Contribute
Register

4K With Skylake - Possible Without Graphics Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have basically the same plans as sneezy with the same needs and the same questions.
I already built my computer according to What do you think of my build? and everything works fine but for the display that's limited 1920 x 1080 whether with a DVI or an HDMI cable connected to the mobo. Yet the specs
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151: 4096 x 2160.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-6600: Max Resolution (HDMI 1.4): 4096x2304@24Hz
The highest option available in the OS X Preferences is 1920 x 1080 with only two refresh rates: 60 and 50 Hz.
Is there a workaround or shall I have to add a GPU anyway?
TIA
Nick

My build:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3 ATX Socket 1151
CPU: Intel Skylake Core i5-6600 / 3.3 GHz (Turbo Boost 3.9 GHz) 4 cores Cache Socket, Socket 1151 (BX80662I56600)
GPU: none
Monitor: AOC Q2770, 2560 x 1440 px
OS X: El Capitan

Last edited:
HD530.png

Thanks Pilgrim
I had already looked at that chart and, unless I miss something, I read that with HDMI 2 it should work, right?
Nick

Thanks Pilgrim
I had already looked at that chart and, unless I miss something, I read that with HDMI 2 it should work, right?
Nick

Where does it say anything about HDMI 2.0 on that chart?

It very clearly says HDMI 1.4 will do 4K @ 24Hz, DisplayPort 4K @ 60Hz.

Where does it say anything about HDMI 2.0 on that chart?
It very clearly says HDMI 1.4 will do 4K @ 24Hz, DisplayPort 4K @ 60Hz.
OK, my mistake. Yet, how come the only option I have is 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (or 50Hz)?
Like the OP, sneezy, I would like to do without a GPU but it seems impossible.
Nick

The general consensus seems to be that it only works over DP.
And there is no DP port on my mobo. :thumbdown
However I would be happy if I could go for 24Hz as a starter if only I had the option in OS X Preferences.
Isn't there any tweaking to do with Clover that would help?
Nick

In your BIOS, Peripherals, is IGFX set as your initial graphics?
In your BIOS, Chipset, is Internal Graphics enabled?

What does the resolution look like if you boot from a Linux Live-CD or Linux Live-USB? Can you change the resolution to 4K?
What does the resolution look like under Windows and after you have installed the Intel video driver(s)?
If you can, what happens if your re-run Clover and save the plist to the HDD, after enabling video?
Is there an Intel video driver that you can enable in Clover or MultiBeast?, say with a different MAC ID?

Really, I don't get it :wave: ...

View attachment 201997

... i clearly states "Max DP Resolution ≈ 4096x2304@60Hz" ... what else do you wanna know?

It does not clearly state that when I went to the link given to me.
Can you provide a link? All I got was what I quoted on
http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88392/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-Processors#@Desktop

Edit: OK, thanks, I see it now. I had to go one more page. For example.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88196/Intel-Core-i7-6700-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-06 at 6.23.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-06 at 6.23.42 PM.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
The stock Intel cooler is quite good. As the proc gets hot you'll probably hear the fans spinning higher and higher. Once it starts to happen when not stressing out the proc then chances are that there is too much dust on the heat sink and it will need to be blown out. It only really matters if noise is a concern. And if you have in-adequate case cooling.

Thanks for the explanation. Will the spinning fan come from the 4k display load on the processor alone? If so, I might want to go for the water cooled if that will makes things quieter.
I had a Mac G5 that sometimes sounded like a rocket, but only when I was loading up the processor with programs running, not video.
If this processor will sound like a rocket from the time I turn it on, due to the 4k, then that is a no-go.

I appreciate the warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back