, but first we may need to sign out of AppleID.

I absolutely agree with your philosophy, and - maybe - I will do the same in the near future.

From my point of view there are two choices: Asus Z790-Prime P and Asus Z790-Prime A. Both these motherboards have enough independent PCI-Ex slots to have everything you need without any complication. Asus AQ107 can work in one PCI-Ex 4x and sleep well because basically it's OOB. Prime P has Realtek 2,5Gb as primary network interface and it's a perfect choice because it will avoid any trouble with i-226v (just in case!). Then there are a couple, or just one (it depends upon the dimensions of your GPU), PCI-Ex 1x slot where you can put any additional card such as a Fresco Logic for having more USB ports that are outside the 15 port limits.
In the last PCI-Ex 16x you will put a GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) card, that will work even without flashing, and anyway both the motherboards have a TH connector, so you don't need anything else.

Prime A has one more NVMe slot over Prime P and a more robust power section but these are the only differences beside the network (Intel vs. Realtek); both with 4 SATA ports, which are more than enough for many of us.

What else?
I just checked, GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) is sold out everywhere and it's unclear if it comes back in stock. I only see a couple of sellers on eBay. I never bought anything on eBay. Should I just go ahead and buy one? No idea what to watch out for, actually. Some sellers want over $1000, some $150, it's all over the place.

What exactly will not work if I don't flash?
Best case scenario you'll see a Thunderbolt Bus at 0 Gb/s. I can't actually tell if it's the same behavior on all sets, that is my (double) experience on GC Titan Ridge 2.0.
Please note that I did not tested thunderbolt devices, but only USB Type c ones.

Back