Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage V Extreme - Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Xavi16

Guess what? After resetting the BIOS I put all the settings back to your guide. I saw that there were now two choices for the SSD drive. One was named the name and model number of the SSD and the other was named UEFI OS and the model number of the drive. I selected the one that did not say UEFI and tried to boot through Clover on the USB. It booted up and I am typing on it now. I am going to try to remove the USB drive and boot straight from the SSD to see if that works.

@Xavi16

I have some more information for you.

I went back and tried to boot from the SSD again and it failed. I went into the BIOS and saw that once again my only choice to boot was UEFI OS. I reset the BIOS again and then it gave me the voices of

SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB

and

UEFI OS (SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB)

I reset all the motherboard options per your instructions again and I selected SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB. Then I rebooted.

It failed again at the same place that it failed last night. There appears to be something wrong with the booster on the SSD.

I then reset the BIOS once more and inserted the USB this time. I looked at the BIOS and the boot options now were

SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB
UEFI OS (SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB)
LEXAR USB FLASH DRIVE 1100 (61054MB)
UEFI: LEXAR USB FLASH DRIVE 1100 (61054MB), PARTITION 1 (61054MB)

It would not allow selection of LEXAR USB FLASH DRIVE 1100 (61054MB)

I set the boot priorities to

1. UEFI: LEXAR USB FLASH DRIVE 1100 (61054MB), PARTITION 1 (61054MB)
2. SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB

I then rebooted and selected to boot from the PC while I was on the USB bootloader and it booted ok this time but with some screen blinking, etc. I am typing on the PC again now. I will keep trying different things and let you know if I see anything interesting.

After the system boots, the BIOS boot options with the USB out only gives me one choice UEFI OS which I must then rest the BIOS to change.

It seems now after resetting the BIOS, I can boot into my SSD every time without resetting the BIOS every time if I use the USB boot loader. I will try to make sure that I have done everything correctly and the EFI directory is as it should be. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks!

It seems now after resetting the BIOS, I can boot into my SSD every time without resetting the BIOS every time if I use the USB boot loader. I will try to make sure that I have done everything correctly and the EFI directory is as it should be. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks!

Hello

I've been a little busy today in my work, I will help as soon as you get home, yesterday comes very late and did not have time.

Please do this, boot from your USB and when in desktop, open Ioregistryexplorer and keep a full copy.

Attach to review it and determine that it may be affecting your installation.

ok, I found the program in the tools files you provided. I think I saved it correctly

would it be helpful to see anything in the EFI directory?

Attachments

• Vito’s Mac Pro.ioreg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102
Well, I keep playing with thing and try to fix it but since I have no idea what I am doing, I keep making things worse. Now when I try to boot off the SSD it goes into a completely different loader. It still reboots almost immediately. It happened when I used the Clover configurator to try and put in serial numbers. Fortunately, after a power cycle, I can still boot the SSD from the USB which is what I am using now.

I am torn between continuing to play with it and just letting it sit. I just hate to do nothing when it is not working. I am my own worst enemy!

Well, I keep playing with thing and try to fix it but since I have no idea what I am doing, I keep making things worse. Now when I try to boot off the SSD it goes into a completely different loader. It still reboots almost immediately. It happened when I used the Clover configurator to try and put in serial numbers. Fortunately, after a power cycle, I can still boot the SSD from the USB which is what I am using now.

I am torn between continuing to play with it and just letting it sit. I just hate to do nothing when it is not working. I am my own worst enemy!

Try these two files, remember to remove your generic kext.
DSDT
HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6.kext

good luck!

oh wow @Xavi16, you made me a HackrNVMeFamily file! I really wanted to try that.

Where does the DSDT file go? I don't understand much about that file. I guess it provides configuration information?

I will try it and let you know. Thanks for doing this.

@XAV16, nothing seems to work to allow me to boot off of the SSD.

I tried to re-install everything using the new HackrNVMeFamily.kext and it would not work. I reinstalled again using the Generic NVMe kext and I just duplicated what I saw before. I can only boot into the SSD if I have the primary boot drive as the USB. My system does not like the EFI post install directory.

I copied the EFI from the USB onto my SSD and I am now able to boot directly from the SSD with the USB drive not installed. However nothing is functioning except most of my USB drives and my wireless. Nothing more than was functioning before when booting from the USB.

However, the video still flickers and now the system crashes.

I then decided to copy the kext files from the EFI Post install onto the SSD.

Now I have ethernet and bluetooth! The system seems more stable with fewer crashes now. I tried the new HackrNVMeFamiy driver before and I seemed to have problems with it. And for some reason my system did not like what was in the EFI Post Install directory. I am going to use SuperDuper to create a copy of my system as it is now so I at least have a copy of a system that boots.

I may try the HackrNVMeFamily kext one more time after I backup my system to see if the NVMExpress section of the "About My Mac" will show that I have NVMe enabled. My drive works, but maybe something is still not 100% with it. I still have USB ports that are attached to my case that do not work and I would like to see if I can activate the Thunderbolt ports. And I really need to make sure that my video is right. I have a GT 730 for now and I thought that the system would recognize it correctly. Also sometimes my mouse hardly moves even when I am moving it a lot. So I still have lots to try and understand, but at least it is booting form the hard drive.

I just downloaded the drivers from the Nvidia website for my board and rebooted, but same thing. I know on a mackintosh, it may not always just be a matter of downloading and installing drivers. There may be flags to set, etc and I know there are 3 plists and not really sure what to do in those so I don't mess with them. Guess I'll just have to live with the video.

I'm going to see if I can get the system to give me batter data on the PCI bus. Right now all I get is
There was an error while gathering PCI device information.
Don't think that is too good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back