Contribute
Register

ASUS G551JW on Catalina - Installed but won’t boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should I do?
Just a thought ...

Have you installed the bootloader in Legacy mode or UEFI?

In post #16 it looks like the EFI is in the root of the main drive, not the EFI partition. Legacy.

Or have I missed a step?

Just a thought ...

Have you installed the bootloader in Legacy mode or UEFI?

In post #16 it looks like the EFI is in the root of the main drive, not the EFI partition. Legacy.

Or have I missed a step?
When I used Unibeast I believe I selected UEFI. The one that EFI is in is the Untitled - Data one. Should it be in the regular one instead?

When I used Unibeast I believe I selected UEFI. The one that EFI is in is the Untitled - Data one. Should it be in the regular one instead?
Catalina's synthesized drives and containers can be confusing but with a GUID/GPT partitioned drive the EFI folder is in the hidden EFI partition. Clover, if used, will put an "EFI-Backup" folder in the root of the main drive. What we see is not that.

If you used UniBeast and UEFI mode the active EFI is the one in the EFI partition. In post #17 @Feartech tells you how to access it.

So the EFI folder on your main drive is a bit of a mystery.

Catalina's synthesized drives and containers can be confusing but with a GUID/GPT partitioned drive the EFI folder is in the hidden EFI partition. Clover, if used, will put an "EFI-Backup" folder in the root of the main drive. What we see is not that.

If you used UniBeast and UEFI mode the active EFI is the one in the EFI partition. In post #17 @Feartech tells you how to access it.

So the EFI folder on your main drive is a bit of a mystery.
I was able to get it started finally, using the default EFI folder from Unibeast. I am noticing it is running a bit sluggish however. Are there any kexts for my model of laptop?

I was able to get it started finally, using the default EFI folder from Unibeast. I am noticing it is running a bit sluggish however. Are there any kexts for my model of laptop?
the default unibeast is for desktops and not laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back