Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z590E
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK so again my motherboard is Asus Z590-E Wifi Gaming everything was fine when I was running BIOS 1601 but I decided to update as BIOS 1701 had stability updates to it so I figured no harm no foul... Now I cant even downgrade this BIOS which I should be able todo, but ever since I updated and that is the ONLY change MacOS Ventura no longer boots...

My question is this I would like to update OpenCore as that could fix it right there, but again I cant boot into MacOS I only have access to Windows 11... I know how to mount the EFI drive and what not and with Explorer++ I know you can edit stuff on the drive but you cannot add files over to it... Is there anyways from within Windows 11 I would be able to read/write to my EFI drive containing OpenCore?

I would question if the Bios Flash completed correctly. You may need to re-flash the bios to get it working again.

I assume you can create a USB with the latest bios on the drive in Windows, which you can use to flash the bios to clear any issues.

You would also need to re-set your bios using the guide below, to allow macOS to boot on your Comet Lake system.

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 10.56.07.png Intel Bios settings

OK so again my motherboard is Asus Z590-E Wifi Gaming everything was fine when I was running BIOS 1601 but I decided to update as BIOS 1701 had stability updates to it so I figured no harm no foul... Now I cant even downgrade this BIOS which I should be able todo, but ever since I updated and that is the ONLY change MacOS Ventura no longer boots...

My question is this I would like to update OpenCore as that could fix it right there, but again I cant boot into MacOS I only have access to Windows 11... I know how to mount the EFI drive and what not and with Explorer++ I know you can edit stuff on the drive but you cannot add files over to it... Is there anyways from within Windows 11 I would be able to read/write to my EFI drive containing OpenCore?
As always, great advice from @Edhawk, check your bios settings. They would have reverted to defaults after the update. That alone would keep OSX from booting. Asus notes on its website bios 1701 cannot be downgraded without using the flashback option, take that with a grain of salt though. If it was to work you'd still not be able to boot OSX without resetting your bios options. See below

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1701

Version 1701
11.37 MB 2022/12/29
"1. Improve system stability
2. Improve compatibility with NVIDIA RTX40 series cards

Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 15.0.42.2235 to ensure optimized system settings.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ590E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

Remark: Please note this version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous version, except via USB BIOS FlashBack™."

Hey sorry for the delay I appreciate all the info... headed to dr appt after that ill be home redoing my bios i hadnt thought of that and i cant believe i didnt u make a great point could be as simple as that.. the ME stuff already updated... also it is flashback as there are others that have done it and the higher up techs at ASUS keeo telling me it can be done... gotta get my hands on another flash drive and try on a different flash drive if all else fails...... again tho thank u ill reply if any luck!

OK again sorry about delay, but I reflashed the newest BIOS multiple times and still nothing.. Im so lost I dont get how things could get this messed up from a bios update and for whatever reason stupid asus flashback is not working at all for me...... ughhhh

Which if any of the 4 x LED's are lit up when you boot the system? Item 21 on layout below.
What error code is shown on the Q-Code LED when you boot the system. Item 20 on layout below.

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 21.58.21.pngQ-Code LED and LED's highlighted
Sections extracted from motherboard user manual.
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 22.03.53.png

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 22.03.42.png

You are using the process explained below to Flash your bios, yes?

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 22.05.46.png Flashback Bios process.

OK again sorry about delay, but I reflashed the newest BIOS multiple times and still nothing.. Im so lost I dont get how things could get this messed up from a bios update and for whatever reason stupid asus flashback is not working at all for me...... ughhhh

You wrote you can't boot macOS but pls say where it fails... Not seeing drive at all, or does startup get underway then fall?

Assuming the macOS instance gets started: If you didn't save your settings and restore after the update, that is the problem.

But if you did preserve your settings, then maybe verify the restore worked as expected.

I am using 1701 on z590 Hero with OC as early as 0.8.8 and Ventura and it works. Have since updated OC to latest, but I doubt OC version update will have any bearing whatsoever on regaining access.

Which if any of the 4 x LED's are lit up when you boot the system? Item 21 on layout below.
What error code is shown on the Q-Code LED when you boot the system. Item 20 on layout below.

View attachment 568288Q-Code LED and LED's highlighted
Sections extracted from motherboard user manual.
View attachment 568290

View attachment 568289

You are using the process explained below to Flash your bios, yes?

View attachment 568291 Flashback Bios process.
Lemme check on that tonight and get right back to you, but yes thats the flashback process I'm following... I even went as far as unplugging everythig except the power and the usb to the tower, even removed the ram as I read somewhere that might help nothing gets the bios to flashback.. Ive also tried multiple USB drives thinking possibly compatiblity issues but even nothing there... Im going to turn on logging I dunno why I havent yet already I guess its cuz I didnt change a single thing... I was in macOS i booted to bios to update then update complete and next thing u know I can no longer boot mac os.....

Lemme check on that tonight and get right back to you, but yes thats the flashback process I'm following... I even went as far as unplugging everythig except the power and the usb to the tower, even removed the ram as I read somewhere that might help nothing gets the bios to flashback.. Ive also tried multiple USB drives thinking possibly compatiblity issues but even nothing there... Im going to turn on logging I dunno why I havent yet already I guess its cuz I didnt change a single thing... I was in macOS i booted to bios to update then update complete and next thing u know I can no longer boot mac os.....
Just had a quick look at your issue online. It seems that Asus officially states it is not possible to rollback the firmware for this motherboard to 1601 because the update was quite significant. > https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/gaming-motherboards/z590-e-gaming-wifi-bios-rollback/td-p/933935

Which means your only option now is to work with the existing EFI and have it updated to what settings @c-o-pr is using.

Back