Contribute
Register

ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202 (Is it good?)

Thanks cnc137. I was setting OS X only. I am installing DUAL boot now, but I got stuck in "- Use Disk Utility to format the Partition that you want to install OS X on as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" It hangs on the "Preparing to partition disk"

Did you try adjusting the volume under "VoodooHDA" preferences for "PCM" and "iMix"? They are sliders under the VoodooHDA control panel. I also had to switch back and forth the output device under "Sound" under "System Preferences". I adjusted the volume and checked mute on and off and after messing with the things the sound started working. If you put the system to sleep you will have to adjust the VoodooHDA volume levels again to make the sound come back.

Upgrading to VoodooHDA 2.8.4 (http://voodoohda.sourceforge.net/) seemed to make the sound louder/better.

I believe 2.8.4 and the new pref panel also fixed the sound issue after sleep/wake.

=== Graphics ===

The video is working at 1366x768, but when I try going to http://www.apple.com/iphone/ or try watching one of the videos, such as, http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-music-every-day the picture of the iPhone flashes when loading and sliding in from the side or scrolling and the video controls flash and flicker even though the video plays smoothly.

Do I need to define the graphics card in the config.plist file for Clover?

I see "GraphicsInjector" is set to "No". Is this the same as "GraphicsEnabler=No"?

Does this mean that the graphics are not being accelerated and that is why it is flashing and flickering?

=== Sleep ===

Sleep via the Apple logo menu or by closing the lid of the system doesn't seem to be working correctly. I think I have gotten it to wake up one time, but all the other times it reboots the system and OS X tells me that I shut down the system incorrectly.

=== Two Finger Scrolling via Elan Touchpad Driver (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/) ===

I tried installing the kexts in ElanTouchpad_ML_V1.7_Final_V3_Only.zip, ElanV4_1_8_2_beta.zip, and ElanTouchpad_v2.7.5.zip and none of them seem to work very well. When I try to use two finger scrolling it starts zooming and trying to navigate with the drivers installed is a lot harder than using the standard mouse mode before installing them. Unfortunately, the mouse mode doesn't have two finger scrolling or any of the other gestures.

Has anyone gotten the Elan Touchpad Driver working with their system?
Did you have to edit any files or add anything to get it working?

=== ASUS Fn Hotkey Driver (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1968-fn-hotkey-driver-for-asus-notebooks/) ===

Has anyone gotten this working?

I tried editing the info.plist and switched "HasMediaButtons" to "No", but that didn't seem to help. I would like these to work for the brightness, volume, and especially to be able to turn off Bluetooth, since that option is greyed out under System Settings/Bluetooth right now with the DW1702 driver I am using.

=== Kext Install and Re-Install ===

When installing the kexts above and trying different versions I have deleted the current ones from "/System/Library/Extensions" and then used "KextBeast" to install the new ones that I copied to the "Desktop" first. After installing the new kexts I ran "Kext Utility" to fix permissions.

I found these applications under the "Downloads/Software" link at the top of tonymacx86.com if anyone is wondering.

Is this the correct method to install and try different kext versions?

=== Serial Number ===

I still need to figure out what to put for the "Serial Number" entry since mine still say "XXXXXXXXXXXX". Do I need to put something there? I read that Lizard can generate a serial number, but I don't know if that a good idea to use.

=== BIOS Downgrade to 206 and DSDT??? ===

Are all the problems related to me upgrading to BIOS v.210? Should I downgrade my BIOS or do I need to export a new DSDT to use with 210? I am not sure how to do that and I thought the newer UEFI and Ivy Bridge systems usually didn't need DSDT.

Would BIOS 210 really be causing the above problems and would 206 solve them?

=== Chimera Bootloader ===

I don't mind using Clover to boot, but is it even possible to use Chimera with the EFI boot device method the ASUS BIOS uses for picking the boot drive? Can you install Windows XP, DOS, etc. on the ASUS S200E and use the EFI BIOS boot option or is that not even possible anymore? I don't plan on installing these other OSes, but the boot option in the BIOS seems weird compared to the old school method of just choosing a drive to be the primary boot device and booting off of it.

=== Project Notes on Evernote===

I am trying to keep track of articles, links, fixes, and drivers I have found related to my ASUS VivoBook S200E Hackintosh project via Evernote and you can see my notes at https://www.evernote.com/shard/s5/s...278f714db5c1/31717714012946dcd7c54c0210b1d1ab if you are also look for answers. I haven't tried everything in all the links in my notes yet, but those are the things I have found so far that have helped or might help solve the problems.

The above is what I have found to not be working right now with my ASUS S200E Hackintosh. I haven't used it much besides debugging these things, so I may run into other things, but if I could get the above figured out I think I would be very close to having a perfect Hackintosh/MacBook Air 11" alternative.

If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions I would appreciate your feedback. I am so close, but at the moment I still wouldn't consider the system usable as a Hackintosh.

cnc137.

Seem like you have a lot of problems.
I actually tried 10.8.4 earlier with 206 bios, and I don't have any new issue compared to 10.8.2.

1. For graphic issue: I haven't seen the issue you see.
The current setting in clover should work, you don't have to change anything if you have HD4000.
2. For elan touch driver: use 2.7.5 - and adjust the scrolling speed, and make changes in the touch pad settings in Apple preferences.
Mine works fine.
3. installing new kexts: yes, just use KextBeast and Kext Utility.
4. Serial #: no, you don't have to enter a real serial number, you can just leave it as XX....XX.
5. BIOS: I don't want to update to 210 because there might be issue. So I can't really tell you if 206 works bettery than 210 or not for OS X.
If you want to downgrade to 206, there is a post in this thread with a link on how to downgrade your bios firmware.
6. Sleep: you might have done something wrong. Most people got it to work. Not sure, but I think someone didn't get it to work, and then reinstalled the whole thing and it works.

Thanks cnc137. I was setting OS X only. I am installing DUAL boot now, but I got stuck in "- Use Disk Utility to format the Partition that you want to install OS X on as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)" It hangs on the "Preparing to partition disk"

How did you format the drive?
Make sure the Partition Map Scheme is GUID.

This thread is long and hard to find things for new owners. There are updates and we have got some more stuff working.
I also tried out the touch driver today from touch base. It works well. Macbook Air doesn't have touch screen like we do :).
I think I should make a new thread with updated guide.
Also, I'll be giving my laptop to my little sister for school, so I won't have it anymore.

This thread is long and hard to find things for new owners. There are updates and we have got some more stuff working.
I also tried out the touch driver today from touch base. It works well. Macbook Air doesn't have touch screen like we do :).
I think I should make a new thread with updated guide.
Also, I'll be giving my laptop to my little sister for school, so I won't have it anymore.

harry253:

i think this is good avenue as well to make this thread as a general guide for two laptops - the X202E and the S400CA.
since the same method applies for both. the only difference so far i have read from contributors is that audio out [and in] the only prevalent issue.

also, i have the S400CA too. =D

I found out that a partition made from Windows 8.1 will causes hang (Preparing to partition disk) when format HFS+ on Mountain Lion. I guess Windows 8.1 doesn't us to dual boot with efi. But I got Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and Windows 8 EFI boot working. Thanks

Did anyone get touchscreen on Mountain Lion to work? If yes, please share the tutorial. Thank you very much.

hi harry253:
can you make this link live again? it is no longer available.

The link is under my signature.
I just haven't updated the guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back