Contribute
Register

AMD R9 Fury no HW acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a clean install of MacOS, so no previous version.

I used to have the same GPU with a previous Haswell build, but I didn't ever check if HW acceleration was working.

I never removed or added kext in S/L/E

I have 588 elements under S/L/E, it's a bit hard to get a screenshot of them, those are the ones relative to AMD (or at least that have AMD in their name).

Schermata 2023-02-26 alle 19.57.22.png

Ok, if it is a clean install then you probably don't have any third party kexts in the system folder. I just wanted to double check that you didn't have any third-party graphics related kexts added to the Kernel Cache.

I asked for a screenshot of /Library/Extensions (/L/E) folder, not the /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folder.

Sorry, you're right

Schermata 2023-02-26 alle 20.57.43.png

No need to apologise, easy mistake to make. That looks as expected, clean and no third party kexts.

I have come to the conclusion that the revised bios you are using is the most likely reason for this issue, given everything else seems to check out as being OK.

According to the TechPowerUp site none of the other R9 Fury Tri-X cards have a similar bios. They all use the 015.049.000.002.000000 (Stock bios) or the slightly newer 015.049.000.003.000000 bios release.

The link below shows the three (3) different bios releases available for your R9 Fury Tri-X card from TechPowerUp.

Trying the Stock bios (bottom entry in the list) might show if it is the bios that is causing the HW acceleration issue.

Other than this (suspect) offering I am pretty much out of ideas.

I don't remember what vbios I had before, I think the 003, and that was not supporting booting without CSM enabled.
Since I can have two bios on the same card I'll try to play a little with the second one (in case things go wrong), maybe I'll find something that works with MacOS. Thank you for all your help, much appreciated.

I don't remember what vbios I had before, I think the 003, and that was not supporting booting without CSM enabled.
Since I can have two bios on the same card I'll try to play a little with the second one (in case things go wrong), maybe I'll find something that works with MacOS. Thank you for all your help, much appreciated.
Di you solve this problem? I’am currently planning to work on this r9 fury cards (sapphire nitro version not triX)

And btw did you confirm your cards work great on windows?

Di you solve this problem? I’am currently planning to work on this r9 fury cards (sapphire nitro version not triX)

And btw did you confirm your cards work great on windows?
No, I did not.

But it's not a real issue, I can easily edit 4k videos with final cut even if I'm not getting HW acceleration. I can play heavy 4k video without any lag (maybe thanks to my CPU i5-12400).

Maybe it's an issue of my particular card or configuration, maybe you won't have any problem.

The card works great on windows (both 10 and 11), sadly you won't get any driver updates.

If it's the right GPU for you it mainly depends on what you need to do with it. The latest games are starting to stumble at 1080p, but it can still give you some minor satisfaction with some titles.

No, I did not.

But it's not a real issue, I can easily edit 4k videos with final cut even if I'm not getting HW acceleration. I can play heavy 4k video without any lag (maybe thanks to my CPU i5-12400).

Maybe it's an issue of my particular card or configuration, maybe you won't have any problem.

The card works great on windows (both 10 and 11), sadly you won't get any driver updates.

If it's the right GPU for you it mainly depends on what you need to do with it. The latest games are starting to stumble at 1080p, but it can still give you some minor satisfaction with some titles.
Well, gonna try it ASAP
Will report if have succes on this cards..

In theory the driver is there in mac os monterey (AMD9000Controller.kext) for this particular cards..
But i can’t say more since other aspect may can make this card did’nt work properly

Why not trying on your haswell build?
Just to make sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back