Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

@CaseySJ Please check.
You’ve done the hard part so now you can do the easy part as well!
  • Refer to one of my USB SSDTs, rename it for your motherboard, and customize it based on the port diagrams above
  • Each USB port has a one-byte address from 0x00 to 0xFF
  • For HSxx ports we can typically use xx as the address; so HS01 uses address 0x01 and HS02 uses address 0x02
  • For SSxx ports we must apply USBInjectAll boot argument to disable all HS ports and reboot; now IORegistryExplorer will show all SS ports and their addresses: SS01@abcdefgh where abcdefgh will have one non-zero byte; that byte is the address
  • USB types are as follows:
    • 0x00 for black USB external connectors (these only support HS ports for USB 2)
    • 0x03 for blue, red, and yellow external connectors (any HS or SS port on this connector must be type 0x03)
    • 0xFF for internal USB headers
    • 0xFF for internal Bluetooth and ITE device (RGB controller)
    • 0x09 for USB Type C connectors (any HS or SS port on Type C connector must be 0x09)

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-Z690-UD-AX.aml
    707 bytes · Views: 40
Has anyone had any problems with USB drives/hubs? My ROG strix z690-i (13600kf) gets a kernel panic with a drive attached after the Ventura 13.2 update.

Have tried -
- New USB mapping and rebuilt SSDTs. Bare bones. KP happens with just a usb3 hub on monitor attached to thunderbolt controller without anything on mapped/unmapped ports.
- SIP disabled/enabled + security default/disabled. Consits on either.
- Reinstalled Mac OS - noticed, that everything seems to work as should on recovery os (so might be software related)
- Even tried the CaseySJ prebuilt EFI upgraded to latest OC/KEXTs.

Still to try-
- BIOS rollback to 2103
- Monterey on a empty drive.

Any ideas?

Has anyone had any problems with USB drives/hubs? My ROG strix z690-i (13600kf) gets a kernel panic with a drive attached after the Ventura 13.2 update.

Have tried -
- New USB mapping and rebuilt SSDTs. Bare bones. KP happens with just a usb3 hub on monitor attached to thunderbolt controller without anything on mapped/unmapped ports.
- SIP disabled/enabled + security default/disabled. Consits on either.
- Reinstalled Mac OS - noticed, that everything seems to work as should on recovery os (so might be software related)
- Even tried the CaseySJ prebuilt EFI upgraded to latest OC/KEXTs.

Still to try-
- BIOS rollback to 2103
- Monterey on a empty drive.

Any ideas?
Hello @hneryi

Some questions:
  • The USB hub you’re referring to is a built-in hub within a Thunderbolt monitor?
  • Are you using an LG UltraFine?
  • Do you have a separate standalone USB hub that you can connect directly to one of the USB ports on the motherboard? If so, does the problem occur when devices are attached to that hub?
  • What type of drive are you connecting to the USB hub?
  • Does the drive work properly (and macOS remains stable) if it’s connected directly to an on-board USB port?

Hello @hneryi

Some questions:
  • The USB hub you’re referring to is a built-in hub within a Thunderbolt monitor?
  • Are you using an LG UltraFine?
  • Do you have a separate standalone USB hub that you can connect directly to one of the USB ports on the motherboard? If so, does the problem occur when devices are attached to that hub?
  • What type of drive are you connecting to the USB hub?
  • Does the drive work properly (and macOS remains stable) if it’s connected directly to an on-board USB port?
- A Dell 275K monitor with a USB hub. Hub doesn't work -either- on TB dock or straight to MB mapped port (unmapped doesn't panic, so would indicate that not a hardware/power issue w mb)
-Now using USB 2 hub straight to MB and that works.
-No external drive what-so-ever - not on MB, not on TB dock. Any kind of thumb/SSD causes kp straight. Internal HFS/AFS/NTFS drives mount correctly.

Last edited:
It fixed Sleep/Wake & Shut Down/Restart. I got a question. Why the USBMap kext didn't work but .aml worked?
Because I've not seen the USB map kext, I can only guess:
  • USBToolBox generates a USB kext that maps USB controllers to a specific Bus:Device:Cmd triplet that appears in IOReg as pcidebug. If we enable or disable certain devices in BIOS such as on-board WiFi or on-board Thunderbolt, some motherboards reassign devices to different triplets
  • It's also possible that the USB kext did not set port types correctly

Last edited:
- A Dell 275K monitor with a USB hub. Hub doesn't work -either- on TB dock or straight to MB mapped port (unmapped doesn't panic, so would indicate that not a hardware/power issue w mb)
Are you referring to the Dell UP2715K, which is a 5K monitor when two DP cables are connected? This is not a Thunderbolt monitor, but it has a USB 3.0 upstream port and five USB 3.0 downstream ports.

