Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Indeed, my Metric Halo interface is 1 GbE. Elaborate tests have shown that real TB ethernet works best, as these have good drivers. This means an expensive Sonnet adapter(> 200eu) or the TB3-TB2-1GbE ethernet contraption.
Right. Maybe it would help to cool off and assume that the Metric Halo may plainly run fine off the on-board NIC rather than jump at elaborate workarounds in case it doesn't work…

The AQ107 works OK too, but is complete overkill for 1 GbE.
If this is less sensitive to latency that I imagined, and stacked adapters are actually acceptable, hooking the Magic Halo on your switch and running everything, audio and general networking, from the 10 GbE NIC looks like a fine zero cost solution.
Else, a second-hand Intel X520/X540/X550 card with multiple interfaces, running off the server-grade ixgbe driver in DriverKit, should come well under 200 E.

It may be a better idea to get a simpler Z790 mobo without TB or 10GbE, and add these myself.
For example, I have an OWC Envoy Express that will not work properly on TB4.
I already have an AQ107 that works 100%, and sleeps well. I can use that in my new Hack.
If I get the GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0), what exactly do I need from the mobo? a TB connector? Will it work at all without flashing?
GC-Titan Ridge, v.1 or v.2, has a 5-pin Thunderbolt header. If the motherboard has one, all is fine; else shorting pins 3 and 5 allows the card to run without the full header.
Hot plug without flashing (but with the appropriate SSDT). Active Thunderbolt bus, and full Mac-like behaviour, if the card is flashed.
I just checked, GC-TITAN RIDGE (rev. 2.0) is sold out everywhere and it's unclear if it comes back in stock. I only see a couple of sellers on eBay. I never bought anything on eBay. Should I just go ahead and buy one? No idea what to watch out for, actually. Some sellers want over $1000, some $150, it's all over the place.
The card was a little under 100 E new, so $150 is a scalper giving you a friendly hair cut—which you may have to take if you need to secure a card for a build—but $1000 is chopping off the whole head with it.

Any suggestions for a proper mobo? I would prefer Asus, as I have had bad experiences with GA tech supt.
Seeing that Gigabyte has actively removed Titan Ridge support from some Z690/Z790 boards through BIOS updates, Gigabyte is best avoided indeed.
If you're unsure again, I'd suggest to open a thread under "Buying Advice", to write down your technical and functional requirements in tedious details and to grade them: Mandatory/Very much wanted/Nice to have/Could do without.

Use case: Build for (serious) audio work.
Target: Highest single thread performance.
Features:
* GPU slot (pretty much mandatory)
* PCIe 3.0 x1 or higher for audio card (mandatory)
* Thunderbolt (mandatory?)
** cold plug / hot plug / full Thunderbolt bus (grading very much helpful here also!)
* 10 GbE
* extra NIC
* WiFi/BT
* any other feature…
Hack level for the build: can experiment / proven to work / well-followed User/Golden build / God-level support from San José, CA…

Just writing everything down and thinking hard about priorities should help you even before the first answers come in.

Hello All,

I have the Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi / Bluetooth Wireless Card, and all Bluetooth and continuity features work. However, I am still unable to get unlock the Apple iWatch working. I receive this message. Any ideas on how to get this working? I know @CaseySJ has reported his working, but does anybody else have this working too?

Try to disable “Unlock with iPhone” setting on your iphone passcode menu. That worked for me.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with your philosophy, and - maybe - I will do the same in the near future.
Been having the same, exact thoughts.

Asus AQ107 can work in one PCI-Ex 4x and sleep well because basically it's OOB.
Asus released the XG-C100C V2 lately which uses AQC113CS: is it supported as well?

To everyone please (you, @CaseySJ , @etorix in particular)
Does it happen to you that, if you connect a USB-C drive to the TB ports, as soon as you reboot the hack such device is not automatically mounted? It is required to physically unplug it and plug it in again.

Question regarding Wifi/Bluetooth.
I've got a few unused laptops laying around, can i remove the module from a 2014/15 macbook pro and swap it into the z790?

Is this possible? Will it fit? Will it work in this system without the need of kexts? Is it worth it or should i buy a new Broadcom one?

Thanks

Question regarding Wifi/Bluetooth.
I've got a few unused laptops laying around, can i remove the module from a 2014/15 macbook pro and swap it into the z790?

Is this possible? Will it fit? Will it work in this system without the need of kexts? Is it worth it or should i buy a new Broadcom one?

Thanks
On my hacks I only use original Apple Wifi/BT cards : full compatibility without kext, all the features and a lot less pain, in my experience. And bonus, compatible with Windows (bootcamp drivers if needed). However, you need an adapter :
  • Specific one to use it on the CNVI slot (if Asus is still not blacklisting the non-intel modules). Tested and approved on many Asus builds. On a Proart motherboard I think the acrylic shroud need to be removed (the card + adapter is too high to fit) and you might or might not need to custom build a metallic case that is bigger than the original one (not rocket science).
  • Specific one to use it on a PCIe slot. Tested and approved on almost all my builds. Metallic protection for interferences also better here.
  • Specific one to use it on a M.2 slot (the ones for drives). Never tested and mixed opinions found online...

