Contribute
Register

Asus Z590-E WIFI Gaming No longer boots after BIOS update

You know what both boards have in common, no?

I'll tell you, as I don't want to keep you in suspense. The common factor is You - 'The User'.

The chances of you buying or receiving two Asus motherboards where the USB ports only work at USB2 speed is a big fat ZERO.

You are doing something wrong, that causes the system to fail to activate any USB3 ports at their native speed.
And I'm sorry but I dont think you needed to reply like that! If I'm not mistaken you were helping me out prior maybe im wrong there dont feel like scrolling back right now....I may not be very good with the OC stuff close to dumb Ill be the first to tell you that, but I'm not stupid I wouldnt have been this far if I hadnt already tested the speeds I mean that was one of the first things early on ASUS requested didnt u think of that dude? Didnt need to treat me like im stupid and be disrespectful like that when your completely WRONG to say the least!

As mentioned before if said company screws me over I will post everything and you can see with your OWN EYES!

Reverting back to the bios that worked prior was possible but the same problem still existed. get this asus is making an exception (having clarified what the exception is yet) for me but once again refused to answer my question on whether or not its true that even boards with USB 3 or USB 3.2 ports and colored as such are capped out at 2.0 speeds and they continue to ignore me when I ask for clarification!

Prior to BIOS update I ran Big Sur and Monterey just fine as I had both installatons running just testing some things so I can confirm that.

And im starting to lose faith in ASUS, not just because of the situation because nobody is perfect and mistakes happen I cant wrong someone (as long as they make it right) for one mistake! The problem I'm hearing is content creators are being shipped dead products left and right and its been hard to get them replaced.... Ive hard problems with certain ASUS bios bricking boards, I think there is one other thing in the news forget....We will see Im still gonna consider myself an ASUS fan for now... I have a monitor by them and other products as well I really hate to lose them as this motherboard situation is the only time ive run into problems with them.....

Yes, as they say - nothing is impossible. Asus may have released a buggy BIOS.

There are three common ways to flash a BIOS - QFlash from the present BIOS, Windows utility or external bootable USB. Honestly surprised if the bootable USB doesn't do it because that's often how to rescue a bricked motherboard. But if you've tried and it doesn't then ... Another negative, backward step for Asus. :rolleyes:

Yes, as they say - nothing is impossible. Asus may have released a buggy BIOS.

There are three common ways to flash a BIOS - QFlash from the present BIOS, Windows utility or external bootable USB. Honestly surprised if the bootable USB doesn't do it because that's often how to rescue a bricked motherboard. But if you've tried and it doesn't then ... Another negative, backward step for Asus. :rolleyes:
I used the BIOS flashback port which they suggested I do lol! I know its really hard to believe but its really starting to sound true both those board even tho they had plenty of USB 3+ ports only capped out at USB 2 Speeds.... thats pretty sad! Again I have no truth of this only speculation at this point I dont want to say they did something when they end up being completely innocent because again Im still a customer unless they dont make this situation right somehow!

I used the BIOS flashback port which they suggested I do lol! I know its really hard to believe but its really starting to sound true both those board even tho they had plenty of USB 3+ ports only capped out at USB 2 Speeds.... thats pretty sad! Again I have no truth of this only speculation at this point I dont want to say they did something when they end up being completely innocent because again Im still a customer unless they dont make this situation right somehow!
you also mentioned on the other page that the ports all work fine in windows?

you also mentioned on the other page that the ports all work fine in windows?
which post the one you quoted? Well I do believe they were working at one point as I never made any changes to my OC stuff and I know the day before it worked, the next it didnt....I'm refferring to macOS itself booting, but I'll have to go back and look at what I said lol!

Also ASUS finally sent me an email reply they confirmed that in fact BOTH of the boards I had EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE USB 3+ ports on them the boards are capped out at USB 2.0!! They said they are willing to offer an exception given the situation but they have wasted the last year of my life unless they offer me something good I think im going to speak with an attorney first because I dont see how it can be legal to say your product supports USB 3+ speeds but truthfully it doesnt.......

Yes they work in windows. Now yall can believe me with what ASUS told me or not its up to yall not sweat off my back... Ill update if they ever give me an answer any clarify that stupid answer
@odine2012,

Okay I understand and heard what you said about Asus’ reply and trying to be fair to you and everyone else will say this. Despite Asus saying the ports are capped at USB 2.0 you now confirmed they work in Windows at USB 3.0 speeds. That means they can work at those speeds in macOS. It’s likely that the BIOS update could have changed the system’s internal layout for USB. Have you tried to remap it and/or use a different custom USB map? Ie. UTBMap or USBmap.kext

Last edited:
I already custom generate my SSDTs using SSDTTime and I re-generated them after BIOS update just to be safe as well!

The SSDT-RHUB can this be custom generated as well?
I haven't fully caught up on this thread so maybe already covered, but Corpnew USBmap can produce an RHUB-reset tailored to board-specific roots as a side chore.

Thats your opionion... Its wrong but your entitled to having it! Not gonna bother posting proof of their idiocy as it seems it wont get me anymore with yall just keep protecting ASUS! I must have blown on the case thats why it just stopped working out of the blue!

I'm sympathetic to your plight, but you have gone down the rabbit hole and got lost.

Pop back up. Your board supports USB 3. BIOS updates are not the culprit. Asus support is either shining you on, or hopelessly misunderstands your concerns. They prolly chuckle about it.

••• First, boot an Ubunu ISO and test a couple of ports. If they are limited to USB2, RMA the board.

I doubt you will find that they are limited.

Next, you need to look further into your config.

The #1 reason your ports will be skrogged is a bad USB port map.

So concentrate your energy there.

A sane starting place will be to download someone else's working Asus Z590 EFI and build from that.

Make one change at a time, and stay focused on problem at hand.

You will retrace all your steps building from that known EFI.

With this approach, I'm sure you're going to figure it out and get things under control.

The first thing is to determine if the board is defective!

which post the one you quoted?
1.jpg

...and it's worth saying that even *if* some BIOS error caused USB ports to only run at USB2 speeds then that would NOT stop macOS from booting. Period.

What might is if the setting for Secure Boot in BIOS is enabled.

As was suggested previously, don't concentrate on the BIOS, boot a Linux Live USB and check the hardware report. I suspect it will be fine.

Back