When you refer to unmapped ports, are you referring to one of the ports on the Dell monitor? And mapped ports are ports mapped in the USB port map SSDT (i.e. ports on the computer)?

So kernel panic occurs only when connecting any USB device (or just drive) to a port on the computer?

-No external drive what-so-ever - not on MB, not on TB dock. Any kind of thumb/SSD causes kp straight. Internal HFS/AFS/NTFS drives mount correctly.
Does this mean that no external USB drive of any kind (including USB flash drive) works when connected to any USB port on (a) the computer, (b) the TB dock, and (c) the Dell monitor?

-Now using USB 2 hub straight to MB and that works.
But a USB 2.0 hub connected to motherboard allows you to connect USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives without any problem?

• Was the BIOS updated recently?
  • Have you tried CMOS Reset?
  • Did the problem occur in Ventura 13.1?
    • If Ventura 13.1 was okay, do you have a bootable backup of any version of Ventura earlier than 13.2?

Are you referring to the Dell UP2715K, which is a 5K monitor when two DP cables are connected? This is not a Thunderbolt monitor, but it has a USB 3.0 upstream port and five USB 3.0 downstream ports.

When you refer to unmapped ports, are you referring to one of the ports on the Dell monitor? And mapped ports are ports mapped in the USB port map SSDT (i.e. ports on the computer)?

So kernel panic occurs only when connecting any USB device (or just drive) to a port on the computer?

Does this mean that no external USB drive of any kind (including USB flash drive) works when connected to any USB port on (a) the computer, (b) the TB dock, and (c) the Dell monitor?

But a USB 2.0 hub connected to motherboard allows you to connect USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives without any problem?

• Was the BIOS updated recently?
  • Have you tried CMOS Reset?
  • Did the problem occur in Ventura 13.1?
    • If Ventura 13.1 was okay, do you have a bootable backup of any version of Ventura earlier than 13.2?
Thanks CaseySJ for taking time to reply and give thoughts.
Yes - so in general I have a 2xDP monitor that has a built in usb hub. And in addition I have a OWC thunderbolt dock with various tb devices connected. The TB dock connects straight to MB and it does have one USB point to it. What I understand, is that - that port does NOT need mapping. OS should and has worked correctly regarldess of mapping in the past. So in the past it was as simple as adding the monitor to that dock. Though I do have my own mapping with internal usb and two ports for usage.

After the update to 13.2 something broke in between. Got kernel panics on startup (haven't really got to verbose yet on bigger things). First thought that the tb connection was at fault or AppleVTD (have had problems with intel ethernet), but v-td query didn't change anything and got normal boot with TB connected (and nothing else). Only thing I can't connect is my monitor's hub (only 3.0 hub that I have here) or any thumb/extrnal ssd drive to any USB connections. USB 2.0 hub works fine with other peripherals than drives.

I used to have small problems with my old x299 boards XHCI handoff and then the problem was a little similar but reboot happened regardless of mapping. So that was a bios thing.

I do have Time Machine backups but that takes time. Will do blank ssd install of Monterey for starters and go from there.
This doesn't seem to be something anyone else is having trouble with, so seems to be isolated just for my case (that's why I'm pretty sure its software related on something old I have installed - that prevents the new version of IOUSBMassStorageDriver.kext to load or something similar).

Oh and-
Latest BIOS installed when arrived, so not recently. And default troubleshooting steps have been taken (including CMOS reset)

Oh and addtion
Now that I think of it. The monitor has a built in card reader. Pretty sure that calls for the same kexts as normal thumb drives.

Last edited:
Because I've not seen the USB map kext, I can only guess:
  • USBToolBox generates a USB kext that maps USB controllers to a specific Bus:Device:Cmd triplet that appears in IOReg as pcidebug. If we enable or disable certain devices in BIOS such as on-board WiFi or on-board Thunderbolt, some motherboards reassign devices to different triplets
  • It's also possible that the USB kext did not set port types correctly
@CaseySJ There you go. Please let me know whats wrong.

Attachments

• USBMap.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 30
Back