Contribute
Register

ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASUS Vivobook S200 / X202 (Is it good?)

@ilp it may be getting stuck right after Bluetooth and have nothing to do with Bluetooth... In that case i believe the graphics kexts load next. Not sure why they would all of a sudden start acting up. I would try removing them, see if it boots, then reinstall and repair permissions.

@neurobomber use the link in Harry's sig which is this one: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=40aca7573bf56da2&id=40ACA7573BF56DA2!162&authkey=!AF9BuLspCU-Xc8g that link works fine

Thanks! I found the files this time.

I guess I should point out that I'm actually using a Vivobook S500 CA. Was hoping this thread would help me but not having much luck (If anyone knows of a better thread please let me know). Anyway, using the steps given I'm still stopped at the installer with a "Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused" (Tried looking through other threads but found nothing). Anyway, I'm stumped...Ideas?

2013-07-10 04.13.01.jpg

Alright guys!
I can confirm this guide will work on the Asus S400 as well the only issue so far is not having sound working and wifi obviously.
Except what I did was installed OSX on the 500HDD first then install win8 to the 24SSD drive which gives me a nice set up,
I've triple booted OSX Win8 and Ubuntu and I'm loving this laptop right now, all we need is touch screen drivers for OSX and we're set

htnguyen:

were you able to fix the sound problem? (i can live without the wifi - prorbably buy a usb wifi)
i am going to buy the S400ca very soon.

most pictures of asus x202e support MountainLion:lol:

IMG_1686.JPG

bAIrZGNcrdGrzlzFRfG4ybIDw5D1Ysis6NYnR6HyVeQ=w640-h480-no

yPPE9mvF21mC4SPdQKgJTqeUH0lXbcagNU7YX0qZw50=w640-h480-no

vgNDiLAJGq0ENgddBgta8hXv2QhLd5QExDaNVeS3kf0=w640-h480-no

O9Gmff4t7OALdIhNjrHNQ54zIU6yOnA3kPjZqD3vrf4=w640-h480-no

dXksnQCg5oibhmZfi91rAn7sh0avkrXD-h1Li66EN34=w640-h480-no

p2vb8uDzc5nMRLJcsF4qXaBXTAhdCyKXwPR-zfYehH4=w640-h480-no

lcrkCZ2Ndr6GUo2lhnKNI4kzV9AIFAkNXmqE7cnH7ZU=w640-h480-no

YNHn__RoCdefnUR8pAjJrFsgjeLJBNUyY7UwaidKQgc=w640-h480-no

kRq29z-8MWMNdmJSVmFUqzqkzZInTv0QWP0zvg-UXYI=w640-h480-no

x8F7cGgXzD4DwvbSmvMkifN8IyJ3hJ2Dwj8Mp_5QB8w=w640-h480-no

Attachments

• IMG_1686.JPG
    IMG_1686.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 351

Thanks! I found the files this time.

I guess I should point out that I'm actually using a Vivobook S500 CA. Was hoping this thread would help me but not having much luck (If anyone knows of a better thread please let me know). Anyway, using the steps given I'm still stopped at the installer with a "Pthread support ABORTS when sync kernel primitives misused" (Tried looking through other threads but found nothing). Anyway, I'm stumped...Ideas?

View attachment 61112

The first thing I would try is take the DSDT.aml out of /EFI/ACPI on you Clover USB. You probably also want to change the system definition in config.plist from MacbookAir5,1 to MacbookPro9,1 or something like that. You can use Champlist to help you find the proper info for that model. But the first thing I would try is take out the dsdt, that's probably what's causing the problem.

EDIT: Try this config.plist in /EFI on the Clover USB. I put in a MBP9,1 system definition. http://d-h.st/TAX

I bought an ASUS VivoBook S200E a couple of weeks ago and plan on installing OS X on it once my new SSD drive and Wi-Fi card arrive. I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to answer all the questions in this thread and providing the guides and information need to get OS X running on this system.

Has anyone tried a BIOS version newer than 206?

I noticed the following BIOS updates and fixes are available, but will they work with OS X?

