Contribute
Register

AMD R9 Fury no HW acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you purchase the card from new or was it secondhand?
Who manufactured the card?
Can you confirm which card you have from the list on the link below.

Do you have Windows installed on your system, possibly on another drive?

If yes, can you post a screenshot of the details from GPU-Z, so we can see if the Bios on the card is original, compared to the details found on TechPowerUp.

I’ll have a look at you EFI folder when I get on one of my desktop systems.

Did you purchase the card from new or was it secondhand?
Who manufactured the card?
Can you confirm which card you have from the list on the link below.

Do you have Windows installed on your system, possibly on another drive?

If yes, can you post a screenshot of the details from GPU-Z, so we can see if the Bios on the card is original, compared to the details found on TechPowerUp.
The manufacturer of my card is Sapphire, this model:

I bought this GPU when it came out, brand new, it's not a flashed card for mining or something like that.

I personally updated the bios with a version that Sapphire itself sent me, so that it would be GOP compatible (so that it could run with CSM disabled).

Here is the screen of GPU-Z from Windows 11 (on a different drive).

screen gpu z.png

The bios on your GPU is not the latest. There are three newer bios versions (08, 11 & 16) available for the R9 Fury series of cards.

Below is a link to the TechPowerUp site with search results for the Sapphire R9 Fury series. This page shows the different Bios versions available for your card.

There is a latest version for the Sapphire R9 Fury series is from 20/07/2016 Bios version 015.049.000.016.000000, flashing this bios may fix this issue.

Well, I have the Tri-X model, not the Nitro that you linked (different clock speed, mine is 1000Mhz, Nitro is 1050Mhz).

For the Tri-X the bios that I currently have should be the latest (it was sent to me from Sapphire support a few months ago and tech power up doesn't seem to have a more up to date bios).

Anyway, since my GPU has a dual bios mode, I flashed the nitro bios (forcing the flash) on my Fury in the second switch.

While Windows 11 gives me a black screen (don't know why), I can boot into MacOS without any problem.

Sadly, that didn't fixed the issue, so now I just switched the switch to the "official" position.

Regarding your EFI, all the OC sub folders look fine for your system, nothing GPU related other than WhateverGreen.kext (WEG), which is good.

You have an orphan DeviceProperties entry for your R9 Fury card in your config.plist. It has no 'child' entries so does nothing. I am wondering if this orphaned entry is preventing WEG from activating your R9 Fury GPU. Because that is all you should need to have this GPU working in macOS.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 16.11.24.png Orphaned entry

You have the Kernel > Quirks > ProvideCurrentCpuInfo entry enabled in your config. I thought this was only required for AMD CPU's. Not that this should effect the dGPU but disabling this entry might help.

Both of these changes as well as removal of a few unnecessary entries have been applied to the attached config.plist. Try it on a spare USB pen drive within your current EFI, and see if it makes any difference.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 18
Sadly, no, it didn't make any difference.
It's the first time that I see something like this, a supported GPU that somehow it's not working as it should be.

You have a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot on your motherboard. I assume the R9 Fury is mounted in this top PCIe x16 slot.

As your R9 Fury is not PCIe 4.0 standard have you checked the bios to ensure the slot the dGPU is mounted in is working at 3.0 Standard?

yup, already did it, I set the PCIe slot to 3.0 from bios

Stupid question, but I don't suppose you have any third-party kexts installed in the /Library/Extensions folder, maybe left over from a previous version of macOS? Can you check please and post a screenshot showing the /L/E folder contents.

Can you confirm if the R9 Fury has ever worked correctly in macOS, any version?

Sorry, I am running out of ideas as to what could be causing the dGPU to not work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back