Intel Core i5 3570k
Corsair H100i Watercooler
4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM
ASUS P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7790 OC Dual-X 1GB GDDR5
XFX ProSeries 450w PSU
NZXT Phantom 410

I am currently using Windows 7, but I want to dual boot Windows with OS X. I am using UniBeast Mavericks and I used the Intel HD 4000 for the installation. I get full accelration and 1080p out of the box. When I plug my 7790 back in, chimera from EasyBeast won't boot, so I have to use the UniBeast drive to boot. Also, I am stuck at 800x600 and have very choppy graphics. "About my Mac" shows Graphics: Unknown 3mb.

All help is appreciated.

As far as I know, AMD HD 7000 series cards are meant to work out of the box, but not the 7790, it is a different GPU code name (Bonaire).:banghead:

I have an XFX R7950 that would not work until I did this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Be patient and give it a try. I found that the screen shots of the Terminal on the above page were exceptionally helpful.

If you get a boot0 error after doing this, follow the Official Boot0 Guide (a quick search for boot0 will find it) and use disk0s1 instead of disk0s2 in the command line given there.

You can see what I have been doing here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...68mx-ud2h-b3-install-problems.html#post767313

Thanks for the help, I have now got it to boot using the boot loader on the HDD. I have also set the resolution to 1920x1080 in the com.apple.boot.plist so I have got the native resolution for my monitor.

In OS X I still have a "unknown" GPU and graphics are laggy.:banghead:

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Any idea where to go next? I just bought a r7 260x (same as HD 7790) with the false understanding that it would OOB with OS X Mavericks.

I see this EFI partition link that I can follow but It doesn't look like you've had good results yet.

Can anyone please help?

Any idea of the fix yet? Have the r7 260x that says "Graphics Unknown 3MB". Supposed to be hd7790 pretty much but a little tweaked from what some are saying.

please let me know

As far as I know, AMD HD 7000 series cards are meant to work out of the box, but not the 7790.
The 7790 is not supported and unlikely to ever be supported. The only AMD graphics cards that work out of the box have "Mac Edition" on the box, i.e., SapphireRadeon HD 7950 Mac Edition Graphics Card. With some luck, occasionally, a particular manufacturer/model will work in OS X with one of the available framebuffers. The Sapphire HD7750 Low Profile works "OOB" in Mavericks, however, Dashimaki framebuffer surgery is required. Specific AMD R9, R7 and HD 7xxx graphics cards should only be considered if there is documented success in Mavericks.

I have done the EFI bootloader thing, this allows me to boot off the HDD while the 7790 is installed, but OS X recognizes it as "Unknown 7mb".:banghead:

It used to be "Unknown 3mb", but I don't think it makes a difference.

-cal

and how will we know when it doesn become supported? There was something I read that there was some recent success with the new dev update in mavericks 10.9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back