Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

I'm not getting a boot, but the progress bar makes nearly to the end. Was there anything to disable or enable in BIOS?
Disable E-cores, disable VT-D, CSM setting didn't matter, Boot Other OS and Not Windows8/10- setting in BIOS.

My friend, I'm glad to see you here... you're definitely non abandoning the ship ahahah

I'm too considering jumping from X299 to Z690 as you read, do you feel it snappier? can you explain it? basically, what kind of performance improvemente you feel in day to day use compared to X299 and your M1 (I remember you bought one but I can be wrong)?

macOS is already uninstalled on my Alder lake system. Just wanted to attempt to install to see how difficult it would be. Fortunately, CaseySJ, etorix, Acidanthera team, etc., made it really easy so major kudos, and thanks to them!

Didn't test it a whole lot. But it seems like the 12900K is faster overall than my old 10980XE? Day to day tasks are definitely faster as apps launch faster and webpages seem more responsive on par with my M1 Macbook Air.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 09.54.52.png

I'm still going to wait to see what Apple does with the Mac Mini or Pro before changing. I'm not currently needing anything super nice for macOS so the M1 Air will do for now. My Linux machine with my old 7900x/Rampage VI Extreme Encore is handling my VM needs nicely.

Last edited:
Can you recommend the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 with 12700k for building?

Last edited:
Can you recommend the Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 with 12700k for building?
Sure, this board should be just fine. Latest Gigabyte BIOS has fixed a number of memory compatibility problems.

Looks like the Hackintosh era will stay a little longer boys
I wonder Xeon Processor will be used? Perhaps Sapphire Rapids? Hopefully, if this rumor is true, Apple also implements native macOS support for Maple Ridge Thunderbolt 4.

Sapphire Rapids is not yet released, and the workstation variants come even after the servers parts.
The sole candidate is the "Ice Lake Xeon" line, W-3300 (topping out with the 32-core W-3365 due to the 64-thread limit).

Last edited:
Back