Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hi all,
Embarking a a new journey to install OSX on my new computer:
- Asus Pro Art z790 Creator Wifi
- Intel i7 13700K
- GSkil DDR5 2x32Gb
- AMD Radeon RX 6950XT with DP port 1 connected to DP in port 2 on the MB.
- 3 nvme drives WD SN850X (1 for windows, 1 for NixOs, 1 for MacOs). Windows & NixOs are already installed and working fine.
- Updated the onboard WIFI/ BT card with BCM94360NG and working great with Windows / Linux (Wifi & BT)
- Apple Studio Display connected to TB port 1 with apple TB 4 cable.

I have downloaded the EFI (0.9.2) posted by @CaseySJ in page 156, updated the SMBIOS info, related CPU/GPU models and set SecureBootModel to "Default".

When I try to boot of the usb stick, it boots, output a lot of logs before falling into somekind of loop.
I don't know enough to understand where is the problem, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell what is going on...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4953 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4953 (1).jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 21
Hello @tlvenn,

Because the 6950XT is not natively supported, are you spoofing its device ID to that of a 6900XT?

Hi @CaseySJ,

I don't understand what happened to my post, it seems to have disappeared...

So I do have the aml file to spoof the device id with the proper ACPI path for the z790 thanks to another member of this forum. However, I read that even if you don't spoof the device, it should still work, you would only loose hardware acceleration.

So given I wanted to run your EFI as pristine as possible, I chose not to include it at this step. Is my understanding wrong regarding this ?

@tlvenn

There are a small number of factors that would explain the problem you’re seeing:
  • GPU device ID — it’s okay to add the spoofing SSDT
  • BIOS version
  • BIOS settings
Do you have another monitor, one that accepts DP or HDMI directly? If so, let’s use that temporarily.

I added the aml files and it seems like it does not loop anymore but get stuck eventually, may be that's progress lol.
The bios version is 0904 and my bios settings are exactly as your guide. The only notable exception is primary display is set to PCIx instead of PEG.

I dont have any other screen around but cound probably hook it up to my tv with HDMI.

Thanks again for your help.

The updated log:

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpeg
    IMG_4954.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 25
I added the aml files and it seems like it does not loop anymore but get stuck eventually, may be that's progress lol.
The bios version is 0904 and my bios settings are exactly as your guide. The only notable exception is primary display is set to PCIx instead of PEG.

I dont have any other screen around but cound probably hook it up to my tv with HDMI.

Thanks again for your help.

The updated log:
Might be good to compress and post your EFI folder with serial numbers removed so others with Z790 ProArt can also help.

Just to confirm: You’re trying to install latest Ventura?

Might be good to compress and post your EFI folder with serial numbers removed so others with Z790 ProArt can also help.
Oky will do that next.

Just to confirm: You’re trying to install latest Monterey?
Ha indeed important piece of information, i am trying to install Ventura directly.
From the new log I see one error that is probably related to the new aml file to spoof the device ID of the GPU

> Couldn't build index for com.apple.kextload: Not eligible for acceleration
Have you seen that before ?

@tlvenn

Are both AppleALC and AppleALCU kexts enabled in Kernel section of config.plist? Only the former should be enabled.

I saw this too @P1LGRIM and went to check that only one of those 2 kext where actually enabled as it should be.

I am using PropreTree to edit the config and used "OC Snapshot" once I added my new aml file but wondering if Propertree did not actually touch more than that because I did not have this issue before...

Back