Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Benchmark with all 3 situation. Left without CpuTopologySync.kext, middle with CpuTopologySync.kext, right with CpuTopologySync.kext and -ctssmt.
Until new findings I will stay without.

I have tried all 3 ways and every time I have:

1.24.png

How do you do that you have 1.16.24?

1.16.24.png

On an unrelated news, Intel is moving to kill AVX-512 in Alder Lake. One wonders why Intel even bothered to introduce this instruction set on the desktop with Rocket Lake just a few months ago.
That doesnt sound good for anyone using Adobe apps. Im starting to wonder if I should build a 10850k system and not worry about compatibility.

Hey, I'm just waiting for memory to deliver sometime this week so I can finish building an Asus z590i Gaming Wifi box (ITX), What CPU and MoBo are you using in this setup? Thanks in advance
That's a Asus Z690 Prime P D4 with an i9 12900K.

I cleaned up a debug prints and rebuild the kext. (no functionality changes)
And I also attached RestrictEvents.kext with minimal fix to make About This Mac CPU name change working with my CpuTopologySync.kext.

changelog: https://gist.github.com/b00t0x/a13cefd4644e9d6d57908ce3420c3002/revisions
Since with High Sierra I do not have support for ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, and a 12900K runs pretty toasty without E cores, I gave your kext a try to see if this helps in my 8 P + 8 E (no HT) setup.

While I am uncertain what is expected in this configuration, I am seeing a substantial improvement.
Before: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11872212
After: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11954304

I really wish I had the skills to investigate expanding the ProvideCurrentCpuInfo kernel patch to the High Sierra kernel, if it is even possible.

That's a Asus Z690 Prime P D4 with an i9 12900K.
Thanks for that, I've got an i7 and pondering which SYMBIOS to use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1. If I go with iMacPro1,1, as you did, then I'm understanding using CPUFriend.kext is recommended for power management but I'd also need to configure CPUFriendDataProvider.kext to get that working.

I've done some searching and found CPUfriendfriend (great name huh?) as a way to help with that but I think you are still supposed to test the results and modify the high and low values (or am I out to lunch on that?). Long story short how did you build your CPUFriendDataProvider.kext? Any pointers or guides you know of I'd more than appreciate.

Thanks for that, I've got an i7 and pondering which SYMBIOS to use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1. If I go with iMacPro1,1, as you did, then I'm understanding using CPUFriend.kext is recommended for power management but I'd also need to configure CPUFriendDataProvider.kext to get that working.

I've done some searching and found CPUfriendfriend (great name huh?) as a way to help with that but I think you are still supposed to test the results and modify the high and low values (or am I out to lunch on that?). Long story short how did you build your CPUFriendDataProvider.kext? Any pointers or guides you know of I'd more than appreciate.
I see. Well what I did was I followed one of the Github guides for Cpufriendfriend and then built it from that. The data I had was derived from the Wikichip data for the i9 12900K such as standard base speed and boost speed. Configuration is easy, just look at the sample they use and derive from that, it’s not difficult.

I see. Well what I did was I followed one of the Github guides for Cpufriendfriend and then built it from that. The data I had was derived from the Wikichip data for the i9 12900K such as standard base speed and boost speed. Configuration is easy, just look at the sample they use and derive from that, it’s not difficult.
Gotcha, guess I was overthinking it because that’s what I did with a Rocket Lake CPU. I didn’t see any difference in thermals or performance so figured I did it incorrectly. Thanks again

Use this:
I wrote that I tried and every time I have 1 processor 24 threads. Is there anything else to change in config when using CpuTopologySync.kext and -ctssmt or CpuTopologySync.kext itself?

I wrote that I tried and every time I have 1 processor 24 threads. Is there anything else to change in config when using CpuTopologySync.kext and -ctssmt or CpuTopologySync.kext itself?
Is ProvideCurrentCpuInfo set to true?

If it doesn't work with ProvideCurrentCpuInfo, use debug version of Lilu and this kext and show me the debug log.
To get debug log, add -ctsdbg liludump=30 to boot args and execute cat /var/log/Lilu* | grep cts after boot.

Attachments

• CpuTopologySync-1.0.1-DEBUG.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 50
Back