These adapters usually sell from Ebay, are cheap, but might take months, not weeks or days, to ship to Europe, no idea to the US (bought a new one mid January, delivery date is end of march).
Beware to buy an adapter that has the proper number of antennas (could be 2, 3 or 4 depending on the Apple card), I think from an Apple laptop it should only be 2 antennas. The pigtail wires from Asus or Gigabyte are usually not compatible, because of the MHF4 connector, at least there were not a few years back, so depending on the adapter you want to use, you might need to buy a set of compatible pigtails.
The antennas themselves are usually interchangeable.

@Bergier3K, Thanks for the detailed response. So I can't just straight swap it without an adapter? I'll look into them, if you're able to link me a model that'd be great!

Between my GPU and the capture card on the 3rd slot, I haven't got enough room on the 2nd PCIe for that style, so I'd say either an M.2 or the CNVI slot. I can easily work around the casing if the original doesn't fit.

How would one check if ASUS has blacklisted Non-Intel modules on the z790 ProArt?

@Sabzz You must use an adapter, Apple slots are not the same formats as the ones on PC boards, they would not fit mechanically.

For the space you have, hard to say exactly, these cards are quite thin, I'd say 5 to 8mm, maybe 10mm tops.

CNVI slot would work better than M.2 I think, it has an integrated USB connection for the Bluetooth part of the card, which a classic M.2 slot has not. So with the CNVI you avoid a wire from the adapter to an internal USB 2 header (and save 1 port on your USB map).

If you have the versions of your laptops I can point you towards a narrower adapter selection. These adapters are quite cheap, but ordering the wrong one is a massive pain because of the shipping time and the return shenanigans, so better get the right one. I hope links to ebay or amazon are allowed on the forum...

Well, I know for a fact Asus has not blacklisted anything wifi related on the Z690. So I guess it's the same on Z790, but I will leave someone better informed than me confirm that.

@Sabzz I'm quite sure DMs are not only forbidden but not available anymore.

If you have a MacBook Pro 10,x it should be a BCM94360CSAX. If you have a MacBook Pro 11,x it should be a BCM94360CS, both should work good.

Something like that should work. If you add the right pigtails.

NOTE 1 : I'm not recommending this particular seller, it is just an example. If you type "BCM94360CSAX to ngff adapter" or "BCM94360CS to ngff adapter" you will find what you need. I actually hold that specific adapter in my hand right now (had forgotten I had it) and it served me well for years on an old H170n, with a BCM943602CS. Change "ngff" to "PCIe" and you would find the adapters for a PCIe adapter, if you think you have the room.

NOTE 2 : Maybe wait for someone like CaseySJ or etorix to confirm what I'm telling you, I'm not as good or experienced as they are!

NOTE 3 : Also a BCM94360NG would work without adapter, because it's a PC card, essentially the one found on some Fenvi PCIe cards. Though, a bit more flaky according to some reports.
https://www.newegg.com/p/0XM-00JK-00083
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083YXS7VF

I'm quite sure DMs are not only forbidden but not available anymore.
Well look at that, learn something new everyday! :lol:

Perfect, thanks for taking the time to forward that information through, gave me a better understanding of what my options are and how it could work.

Appreciate it! :thumbup:

Right. Maybe it would help to cool off and assume that the Metric Halo may plainly run fine off the on-board NIC rather than jump at elaborate workarounds in case it doesn't work…

I've tested this on my current Z390 rig with different Ethernet adapters and the builtin ports, the results varied wildly and would lead to actual drop outs and clicks early on with some drivers, or weirdly high CPU loads. This was on Mojave, Big Sur and Monterey.
I've discussed this with the MH designer, and he said that some drivers are not well written, including some Apple ones.

In general, TB to Ethernet straight is the best.

In Ventura, manufacturers Ethernet drivers are used in user space? Hm. This might improve general quality.

If this is less sensitive to latency that I imagined, and stacked adapters are actually acceptable, hooking the Magic Halo on your switch and running everything, audio and general networking, from the 10 GbE NIC looks like a fine zero cost solution.
Else, a second-hand Intel X520/X540/X550 card with multiple interfaces, running off the server-grade ixgbe driver in DriverKit, should come well under 200 E.

Agreed. Got some for a client with a Dante based system, worked better than the standard AQ stuff inside their Mac Pro's.

Connecting MH stuff to a switch is not a good idea. They should run daisy-chained(there are 2 ports per unit for this) on a separate network port.

I am actually using 4 separate ethernet adapters/ports on my current Hack, works quite nicely.

Back