Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pathway looks very similar to the X299 but there are a few differences :
- There are specific kernel patches xcpm_core_scope_msrs and xcpm_SMT_scope_msrs to add to config.plist, some are relevant to the OSX version you are going to install.
- Another point about BIOS firmware provided by the different Mainbaord manufacturers : to overcome CPU performance issue (with or without overclocking) , an Intel CPU microcode update within the respective BIOS firmware distributions is mandatory.

Ok, so now after installation I understand what you wrote

Everything works for me except for the overclock to the CPU
You know where to get a kernel patches xcpm_core_scope_msrs and xcpm_SMT_scope_msrs to 10.15

I tried to find online
But none of them worked properly and well
d48e7e41-c9e1-4a71-ae2f-91d2cbfbacb4.jpg

This would be the polite point for you to start a new thread dedicated to your decidedly not X299 motherboard, and continue the conversation there.

This would be the polite point for you to start a new thread dedicated to your decidedly not X299 motherboard, and continue the conversation there.

we all x99 and x299 came from the same place... from a kgp giude
we all a Power User's

Not only am I not polite
I am so polite that I think that is exactly here
There are the highest quality people

And also while helping forward to Power User x299 and x99

This is why we end up with thousand page threads that are impossible to follow. As an X299 user I don't want/need to hear about (and filter out) issues for an unrelated motherboard series, but hey, it's a free world, and you sound like you're going to do whatever you feel like doing :thumbup:

Gotta love the internet :lol:

This is why we end up with thousand page threads that are impossible to follow. As an X299 user I don't want/need to hear about (and filter out) issues for an unrelated motherboard series, but hey, it's a free world, and you sound like you're going to do whatever you feel like doing :thumbup:

Gotta love the internet :lol:

I truly truly believe there are the smartest people on this subject

I also read full of other trades, just don't understand what they are doing :)

But if it bothers people I will only comment on x299

For sure, you could open a specific thread in which we could discuss X99 development specifically for Catalina.
Since the departure of Kgp there is no more support and I think it would be useful.
I will take a look a this new thread of course ;)
( EG : there are new specific kernel patches xcpm_core_scope_msrs and xcpm_SMT_scope_msrs to add to config.plist for Catalina)

Hi All,

wonder if any kind soul can give me the advise...

I'm current on X99 with an E5-2696v4. I'm thinking of upgrading to x299, but wish to know if it will still need the xcpm kernel patches to boot on catalina. as of now, I have to always update the kernel patches to be able to boot on an update.....

Hi All,

wonder if any kind soul can give me the advise...

I'm current on X99 with an E5-2696v4. I'm thinking of upgrading to x299, but wish to know if it will still need the xcpm kernel patches to boot on catalina. as of now, I have to always update the kernel patches to be able to boot on an update.....

I've been with x299 for a year now
work Excellent with no problems with updates

And I had a motherboard and a disassembled x99 processor in a box

Just the last few days I remembered how hard it is to make Hackintosh on x99 platform and remembered why in 2018 I put it in a box back... it's a $ 2,000 CPU

I think x299 will make your life a lot easier
Now I appreciate even more my x299

Or you can check out OpenCore
At the following link @Mace says that with a single click he solved the problem

P.S.
Just so you understand what am I talking about
If you jump one or two pages back you will see I rebuilt my x99 computer
You will already see the process I went through

Last edited:
I'm seeing an unusual (but repeatable) behaviour with my X299 setup that I was hoping others had seen/solved. The specs of my build are listed in my signature, but I am using OpenCore 0.5.5 and running macOS Catalina 10.15.3. I have FileVault enabled for my boot drive.

If I boot my rig from "cold" (ie. it's off completely), I see the following behaviour:

It boots fine to the FileVault login screen, and allows me to enter my password. As soon as I've done that and hit enter, I get the "can't boot logo" (the circle with a slash through it — ⌀).

This happens twice. I power off the machine each time, and start it back up using the power button.

On the third attempt, the machine boots fine (although often the BCM43xx WiFi/Bluetooth add-in card doesn't start properly - a subsequent reboot is required to get it to function).

Has anyone seen anything like this? To my mind, it seems like it could be an NVRAM issue, or a USB issue (given the behaviour of the WiFi/BT card).

I'm seeing an unusual (but repeatable) behaviour with my X299 setup that I was hoping others had seen/solved. The specs of my build are listed in my signature, but I am using OpenCore 0.5.5 and running macOS Catalina 10.15.3. I have FileVault enabled for my boot drive.

If I boot my rig from "cold" (ie. it's off completely), I see the following behaviour:

It boots fine to the FileVault login screen, and allows me to enter my password. As soon as I've done that and hit enter, I get the "can't boot logo" (the circle with a slash through it — ⌀).

This happens twice. I power off the machine each time, and start it back up using the power button.

On the third attempt, the machine boots fine (although often the BCM43xx WiFi/Bluetooth add-in card doesn't start properly - a subsequent reboot is required to get it to function).

Has anyone seen anything like this? To my mind, it seems like it could be an NVRAM issue, or a USB issue (given the behaviour of the WiFi/BT card).

Just out of curiosity
Why do you work with OC and not Clover?

There is a special advantage that made you choose OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back