Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a brief overview of your attached files, so I would like to go further and can you attach you system DSDT (you can compile it with MaciASL on your working configuration on Mojave and also your preboot.log (which you can store into the folder /EFI/CLOVER/misc by pressing F2 on the Clover boot screen.)
We will try with Clover OcQuirks after requiried adjustment.
In fact here, we have time to do a lot with containment measures for the preservation of health. ;)

@Loloflatsix Thanks a lot, please find attached. Let me know if this is what you requested.

Attachments

• DSDT:preboot.zip
    59.7 KB · Views: 42
Hi Everyone,

Took the plunge and decided to do a build to replace my ageing MacPro 2013 (I had a hackintosh before fresh build was detailed in this forum some 7 years ago).

Since the new Mac Pro is so expensive and I need a bit more performance for my day to day job tasks, I have been reading this thread from the start and picked the X299 to start my build, Below are the components I picked:

Motherboard:
Asus Prime X299-A II Intel X-Series ATX Motherboard

CPU:
Intel 16 Core i9 9960X Skylake-X Refresh CPU/Processor

GFX:
RADEON RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Storage:
Gigabyte AORUS 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

Power:
Corsair RMi Series 850W 80+ GOLD Full Modular Power Supply

Would the components above (specially motherboard and GFX) give a straightforward build with Catalina? FYI my budget is around £2500 for the above with the exception of case and screen (looking at the LG 43UN700)

Another question, if I get a second RADEON RX 5700 would I be able to use both in Catalina? Is the 5700 any different from the 5700XT when it comes to compatibility?

Thanks in advance everyone :-D

@Loloflatsix Thanks a lot, please find attached. Let me know if this is what you requested.
@Loloflatsix
I had successfully installed Catalina using DSM2 explicit tutorial. It worked like a charm after updating properly every kext and driver and clover.

I have another problem, everything worked well using Vega64. I tried replacing the Vega with my new 5700XT and have used in the boot flag: agdpmod=pikera but no joy. Please find attached where it stopped.

Let me know if you have any advice.

PS: I've attached my EFI in case anyone has a similar setup with mine and wants to make things work quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3232.jpg
    IMG_3232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 76
  • EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 78
@Loloflatsix
I had successfully installed Catalina using @DSM2 explicit tutorial. It worked like a charm after updating properly every kext and driver and clover.

I have another problem, everything worked well using Vega64. I tried replacing the Vega with my new 5700XT and have used in the boot flag: agdpmod=pikera but no joy. Please find attached where it stopped.

PS: I've attached my EFI in case anyone has a similar setup with mine and wants to make things work quickly.
OK : I will check that this evening with the attached file from your previous post

Hi Everyone,

Took the plunge and decided to do a build to replace my ageing MacPro 2013 (I had a hackintosh before fresh build was detailed in this forum some 7 years ago).

Since the new Mac Pro is so expensive and I need a bit more performance for my day to day job tasks, I have been reading this thread from the start and picked the X299 to start my build, Below are the components I picked:

Motherboard:
Asus Prime X299-A II Intel X-Series ATX Motherboard

CPU:
Intel 16 Core i9 9960X Skylake-X Refresh CPU/Processor

GFX:
RADEON RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Storage:
Gigabyte AORUS 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive

Power:
Corsair RMi Series 850W 80+ GOLD Full Modular Power Supply

Would the components above (specially motherboard and GFX) give a straightforward build with Catalina? FYI my budget is around £2500 for the above with the exception of case and screen (looking at the LG 43UN700)

Another question, if I get a second RADEON RX 5700 would I be able to use both in Catalina? Is the 5700 any different from the 5700XT when it comes to compatibility?

Thanks in advance everyone :-D

Parts look fine though I’m not sure on the SSD and motherboard. I would use a non Cascade-Lake X refresh motherboard for less headache as those cause issues when booting into mac OS. I believe there are work arounds that involve patches for certain refresh boards but I’m not sure if that covers the x299-A II.

Take a look at this thread to see if anyone uses that board:

Good luck!

I’m not sure on the SSD and motherboard

I picked this SSD from a review as being the fastest PCIe 4, wondering why you think its not good? Compatibility with the motherboard?

