Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

@CaseySJ thanks for the answer above.

I still have a 5700xt, I would like to change this card, what would be the best option for z690 with i9 13900k ... that is plug and play with hack?

@CaseySJ thanks for the answer above.

I still have a 5700xt, I would like to change this card, what would be the best option for z690 with i9 13900k ... that is plug and play with hack?
We can use Radeon RX 6600, 6650 (may need device spoofing), 6800, 6900, 6950 (may need device spoofing).

Art Z690-Creator system? Or a different board?
This is for the z790 ProArt Creator
I had this problem on my Z390 Designare a couple of months ago. One of my DIMMs was bad. I had an extra set lying around so I was able to swap a new pair of DIMMs and the problem went away.
Oh boy, I hope it's something else. Fingers crossed!

You read my mind! :)

If I update post 1 for Z790, the implication is that I’m officially supporting it, which is something I cannot adequately do without owning one.
I have the ASUS ProArt Z790-CREATOR WIFI motherboard, and I followed the @CaseySJ thread, with some modifications to the EFI. I successfully installed macOS Ventura. The USB4 and Thunderbolt cards are working properly, although there is no Thunderbolt tree-related information.

We can use Radeon RX 6600, 6650 (may need device spoofing), 6800, 6900, 6950 (may need device spoofing).
... both XT and non-XT versions, correct?

I have the ASUS ProArt Z790-CREATOR WIFI motherboard, and I followed the @CaseySJ thread, with some modifications to the EFI. I successfully installed macOS Ventura. The USB4 and Thunderbolt cards are working properly, although there is no Thunderbolt tree-related information.
What were the modifications to the EFI. TIA.

... both XT and non-XT versions, correct?
Correct. Plus Radeon Pro W6600 and W6800 if you have the budget, or find an opportunity.
But RX 6600 (XT) or W6600 hardly provide a benefit over RX 5700 XT, except for reduced power draw or size (W6600).

+1, I’m also curious about which modifications you made to the EFI.

Please update your Profile Components to reflect your current system.
The system in my configuration is still my primary workstation. I’ll change it once the new system is fully functional and I’ve switched over.

Well then, I think I'm ready to take the plunge and buy all the parts for my Blackintosh 2.0, I had to change from the liquid cooler to an air one as my case doesn't support mounting one correctly (lets avoid air in the pump shall we), not to mention that I've never used a liquid cooler before and so I didn't feel very comfortable about that anyway.
So that meant that my final "to buy" parts list was the following:

CPU: Intel "Alder Lake" Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI ATX LGA1700
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (i.e. the non-RGB version of the same RAM)
SSD's: WD Black SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (as there's no way I'll need 1TB for each OS; I don't keep any non-OS files on those disks as I put everything on other disks)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2 850 W 80+ Titanium
(I already have my case and my GFX to re-use, as mentioned previously, plus other gubbins)

Now, I'm sure that eagle-eyed and knowledgeable readers will already see that the stumbling block I've put before me is that some of these components, as they are all heavily based on the golden build originating the thread, are a bit out of date; as I've looked into buying them I have seen that some are a bit scarce now.

The motherboard- Asus have moved on from the Z690 to the Z790 - this is already being discussed.
The RAM - G.Skill seem to have moved on to the Trident Z5 "Neo" (CL30-38-38-96). Not sure if that's important?
The SSD's - WD have moved on from the SN750 to the SN770- due to the Trim issues mentioned, this is a bit worrying.

Apart from the motherboard (I will try and see if I can get hold of a Z690), are the other substitutions worrisome at all, does anyone think? I really don't want to stray far from the proven & tested, that was the whole point.

Back