BIOS 210 (X202E)
- Disable Scenario Power Saving Support

BIOS 209 (X202E)
- Support smart 2G onboard memory

BIOS 208 (X202E)
- Support hotkeys “Fn+D” and “Fn+F8” and switch display.

BIOS 207 (X202E)
- Solve when press Fn+F10, Fn+F11, Fn+F12 continuously, may send redundant key.
- Update PXE ROM.

Any thoughts on these newer BIOS updates and how they will work with OS X?

Kernel Task Ram Usage around 900 mb

Thanks to this guide and everybody's help on this board I've got ML 10.8.3 running almost flawlessly on my Q200E. My biggest concern is with only 4 GB of soldered on non replaceable RAM getting close to 1 GB of Kernel Task usage at fresh boot with no peripherals attached is a pretty big hit.

I've read up on the subject quite a bit and I guess the bottom line is there's really not much you can do about it. My suspicion is that the custom kexts we use are resource hungry. Has anybody had any luck using alternate kexts or have any ideas how I might get kernel task to stop being a ram hog, or is this just the price you pay on a hackintosh?

Thanks to this guide and everybody's help on this board I've got ML 10.8.3 running almost flawlessly on my Q200E. My biggest concern is with only 4 GB of soldered on non replaceable RAM getting close to 1 GB of Kernel Task usage at fresh boot with no peripherals attached is a pretty big hit.

I've read up on the subject quite a bit and I guess the bottom line is there's really not much you can do about it. My suspicion is that the custom kexts we use are resource hungry. Has anybody had any luck using alternate kexts or have any ideas how I might get kernel task to stop being a ram hog, or is this just the price you pay on a hackintosh?

I'd say that's pretty normal, hackintosh or not... Especially with integrated graphics.

i just bought theX202E's big brother S400CA last monday and i am excited to proceed with this soon. =D
i hope things work well enough to have tolerable results.

I received my Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD and installed OS X 10.8.4 over the weekend on my ASUS VivoBook S200E I bought refurbished from TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8227707&CatId=4936).

Here is a picture of the items for my set up:

4bff6084f18611e2ab6822000a1fbc38_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/cAOKPGO6Wh/

Here is a picture of the Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, DW1702 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Half Mini PCI-E Card, & Tyco Antenna installed in the system:

1d9c592cf1a911e2880922000ae8030e_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/cAqrvou6Ye/

Sorry the right side is cut off in the picture above. It is just where the white antenna cable attaches to the Mini PCI-E Card in the upper right of the picture.

I was able to boot directly from my UniBeast USB drive into the installer without having to use the Clover USB drive. I created the UniBeast USB drive using OS X 10.8.4 and I chose the "Laptop Support" option when creating it.

The installation worked fine and finished completely before rebooting. On reboot I couldn't get into OS X to finish the set up via the Clover USB drive or UniBeast USB drive. The system would freeze right after loading IOBluetoohHCIController. I originally thought it was the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card I am using, but I took it out and it did the same thing.

I did some searching and ran across http://www.osx86.net/10-8-mountain-...oller-completed-lenovo-g570-2.html#post119869 that talked about removing the Intel, ATI, and NVIDIA extensions. I did this and was able to boot into OS X via Clover or UniBeast. When I booted via UniBeast I only saw 1024x768 resolution, but with Clover I get 1366x768 resolution.

Before removing the kext for the graphics drivers I was able to boot into Safe mode, but that wouldn't let me mount the EFI partition, since the ability to mount a DOS partition is not available in Safe mode.

After finally being able to boot into the system normally instead of Safe mode I was able to install Clover on the EFI partition and am able to boot without a USB drive.

I have to admit that I decided to upgrade my BIOS to 210 before doing all of this instead of just going with 206. Maybe this is my biggest problem, but I wanted to see if the latest BIOS worked and figured it would have the least amount of bugs, but maybe it fixed things for Windows 8 while break OS X things???

Plugging in a USB drive after boot would lock up my system until I went into the BIOS and disabled "XHCI Pre-Boot Mode" that I had originally left on "Auto" during the installation.

Okay, now on to my current problems...

