Contribute
Register

Apple Introduces New MacBook Air and Mac Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think average users can expect far more than just 10 years from an SSD. Beyond that, it might be time to upgrade computers anyway.
My 2011 Crucial SSDs are still going strong today. I don't write a lot of data to them on a regular basis so that will help with their longevity. I also have Trim enabled. So in my small sample size I've found SSDs to last much longer than laptop 2.5" HDDs, such as those the older Minis used to have. I do have one 2.5" mechanical drive from a 2006 MBP that still works fine to this day. That 17" MBP was recycled years ago. I installed it in a Windows 8.1 laptop that had a failed mechanical drive. That lasted all of 3 years. Was Toshiba brand. Those fail at a very high rate in laptops.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound like a shill, but I just picked up an upgrade to mini Hystou pc. for 600 dollars. i7-8550u 16gb of ram 256gb SSD all upgradeable. The new Mac mini has a eGPU support. But if I was going for that I'll take my Node 202 over it. It -does- fit in my backpack. A little snug though ;)

@pastrychef and @trs96 :)

I take your points. Yeah, I have a WD MyBook desktop drive from 2006 still running fine. And my first 128GB SSD is still in the 90% range of wear. Things are a lot more reliable these days.

I still can't get past the fact that the Mac Mini SSD is soldered on. You could also suggest no one is going to need to upgrade their RAM either. It's possible people might need more space to run programs concurrently, and future macOS's will need more memory to run efficiently, true, but people will also need more storage space for their programs and data. External storage is fine but it isn't a part of the Mac Mini mantra any more. :D

Maybe if Mac Minis were cheaper their throw-away-ability could be justified.

Hey, but all this is why I'm here enjoying tinkering with my builds and talking with you guys and gals! :thumbup:

Apple should just build a fully upgradeable Desktop.
It do not need to be small, but silent and cool
I don’t care how it is called and or it is branded Pro or not.
I just want an I7
I want at least one PCIe Slot slot so that I can keep using my RME Multiface II Audio Interface
I want to be able to use a Graphics Card of choice

Why does a Apple Desktop needs to be called macPRO ?
Why not create a Desktop which could be used by anyone starting from casual users up to Pro‘s?
Anyone can upgrade by themself or buy the desired config at Apple.
Why is that so hard to create ?
Apple always claims that they care about the User.
To me it look more that they care more about money

and future macOS's will need more memory to run efficiently, true, but people will also need more storage space for their programs and data. External storage is fine but it isn't a part of the Mac Mini mantra any more.
Apple has it's required 30 % or more profit margin tacked on to nearly all the products it sells. That's why the new base model Mini starts at $799. If they can get you to BTO for the 256 or 512 GB SSD that's an even bigger win for them.

By watching a video from a Mac Mini server farm, I learned that they buy 2013 Mac Pros and don't even use the included NVME storage for anything other than the OS. You can see the video at the link below. Turn on CC to see the text of what's said. MacStadium is one of Apple's biggest Mac Mini purchasers. They never upgrade the internal storage on those they buy.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/who-is-still-buying-the-2014-mac-mini-and-2013-mac-pro.264098/

To me it look more that they care more about money
With over 220 billion in cash in their bank account, yes they do make some profits. They also care about making premium products that people will shell out top dollar for. That's the way capitalism works, we're stuck with it for now. If we don't buy their hardware at their high prices, there's always someone else that will. Hackintoshing is not for everyone. Most people just want to plug their Mac in and start using it. Those are the folks they make Macs for, not tinkerers like members of this community.

Last edited:
Apple should just build a fully upgradeable Desktop.
It do not need to be small, but silent and cool
I think that Apple sees large, user upgradeable mATX or ATX PCs as past history that they will never go back to. They used to make beige boxes back in the 1990s like all the PC makers. They were on the verge of bankruptcy back then. Jobs got the CEO job and knew that for the co. to survive they had to do something completely different than what they were doing then. That's why he and Jony Ive came up with the first Bondi Blue iMac in 1998. That Mac is what helped them turn their financial woes around and actually turn a profit for the first time in many years. The iPod came next and then the first Mac Mini in 2005 which emphasized making a miniature product that the end user couldn't open up and upgrade. I know from direct experience of trying to upgrade the ram in Mine. Not an enjoyable experience by any means. I did go from 512 MB to a whopping 1GB back in about 2007. It was very expensive back then and probably not even worth it.

Last edited:
Great Design does not mean to make anything small, less cool (literally)

Yeah I bought some of their 'premium' products, which either were faulty or started burning :)
I still have an Apple II !

Last edited:
The biggest complaints about the previous Mac Mini were addressed. Apple gave users what they wanted.:
  • The new Mac Mini has user expandable RAM which the previous Mac Mini didn't. Unquestionably a move in the right direction.
  • If/when needed, storage can be expanded via Thunderbolt.
  • If/when needed, dedicated GPU can be added via Thunderbolt.

When compared to what HP charges for their most similar computer, the difference in price is approx $100-200. HP's computer doesn't include Thunderbolt, there's no 10GBase-T option, and its chassis is not all aluminum. I see the Mac Mini as being very fairly priced and competitive vs the competition.

Can you build something similar for less money? Of course!!! But what do you get the following?
  • 100% working Thunderbolt with hot plugging function
  • Warranty where you can bring a defective unit to an Apple Store
  • OOB macOS compatibility
  • Diminutive form factor (I know about the tiny ITX boxes, but they require huge external power bricks where as the Mac Mini just needs a cord)
  • High quality, all aluminum chassis

People are complain about the thermals before even actually testing it. Let's wait until these things are in the wild. Thermals can always be improved but unless there's throttling/overheating, we shouldn't complain.

It's not fair to criticize a company for trying to be profitable. They are a business and a publicly traded one at that. They have a fiduciary responsibility to share holders to try and make money. When you shop for any other product do you avoid buying it because of the profit margins the company earns from it?? When shopping for cereal, do you look at how much Rice Crispies cost vs Frosted Flakes or do you go and consider what the profit margins are for each brand? Luxottica manufactures sunglasses for $25 and are sold at approx $500. (source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ajagra...n-in-the-importance-of-branding/#4a50edc353a2)

I remember very clearly when Apple was on the brink of extinction and feared that the end of Macintosh was nigh. I much prefer a profitable Apple so that we get continued development of macOS. I don't understand all this criticism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back