I see on your sig you have the ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G, I assume this is similar to the one I picked except for more features (like the 10GBit ports)?

Thank you for your reply :)

I picked this SSD from a review as being the fastest PCIe 4, wondering why you think its not good? Compatibility with the motherboard?

I see on your sig you have the ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G, I assume this is similar to the one I picked except for more features (like the 10GBit ports)?

Thank you for your reply :)

I dont know about PCIe 4 compatibility with MacOS so that’s why I mentioned it. Someone else will have to chime in on that.

The Sage and Sage/10G boards are one of the preferred x299 boards around here since they offer a lot of features and are pretty stable. They aren’t flashy like the others but you get 7 x16 pci-e slots (and dual 10g ports if you get the 10g version).

NOTE: I’m still waiting on the 10980xe to be in stock but I had the same setup with a 7980xe. Decided to get back into the hackintosh fun

@Loloflatsix
I had successfully installed Catalina using @DSM2 explicit tutorial. It worked like a charm after updating properly every kext and driver and clover.

Good point if you made the Catalina installation.
But you did switch with the newer 5700XT.
I think you can adjust your EFI OcQuirks :
Download the EFI on this post #75
Adapt the EFI drivers and kexts : FakeSMC kexts are not good with OcQuirks, you also need IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
ACPI/patched add SSD-DTGP, SSDT-XOSI, SSDT-EC
See what the result is in -v.

Capture d’écran 2020-03-20 à 20.29.19.png

Good point if you made the Catalina installation.
But you did switch with the newer 5700XT.
I think you can adjust your EFI OcQuirks :
Download the EFI on this post #75
Adapt the EFI drivers and kexts : FakeSMC kexts are not good with OcQuirks, you also need IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
ACPI/patched add SSD-DTGP, SSDT-XOSI, SSDT-EC
See what the result is in -v.

View attachment 455838
@Loloflatsix

Some good results. IMG_3238.jpg

Thanks very much for that. I've updated as you told me, it worked but some other changes had to be made. The benchmarks are looking good for Cinebench r20.

1. The iMac 1,1 did not work, only with the HDMI port. I changed the SMBIOS to Mac Pro 7,1 and it loaded all 3 monitors.
2. ATI injector had to be de-selected.
3. WhateverGreen had to be removed (it doesn't start with that)

There is a bad side tho the Metal score is incredibly low. Regardless if I insert (agdpmod=pikera) or (dart=0 darkwake=0 slide=0 agdpmod=pikera) or not add this at all I get the same results.
I had this card 5700XT hooked via TB3 Razer Core V2 in my MBP 15- 2019 i9 8Core scoring 1x DP1 linked a Metal Score of: 71 675

Any ideas what else I can do to improve the Metal score?

My current EFI attached.

Much appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.46.53.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.46.53.png
    579 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.45.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 20.45.41.png
    205.2 KB · Views: 85
  • EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 21.05.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 21.05.08.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
@Loloflatsix

Some good results. View attachment 455852

Thanks very much for that. I've updated as you told me, it worked but some other changes had to be made. The benchmarks are looking good for Cinebench r20.

1. The iMac 1,1 did not work, only with the HDMI port. I changed the SMBIOS to Mac Pro 7,1 and it loaded all 3 monitors.
2. Nvidia injector had to be de-selected.
3. WhateverGreen had to be removed (it doesn't start with that)

There is a bad side tho the Metal score is incredibly low. I had this card 5700XT hooked via TB3 Razer Core V2 in my MBP 15- 2019 i9 8Core scoring 1x DP1 linked a Metal Score of: 71 675

Any ideas what else I can do to improve the Metal score?

My current EFI attached.

Much appreciated!
Nice result !
Yes SMBIOS MacPro 7,1 seems much better.

I'm very happy and your workspace with yours 3 27 inch Apple monitors is very impressive, I see you have the blackmagic mini 4k : it is the URSA I mean ?

So you have everything in your hands to do your job and enjoy !

As i sugested before in a post, did you adjust the CPU settings in bios as per as the guide :
Try to adjust your CPU in bios like this ;
i.) "ASUS MultiCore Enhancement" set to "Auto"
ii.) "CPU Core Ratio" set to "Sync All Cores"
iii.) "AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" set to "3"
iv.) "AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset" set to "2"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back