Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I updated my 2019 MBP to 13.4. Bluetooth works great with keyboard and mouse.

Yup those two boards are almost identical.
I know you can't go on forever, but it would be great if @CaseySJ could update the OP post#1 to explicity reflect how to use the Z790 with the original EFI. Specifically, the implications on things like Thunderbolt and the USB map.

Thank you for the reminder, beelzebozo. I have tried it, but it didn't work. It's possible that I made a mistake somewhere. I will give it another try tomorrow when I'm working.
Hi, did you manage to fix it? I tried to make it work but I could not so far.

I know you can't go on forever, but it would be great if @CaseySJ could update the OP post#1 to explicity reflect how to use the Z790 with the original EFI. Specifically, the implications on things like Thunderbolt and the USB map.
That would require having a Z790 ProArt to check the little differences first hand. @CaseySJ has many systems, but he cannot own and maintain all possible or desirable systems…

That would require having a Z790 ProArt to check the little differences first hand. @CaseySJ has many systems, but he cannot own and maintain all possible or desirable systems…
You read my mind! :)

If I update post 1 for Z790, the implication is that I’m officially supporting it, which is something I cannot adequately do without owning one.

Good morning @CaseySJ
Would you have a simple solution to activate the usb ports hs3 hs4 hs5 and hs6?
They are the only doors that I have never been able to use until today.
I use Hackidrom and generate my EFI automatically through it, everything works except these ports.
Thanks .

@ckrueger99 @CaseySJ

I’d like to help if possible. I’m trying to get mine up and running but it hasn’t been as plug-and-play as others have mentioned.

I think my primary issue might have been with my BIOS — specifically a combo of version number and CFG Lock — since the only way I managed to get my OS (Big Sur) to install was by downgrading to 0714 bios, and enabling AppleXcpmCfgLock and Apple puPmCfgLock. I also added an npci=0x2000 boot arg, and lowered my RAM to 4800MHz for good measure.

RAM is working fine at 5600MHz after Big Sur install, so I can’t say for sure if that was a real reason for my KP’s prior to install. Will also try without npci boot arg to rule that out as well.

Note for those with KF CPU’s: ProvideCpuInfo is definitely still required. I read (link) that it wasn’t necessary, but my system would KP without it, unless I disabled the E-Cores.

Also, I experienced the “gray screen” issue despite the fixes previously provided by @CaseySJ. The only way I managed to get to the installer screen was through the “old” way: Booting up a pre-installed macOS drive and setting the startup disk in System Preferences.

I haven’t had any success upgrading to Monterey or Ventura — I keep getting an “installer damaged” error.

I’m still in the process of troubleshooting and combing through this thread, but I can post back with my findings.

Good morning @CaseySJ
Would you have a simple solution to activate the usb ports hs3 hs4 hs5 and hs6?
They are the only doors that I have never been able to use until today.
I use Hackidrom and generate my EFI automatically through it, everything works except these ports.
Thanks .
Hello @Rag,

Please see if this item in Post 1 helps:

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 8.59.12 AM.png

Reactions: Rag
@ckrueger99 @CaseySJ

I’d like to help if possible. I’m trying to get mine up and running but it hasn’t been as plug-and-play as others have mentioned.
Is this a new Asus ProArt Z690-Creator system? Or a different board?

Note for those with KF CPU’s: ProvideCpuInfo is definitely still required. I read (link) that it wasn’t necessary, but my system would KP without it, unless I disabled the E-Cores.
That link points to a very early version of OpenCore. Today, ProvideCurrentCpuInfo is needed for all Intel CPUs with mixed cores.

I haven’t had any success upgrading to Monterey or Ventura — I keep getting an “installer damaged” error.

I had this problem on my Z390 Designare a couple of months ago. One of my DIMMs was bad. I had an extra set lying around so I was able to swap a new pair of DIMMs and the problem went away.

Back