Contribute
Register

AMD HD 7790 not working in OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting part of this story, that in AMD kext inside Extension folder there is Bonaire accelerator (with 7790 device id already listed) is actually exist there. But when I tried to put 7790 dev id (665c) to AMD7000Controller.kext, all I got is freezing after boot.. With no error message. :banghead:

So I decided to remove the modified AMD7000Controller.kext and then boot normally without any graphic kext loaded.

Another not-lucky part of my system that, I can't utilize the onboard HD 4600 on my i5-4670K. (If I choose to boot with IGPU, the screen would freezing after boot).

So currently I stucked with my Win8, and leave the 7790 overclocked at 1300 core/1700 mem.

The 7790 is not supported and unlikely to ever be supported. The only AMD graphics cards that work out of the box have "Mac Edition" on the box, i.e., SapphireRadeon HD 7950 Mac Edition Graphics Card. With some luck, occasionally, a particular manufacturer/model will work in OS X with one of the available framebuffers. The Sapphire HD7750 Low Profile works "OOB" in Mavericks, however, Dashimaki framebuffer surgery is required. Specific AMD R9, R7 and HD 7xxx graphics cards should only be considered if there is documented success in Mavericks.

hi,Toleda, could you elaborate on the Dashimaki framebuffer surgery? I have the same card as you do, with Mavericks, I could use 3 displays, however I must start by pluging in only 2 displays, then put the computer into sleep, plug in the third display, then wake it up. If i directly starts with 3 monitors all connected, then the DVI one will not work and the computer freezes at the login window. Have you tested 3 display settings in Mavericks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back