Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time Hackintosher, been studying OC for about 6 months, but man it's difficult being a newbie and getting in there and running into sorts of problems (bios issues/gpu issues/setting issues).

Running an x299 Asus deluxe and think I've somewhat got it pretty good other than the following:
1. Occasionally I get a "Couldn't allocate runtime area". I restart the computer (literally changing nothing) and it works fine. This may be since I'm still booting off of a USB?

2. If I try playing a youtube video it works fine but eventually freezes and power needs to be recycled. Log isn't descriptive. I have an XFX R9 280 (yes XFX is terrible for osx) and had to flash the bios (after literally trying 10 of them) finally got one that worked. I'm assuming the problem is GPU related?

3. Since GPU may be problematic, I'm thinking of upgrading to a rx580 or a vega64. I don't really game, I'm a comp developer so either of these GPUs I think would be overkill, but is one much more OOB or Mac friendly? I know both have been recommended by Apple, but also read both have/could give issues? Is this the case? SSDT/Kexts still required for both?

4. Tried updating my bios to 3006, but I read a few pages earlier that someone said it's problematic? I haven't tried any other bios, but 3006 was unbootable for me, so I gave up hope. I believe KGP year or so back said to stay on 1503, is this still the case? Any reason not to upgrade or reasons to upgrade (better performance/resolving errors/stability).

Thanks!! Much appreciation and huge thanks.

Last edited:
First time Hackintosher, been studying OC for about 6 months, but man it's difficult being a newbie and getting in there and running into sorts of problems (bios issues/gpu issues/setting issues).

Running an x299 Asus deluxe and think I've somewhat got it pretty good other than the following:
1. Occasionally I get a "Couldn't allocate runtime area". I restart the computer (literally changing nothing) and it works fine. This may be since I'm still booting off of a USB?

2. If I try playing a youtube video it works fine but eventually freezes and power needs to be recycled. Log isn't descriptive. I have an XFX R9 280 (yes XFX is terrible for osx) and had to flash the bios (after literally trying 10 of them) finally got one that worked. I'm assuming the problem is GPU related?

3. Since GPU may be problematic, I'm thinking of upgrading to a rx580 or a vega64. I don't really game, I'm a comp developer so either of these GPUs I think would be overkill, but is one much more OOB or Mac friendly? I know both have been recommended by Apple, but also read both have/could give issues? Is this the case? SSDT/Kexts still required for both?

4. Tried updating my bios to 3006, but I read a few pages earlier that someone said it's problematic? I haven't tried any other bios, but 3006 was unbeatable for me, so I gave up hope. I believe KGP year or so back said to stay on 1503, is this still the case? Any reason not to upgrade or reasons to upgrade (better performance/resolving errors/stability).

Thanks!! Much appreciation and huge thanks.

@hasseye share your Efi clover.

I switched to a sapphire nitro + 5700xt and everything is perfect with smbios imacpro1,1.

Bios 3006 have problem in msr control use 2002.

@hasseye share your Efi clover.

I switched to a sapphire nitro + 5700xt and everything is perfect with smbios imacpro1,1.

Bios 3006 have problem in msr control use 2002.

Thanks will try updating to bios 2002 and see if that helps out with anything.

I'd love to upgrade to the 5700xt, just can't justify the cost for someone who does very little graphical work :( Got the x299 platform for the RAM slots and heavily multi-core CPUs. I have the option to get an RX580 for $75 or a vega64 for $175. Both are 8GB RAM. I'd prefer the cheaper option, but if it's going to cause me more headaches then forget it lol, I'll pay the extra money.

I don't use clover, I'm an OpenCore (0.5.6) guy, but I'll be happy to share that to see if I'm missing anything.

Tried searching, but seems like a lot of x299 people aren't using the macpro7,1 SMBIOS. Nothing for us to gain using it? Anything for us to lose though instead?

an explanation as why this happens, and why only sometimes can be found here:

:)

@hasseye , update bios to 2002 and activate 4g decoding in bios.
the rx580 work fine , I have 2 rx580 in 2 machines.
I have tried smbios 7.1 and imacpro1.1 and there is no difference at the moment. I use imacpro1,1.
Opencore is talked about as the future, but for the moment, I read there better stay in clover.

Hello
I have an ASUS X299 sage 10G
due to the number of PCIe Cards (Two Radeon VII and I deckling 8Kpro) I have to put the thunderbolt Titan ridge Card in the THIRD PCIe Slot.
I set the thunderbolt BIOS setting per the KGP guide
I use Clover
I put the the SSDT for thunderbolt in theAPCI/patched folder. Is this one mandatory ?
Do I need to modify this SSDT and How ?

Hot plug isn't working (It's not my goal)
An Ultra studio mini 4K has been recognized once, but as soon as Resolve try to use it, the OS has frozen.
Any Idea ?
Thanks in advance

P.S. I could put the Titan ridge into the SECOND PCIe Slot if I could put one the Radeon VII in the SEVENTH PCIe slot, but the USB 3.0 internal connector get in the way:banghead: any advice ?
EDIT
I found That :https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07FN1KW81/?tag=tonymacx8607-21

Last edited:
HELP
I'm running 13.6 successfully from KGP's guide since 2 years now and I need Navi support for 4k+ work
trying to Install 15.3
I can boot into the installer screen language, diskutility format install reboot, all smooth
then boot from the install on the disk and it reboots when 10% remaining

Got everything in place and followed the kgp Mojave guide and reading many threads read every page here.
clover 5.9.3 & 5101 bootloader
bios 1503
created usb with terminal for clean install with the SSDT-EC.aml in ../patched
also TSCAdjustReset.kext
could someone please take a look at my efi
Many of you have this board so maybe someone could share there efi
X299 Prime deluxe
i97980XE
GTXGT170 (for install) then RX 5700 XT

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 71
OSX_153.jpeg

I am stuck here and it keeps rebooting I've tried a lot of different things somebody help ?

View attachment 452991

I am stuck here and it keeps rebooting I've tried a lot of different things somebody help ?

I have the same MB and CPU(X299,7980xe currently building) as you. I created a USB installation flash drive using your EFI. Everything went fine with a fresh installation of 10.15.3. The only thing I have different from yours is the Graphic card, I have a Radeon VII on it. So I'm guessing it is the graphic card that is giving you the problem. Why don't you just install the RX5700XT on it and give it a try??

Last edited:
OK Thank you for your response and testing with my efi folder I try now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back