Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

That doesnt sound good for anyone using Adobe apps. Im starting to wonder if I should build a 10850k system and not worry about compatibility.
10th generation is always the safe choice, if slightly underwhelming and constrained by motherboard availability.
You may want to review the AVX experiments earlier in this thread (mid-November?), especially by @Middleman, but if I remember correctly, Adobe applications always work fine on Alder Lake, including with E-cores enabled (AVX-512 off).
With Acidanthera's latest ProvideCurrentCpuInfo quirk (or the experimental CpuTopologySync.kext by @ccx4700) and all cores/threads on, Alder Lake is "limited" to AVX-2 anyway, and this will be the default/preferred setting for most. Intel's move is relevant only for those who specifically benefit from AVX-512—and, then, an alternative choice might be X299/C422/C621 as these are the platforms with official AVX-512 support on the corresponding Macs (iMacPro1,1: C422; MacPro7,1: C621). (There's also Rocket Lake, but then there's no corresponding real Mac.)

Since with High Sierra I do not have support for ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, and a 12900K runs pretty toasty without E cores, I gave your kext a try to see if this helps in my 8 P + 8 E (no HT) setup.

While I am uncertain what is expected in this configuration, I am seeing a substantial improvement.
Before: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11872212
After: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11954304

I really wish I had the skills to investigate expanding the ProvideCurrentCpuInfo kernel patch to the High Sierra kernel, if it is even possible.
I wish these 2 OpenCore kernel patches will be working for you.
Code:
Base:    _cpuid_set_info
Find:    B9350000 000F32
Replace: B8180018 0031D2
Count:   2
Comment: Set core_count = 0x18(24), thread_count = 0x18(24)
Identifier: kernel

Find:    C1E81AFF C089
Replace: B8800000 0089
Count:   1
Comment: Set core per package count to 128
Identifier: kernel
MaxKernel: 18.99.99
Backgrounds:
ProvideCurrentCpuInfo consists of 2 patches below.
1. _cpu_id_set_info patch
2. cores_per_package patch

First patch sets core count the same as thread count. It's not mandatory for my CpuTopologySync.kext but it seemes improve stability.
This patch is common across macOS versions, but depends on the total thread count. ProvideCurrentCpuInfo adjusts it automatically, but this time xx part of B8xx00xx is set as 24(0x18) threads.

Latter patch sets cores_per_package the same as threads_per_package. It's required to work my CpuTopologySync.kext with HT enabled but currently I don't fully understand why.
This patch depends on macOS versions. I haven't tested on High Sierra, but looking at a disassembled High Sierra kernel, it looks like same as the patch for Mojave.

Last edited:
Is ProvideCurrentCpuInfo set to true?

If it doesn't work with ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, use debug version of Lilu and this kext and show me the debug log.
To get debug log, add -ctsdbg liludump=30 to boot args and execute cat /var/log/Lilu* | grep cts after boot.
Now works
GB5 1i2.png

I did not notice that there is a newer version of GB5 5.4.4. Now it's like that.

gb5 12900 z.png

Last edited:
Hey @ori69

Can you share your EFI for gigabyte z690 gaming x after recent fixes? :)

Hi Radu! Count on me. After getting your hardware, tell me. Until then try to buy BCM94360NG to replace Intel WIFI PCI-e (for having all Mac feature). Depending on what you want and need, if Thunderbolt is necessary, buy Titan Ridge. Keep me up to date. La Multi Ani!
La mulți ani! I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts and should have everything delivered by January 12th. The computer will be using wired internet throughout its life, do I need a Wi-Fi card? I have a Bluetooth dongle for connecting AirPods and such, but I never use it. I also don’t know if I’d need Thunderbolt, what are some use cases for that?
The processor I ordered is the i9-12900kf since I will always use a discreet GPU, will I need to tweak anything from your SSDTs?
Thank you very much for your help, I can’t wait to get it all built and running!

Background performance study of what Apple is doing with its split P/E core architecture,

I offer this as fodder for discussion of the implications of Apple's move towards its own silicon, and submit that there will not be future performance parity of any hackintosh to Apple kit. The gap is already here and will substantially widen with new Mac introductions:

La mulți ani! I bit the bullet and ordered all the parts and should have everything delivered by January 12th. The computer will be using wired internet throughout its life, do I need a Wi-Fi card? I have a Bluetooth dongle for connecting AirPods and such, but I never use it. I also don’t know if I’d need Thunderbolt, what are some use cases for that?
The processor I ordered is the i9-12900kf since I will always use a discreet GPU, will I need to tweak anything from your SSDTs?
Thank you very much for your help, I can’t wait to get it all built and running!
About WiFi and Bluetooth on Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681. i9-12900KF will do. About Thunderbolt: in my opinion, a computer without TB, now, it is not complete. After you have the hardware, I'll build your EFI.

You can try my build here. It works with Opencore 0.7.4. You must enable all cores plus turn on hyperthreading.
Also you can only boot from AMD dGPU.
Hey Middleman! So I tried your Efi File and this is the screen that boots. I've configured it a few different ways before I responded and have learned alot more about this Opencore way but am still having issue. Right now I'm trying to boot with an AMD r9 nano should I try to remove the GPU and try the Igpu? What are your thoughts...
IMG_20220103_192616__02.jpg

Hi Radu! Count on me. After getting your hardware, tell me. Until then try to buy BCM94360NG to replace Intel WIFI PCI-e (for having all Mac feature). Depending on what you want and need, if Thunderbolt is necessary, buy Titan Ridge. Keep me up to date. La Multi Ani!
I pulled the trigger and I should have all the parts within 10 days or so.
Thank you for the quick response and future help! Is there a reason to get a Wi-Fi card? I plan on using this computer with wired internet at all times. Also, what are some use cases for Thunderbolt?
Oh, the processor I ordered is the 12900kf since I’ll always have a discreet gpu, will your SSDTs need any modifications to accommodate this?

Hey Middleman! So I tried your Efi File and this is the screen that boots. I've configured it a few different ways before I responded and have learned alot more about this Opencore way but am still having issue. Right now I'm trying to boot with an AMD r9 nano should I try to remove the GPU and try the Igpu? What are your thoughts...View attachment 538411
The IGPU from Alder Lake 12900K is not going to work so don't bother with it. The only way you're going to get it to work is via a dGPU. If you are using a AMD GPU you need one that is compatible according to these lists.

> https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

> https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/macos-limits.html#gpu-support

I don't think a R9 Nano is going to cut it.

Back