Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ICEVISION originally because OpenCore was so much faster than Clover to boot on my setup. Now… I dunno - it seems like there's less legacy support in OpenCore, which means it should (in theory) be quicker to improve. Acidanthera look after so much of the Hackintosh scene's workarounds and kexts that it just made sense to use the bootloader that they themselves are working on.

I don't know that there's much difference in use, mind you. There's certainly a fair bit of work in maintaining an OpenCore setup across updates - you have to do it all by hand, and manually walk through the change log and documentation with each release.

@ICEVISION & @tonyarnold,

OpenCore is the way of the future. However, it is still in Beta at version 0.56, which means it still has a long way to go for production use. Consequently, unless you're adventurous and have some indepth computer knowledge, I recommend you stick with Clover.

@Stork and anyone else interested. I've been running OpenCore for few months now and it is extremely stable. True, there's a bit of learning curve, but because it's closer to a real mac, there is also a sense of simplicity ( Look at the structure of my EFI Folder ). The only thing that the official release cannot provide is a stable Multi-boot environment ( Windows, Linux, OSX, etc..) Thankfully a user/coder named n.d.k. has provided a fork/customization for OpenCore that compensates all the voids that the Official release is lacking. I've been exclusively running his fork (regularly updated in parallel to OC ). I'm running a quadruple boot system with Catalina, Mojave, Windows 10 & Linux and the experience has been very smooth.I believe @mm2margaret is also using it. I wish I had more time in my hands to provide the necessary help for those who wish to make that jump, but I simply cannot at the present time. I still plan to create a thread in this forum for my future 28 Core Hack, as soon as I'll have the time and patience to do so.
Live long and Prosper. :headbang:

OpenCore 0.56
ScreenShot-2020-02-15-202647.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 19.48.45.png

Yes, I run it as well. I am running the NDK fork of OC. It's fantastic, and I run file vault which works just like my real macbook pro. I never was able to get file vault to run on Clover and my X299. Never.

I had issues with Clover 101 and 103, which were unstable, and would spit out boot error after boot error, but never with OC. Boots first time, every time.

I want also to compliment NDK, who has done a great job with his fork of OC. It has features that can compensate for NVRAM issues, meaning for me, primarily, controlling booting. He's also much more responsive in helping with troubleshooting, which is very handy. He continues to improve it, and issues new builds regularly.

And finally, if you are an OC purist (and there are a few of those), you can run pure OC and just use NDK's menu fork utility which is approved by the OC developers.

So, either with the NDK fork of OC, or just with his menu utility and the pure version of OC, you can choose your own background, and control booting by adding some menu entries.

Yes, it takes more work, and is more technically challenging than Clover. I guess I could say its not for the technically challenged, but I'm not a programmer, (I'm a Video and Audio editor) and I managed to get through it.

And finally, you need to customize it to your own machine, so don't just ask for an EFI, because for the most part, you won't get it. You need to build your own OC system and files, customized to your own systems' needs/requirements. There are some good guides out there on the web. You just have to search for them and they're not hard to find.

Just a word for the wise, this utility is not for beginners. As others have noted, it's still a beta....

Last edited:
On the third attempt, the machine boots fine (although often the BCM43xx WiFi/Bluetooth add-in card doesn't start properly - a subsequent reboot is required to get it to function).

Has anyone seen anything like this? To my mind, it seems like it could be an NVRAM issue, or a USB issue (given the behaviour of the WiFi/BT card).

Tony: I saw a similar issue after issue booting with my combo Broadcom card, but only with Clover 101 and 103, never with OC....and I had never seen that issue at all until 10.15.2.....10.15.0 and 10.15.1 booted just fine. However, now with OC, it boots fine (I'm on the NDK version of OC 0.5.6). I just updated to 10.15.4 B2, and the system boots normally. Of course, as with any beta, there are minor issues, but it's up and stable enough.

Last edited:
Yes, it takes more work, and is more technically challenging than Clover. I guess I could say its not for the technically challenged, but I'm not a programmer, (I'm a Video and Audio editor) and I managed to get through it.
Just a word for the wise, this utility is not for beginners. As others have noted, it's still a beta....
Yes, it is technically challenging. I, too, am not a programmer (retired aerospace engineer/Sr. manager) but I understand enough to know that it's not for me right now. (I'm the type of user that needs the Uni/Multi Beasts.) Consequently, I'll watch the progress of OC and start experimenting when the beta builds get into the .9's.

Keep up the good work. I'll be reading with interest.

I've been running OpenCore for few months now and it is extremely stable.
I have Desktop working in OC . But try Laptop...Too complicated. Not enough info anywhere. To setup a properly working laptop hack, with 30 ACPI patches and tons of kexts and ACPI files if we do not know exactly what is being done it will always ends in kernel panic. Unless someone invents Clover to OpenCore coverter and save us.

Last edited:
I have Desktop working in OC . But try Laptop...Too complicated. Not enough info anywhere. To setup a properly working laptop hack, with 30 ACPI patches and tons of kexts and ACPI files if we do not know exactly what is being done it will always ends in kernel panic. Unless someone invents Clover to OpenCore coverter and save us.
which laptop have you tried? mine and your Asus are very similar , have a play

Attachments

• OC.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 68
I’ve been running the Acidanthera builds of OC since August of last year in my edit suite (OSX 10.13.6) and it has been completely stable. The vanilla guide tells you every thing you need to know to setup the config.plist for most modern chipsets, X299 and AMD included. The future looks bright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back