Contribute
Register

AMD RX 580 - Disappointing performance (10.12.6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus STRIX Z270i Gaming ITX
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi everyone.

I've been running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 for a while now without any troubles. I had a Gigabyte GTX Mini 1070 8GB installed, and the system was great, the only issue I had was the very annoying loud coil whine coming from the GTX, so I decided to sell it as I couldnt stand the noise anymore, and bought a Saphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB instead; seeing that I have a FreeSync monitor, it did make more sense. The new card arrived today, and seeing that 10.12.6 comes with native support for RX 580, I literally just did a plug and play and everything worked.

But my disappointment came when I started doing the benchmarks. The results I'm getting is nowhere close to the benchmark results I saw during my investigation into the card, viewing multiple reviews and youtube videos. In fact, the performance is so bad that I can't even run Heroes of the Storm in 4K anymore. I use to be able to do this with the 1070 on extreme settings and still averaged over 100fps.

Anyway, here are some of my benchmark results. I've also attached my clover config.plist to verify that everything is correctly configured.

NOTE: My system is overclocked as follow:

CPU: i7-7700K 4.2Ghz stock (1.20V) overclocked to 4.7Ghz (1.25V)
RAM: Corsair 2166Mhz DDR4 (1.20V) overclocked to 2666Mhz (1.24V)

I did the usual stress testing and stability tests and everything passed so I doubt my overclock is causing performance degradation of the RX 580.

For all I now this is expected results and which case I'm definitely returning this card! I paid more for the RX 580 than I did for the 1070 Mini! I'd rather live with the coil whine than put up with with a bad performance card!

Would greatly appreciate some feedback on this! :wave:

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 00.42.13.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-31 at 00.43.08.png

GTX 1070 8GB

nVidia heaven 1920.png
nVidia heaven 2560.pngnVidia valley 2560.pngnVidia Cine.png

Saphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB

AMD heaven 1920.png AMD Heaven 2560.png AMD cine.png

Geekbench 4 OpenCL (Windows 10 64bit and macos 10.12.6) for both GTX 1070 and RX 580

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 00.33.14.png

What is interesting here is that Geekbench scored really well on the RX 580 running under Windows 10. But, on macOS 10.12.6, it only gets 131057. Sometimes I got 128000. But the results form the other benchmarks are considerable bad! Literally almost half the performance of the GTX 1070. Based on the reviews and benchmarks on the internet, it should be nowhere this low!

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove all kext patches, install Lilu.kext+WhateverGreen.kext
Which kext patches are you referring too? The only patches I have in my clover config is that of my Nvme drive. I don't have any patches that directly relate to my GPU. As for LiLu & WhateverGreen, i already have the latest version of both kext in EFI/clover/kext/other

The problem is probably with AMD. They probably couldn't be bothered less to develop proper drivers. I also went and bought a 8GB Radeon 580 to replace my aging sauna-stove Nvidia GTX 780 3GB. Ran them both through a couple of benchmarks and got (unfortunately) the same kind of results as above. In Geekbench synthetic test, the Radeon has double the speed of the GTX. However, Cinebench shows only a +4% speed boost, and Unigine Heaven / Valley 3D tests show that the Radeon is actually -20% slower.

Tested them both also in real world gaming situation with Dying Light @Max settings, 1080p resolution, and both run the game exactly the same, at 60-70fps..

Ouch!

Since Sierra 10.12.6 has native Polaris drivers, I thought RX 580 would be our best bet. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, thank you both for the benchmarks.

Last edited:
Well, I eventually sold both the RX 580 and the GTX 780 and bought a GTX 1070. Things went from bad to ****. Now I can't play Dying Light anymore, the game keeps crashing after just a few minutes. Still running Sierra 10.12.6 and latest Nvidia Web Drivers, ID iMac14,2. Benchmarks run great though, I get about 70-100% increase in scores over the GTX 780.

I feel bad for you man :(

I'm kind of stuck trying to decide between AMD vs NVIDIA for my first hackintosh. I keep seeing too many reports of issues on both.

Well first thing is to update to High Sierra, that would be the biggest issue I see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back