Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Yes exactly the same CPU (don't see the real benefits of putting the extra money for a 13700k, both theoretically and for my own usage).
Wise choice in my opinion. Prices are lower and 12th Gen remains a 100% viable processor in today's market.

Just out of curiosity, and if you have the time, why specifically bios 2004 ? The newer ones are not as compatible ? I've read most of the 275 pages of this thread and I remember something about bios versions, but it is quite blurry in my memory.
I recommend 2004 because I'm using it, and can therefore attest to it. To install either of the two newer BIOSes we need to install the supplied Intel Management Engine (ME) in Windows first. Further, there's no compelling benefit to the newer versions. But if your board ships with one of the newer BIOSes, certainly give it a try.

Thanks for the info! Do you know what driver is used for the 2.5 GbE port? A proper Ethernet driver for my audio interface makes a lot of difference. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't care much and some of its drivers are plain lousy.
One way around this is by using a TB3 to TB2 adapter connected to a TB2 to Ethernet adapter. Do you happen to know if this contraption works on the Z790 Creator's TB4 ports?
Monterey uses AppleIntelI210Ethernet kext, but Ventura uses the newer driver kit extension (dext).

I’m not aware of any Thunderbolt 1 or 2 2.5GbE adapter, but the Apple 1-gigabit Ethernet adapter will work through a TB3-to-TB2 adapter. AppleVTD needs to be enabled for this and for the dext in Ventura.

Wise choice in my opinion. Prices are lower and 12th Gen remains a 100% viable processor in today's market.

I recommend 2004 because I'm using it, and can therefore attest to it. To install either of the two newer BIOSes we need to install the supplied Intel Management Engine (ME) in Windows first. Further, there's no compelling benefit to the newer versions. But if your board ships with one of the newer BIOSes, certainly give it a try.
Sorry, but I don't have the Windows on my machine or been using for years. So this Intel Management Engine (ME) is a driver or also a secondary BIOS update? My BIOS is quite old and was planning to update it.

Thanks for the info! Do you know what driver is used for the 2.5 GbE port? A proper Ethernet driver for my audio interface makes a lot of difference. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't care much and some of its drivers are plain lousy.
That should not be the case with Ventura, since DriverKit uses Intel's own drivers. What's lousy here, unfortunately, is the hardware: i225 (3 versions) and i226 have a disconnection issue.

I’m not aware of any Thunderbolt 1 or 2 2.5GbE adapter, but the Apple 1-gigabit Ethernet adapter will work through a TB3-to-TB2 adapter. AppleVTD needs to be enabled for this and for the dext in Ventura.
That should work for @zipb since his audio interface is certainly 1 GbE, but I'd be wary of stacking multiple adapters, and also of TB2 devices with the on-board TB4 (or does the intermediate TB3 layer saves the day?).

Sorry but I don't have the windows on my machine or been using for years..So this Intel Management Engine (ME) is a driver or also a secondary bios update? My bios is quite old and was planning to update it...
It's more like a "secondary" BIOS update, except it's to be applied before the BIOS update.
First rule of BIOS updates: If the hardware is running fine as it is, do NOT update.

It's more like a "secondary" BIOS update, except it's to be applied before the BIOS update.
First rule of BIOS updates: If the hardware is running fine as it is, do NOT update.
Yep I know this rule that's why I'm still on the old one...:crazy:
Just to understand better, any way I don't have windows so.....
thanks

A proper Ethernet driver for my audio interface makes a lot of difference.
Can I ask why this is? Isn't the UAD interface Thunderbolt? Or is it an add-in DSP card that connects via Eth?

TB3 to TB2 adapter connected to a TB2 to Ethernet adapter.
You may want to look into this a bit more. I don't think it'll work as I tried using a TB2->TB3 Apple adapter, and the Thunderbolt header would disable itself. Maybe it was just my model adapter that was old and not compatible? Maybe my board just doesn't like the adapters? Can't say. What I can say is I've read somewhere online that a user daisy chained like that and got their hardware working. But I think this is hit and miss.

What should work is a TB/USBC -> Ethernet adapter, but I'm assuming this will require the Thunderbolt Bus to be active in macOS. (I know it shows up in Big Sur, not Monterey.) Maybe it will work in Monterey/Ventura without showing up in Thunderbolt/USB4? Someone else will need to confirm this though.

@bonfilio124 I think is using a TB->Eth setup from what I read in his Raptor Lake build.

A USB-to-1GbE or USB-to-2.5GbE adapter works well with every version of macOS. Thunderbolt bus not needed and AppleVTD not needed.

That should not be the case with Ventura, since DriverKit uses Intel's own drivers. What's lousy here, unfortunately, is the hardware: i225 (3 versions) and i226 have a disconnection issue.

That should work for @zipb since his audio interface is certainly 1 GbE, but I'd be wary of stacking multiple adapters, and also of TB2 devices with the on-board TB4 (or does the intermediate TB3 layer saves the day?).
Indeed, my Metric Halo interface is 1 GbE. Elaborate tests have shown that real TB ethernet works best, as these have good drivers. This means an expensive Sonnet adapter(> 2
Can i ask why this is? Isn't the UAD interface Thunderbolt? Or is it an add-in DSP card that connects via Eth?

You may want to look into this abit more, i don't think it'll work as i tried using a TB2->TB3 Apple adapter and the Thunderbolt header would disable itself. Maybe it was just my model adapter that was old and not compatible? Maybe my board just doesn't like the adapters? Can't say.. What i can say is i've read somewhere online that a user daisy chained like that and got their hardware working, but i think this is hit and miss.

What should work is a TB/USBC -> Ethernet adapter, but i'm assuming this will require the Thunderbolt Bus to be active in macOS (i know it shows up in Big Sur, not Monterey). Maybe it will work in Monterey/Ventura without showing up in Thunderbolt/USB4? Someone else will need to confirm this though.

@bonfilio124 i think is using a TB->Eth setup from what i read in his Raptor Lake build.

00eu) or the TB3-TB2-1GbE ethernet contraption.
The AQ107 works OK too, but is complete overkill for 1 GbE.

I'd be wary of stacking multiple adapters, and also of TB2 devices with the on-board TB4 (or does the intermediate TB3 layer saves the day?).
Right, that's why I am asking.

Back