=== Graphics ===

The video is working at 1366x768, but when I try going to http://www.apple.com/iphone/ or try watching one of the videos, such as, http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-music-every-day the picture of the iPhone flashes when loading and sliding in from the side or scrolling and the video controls flash and flicker even though the video plays smoothly.

Do I need to define the graphics card in the config.plist file for Clover?

I see "GraphicsInjector" is set to "No". Is this the same as "GraphicsEnabler=No"?

Does this mean that the graphics are not being accelerated and that is why it is flashing and flickering?

=== Sleep ===

Sleep via the Apple logo menu or by closing the lid of the system doesn't seem to be working correctly. I think I have gotten it to wake up one time, but all the other times it reboots the system and OS X tells me that I shut down the system incorrectly.

=== Two Finger Scrolling via Elan Touchpad Driver (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/) ===

I tried installing the kexts in ElanTouchpad_ML_V1.7_Final_V3_Only.zip, ElanV4_1_8_2_beta.zip, and ElanTouchpad_v2.7.5.zip and none of them seem to work very well. When I try to use two finger scrolling it starts zooming and trying to navigate with the drivers installed is a lot harder than using the standard mouse mode before installing them. Unfortunately, the mouse mode doesn't have two finger scrolling or any of the other gestures.

Has anyone gotten the Elan Touchpad Driver working with their system?
Did you have to edit any files or add anything to get it working?

=== ASUS Fn Hotkey Driver (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1968-fn-hotkey-driver-for-asus-notebooks/) ===

Has anyone gotten this working?

I tried editing the info.plist and switched "HasMediaButtons" to "No", but that didn't seem to help. I would like these to work for the brightness, volume, and especially to be able to turn off Bluetooth, since that option is greyed out under System Settings/Bluetooth right now with the DW1702 driver I am using.

=== Kext Install and Re-Install ===

When installing the kexts above and trying different versions I have deleted the current ones from "/System/Library/Extensions" and then used "KextBeast" to install the new ones that I copied to the "Desktop" first. After installing the new kexts I ran "Kext Utility" to fix permissions.

I found these applications under the "Downloads/Software" link at the top of tonymacx86.com if anyone is wondering.

Is this the correct method to install and try different kext versions?

=== Serial Number ===

I still need to figure out what to put for the "Serial Number" entry since mine still say "XXXXXXXXXXXX". Do I need to put something there? I read that Lizard can generate a serial number, but I don't know if that a good idea to use.

=== BIOS Downgrade to 206 and DSDT??? ===

Are all the problems related to me upgrading to BIOS v.210? Should I downgrade my BIOS or do I need to export a new DSDT to use with 210? I am not sure how to do that and I thought the newer UEFI and Ivy Bridge systems usually didn't need DSDT.

Would BIOS 210 really be causing the above problems and would 206 solve them?

=== Chimera Bootloader ===

I don't mind using Clover to boot, but is it even possible to use Chimera with the EFI boot device method the ASUS BIOS uses for picking the boot drive? Can you install Windows XP, DOS, etc. on the ASUS S200E and use the EFI BIOS boot option or is that not even possible anymore? I don't plan on installing these other OSes, but the boot option in the BIOS seems weird compared to the old school method of just choosing a drive to be the primary boot device and booting off of it.

=== Project Notes on Evernote===

I am trying to keep track of articles, links, fixes, and drivers I have found related to my ASUS VivoBook S200E Hackintosh project via Evernote and you can see my notes at https://www.evernote.com/shard/s5/s...278f714db5c1/31717714012946dcd7c54c0210b1d1ab if you are also look for answers. I haven't tried everything in all the links in my notes yet, but those are the things I have found so far that have helped or might help solve the problems.

The above is what I have found to not be working right now with my ASUS S200E Hackintosh. I haven't used it much besides debugging these things, so I may run into other things, but if I could get the above figured out I think I would be very close to having a perfect Hackintosh/MacBook Air 11" alternative.

If any of you have any thoughts or suggestions I would appreciate your feedback. I am so close, but at the moment I still wouldn't consider the system usable as a Hackintosh.

cnc137.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back