Contribute
Register

Z690 Chipset Motherboards and Alder Lake CPU

Hello,

I have been playing around with my new Z690 system the past several days trying to put together an EFI, I cam across yours and by far I have made some progress however I am still having little success.

Asus Prime Z690-A
32GB Ddr5
NZXT Krakken Z53
NVIDIA 2080Ti (disabled via ssdt)
AMD FireProW7000 for Mac OS
1TB SSD for Mac OS, 2TB for windows
Fenvi T919
Asus Thunderbolt 4 PCI Card

I have resizable bar and 4g decoding enabled, but everything else off: CSM, Secure Boot, OS is set to Other OS, VT-d, etc.

I can boot to Open Core easily but booting into the installer is very hit or miss, sometimes it just get stuck or panics right at the apple logo sometimes it boots into the installer and less then 5 minutes it just looks up. I currently do not have USB ports mapped yet and I am running this from a USB2 drive in a USB3 port.

The only changes I made to the release efi was adding in my SSDT that disables my Nvidia card, and enabling the Intel Ethernet.

Is there any additional suggestions as what I should be looking to do?

Thank you for any assistance. I can post logs or the EFI back.
Possibly try to booting with your integrated graphics. You’ll be surprised how my GPU stopped me getting into the installer.

@zgamer2621

Some suggestions:
  • Physically remove the NVidia card during installation.
  • Make these changes if not already done:
    • Booter —> ResizeAppleGpuBars = 0
    • Misc —> Security —> SecureBootModel = Disabled
  • Also confirm that PlatformInfo —> DataHub credentials are set.

Thank you for the suggestions, I now have it bootable however after about between 30 seconds - 5 minutes of usability the OS completely crashes and powers off and reboots.

In the time I could see what's happening, I don't think the SSD method of disabling my Nvidia card was fully working so I was able to set it in device properties and now it looks like its fully disabled.

But, after doing that, I'm still having power issues. Once I can get this to be more stable, I can move onto mapping my ports.
Let’s check a couple of things:
  • Post a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the Nvidia device tree (clear the search field if it was used). Click on the Nvidia device name so we can see whether “device-id” and other modified properties took effect.
  • Post a screenshot of Device Properties with the Nvidia device selected on left side (of OpenCore Configurator).
Do the crashes occur if Nvidia GPU is physically removed (or its PCIe power cables are removed)?

What are the makes/models of all SSDs?

@aneox I suggest:
1. Remove this one and try to load:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,1,0/0,0/0,0/0,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>VGA compatible controller</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>AMD Radeon 6800XT</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x1)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,1,0/0,0/0,0/0,1</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Audio device</string>
<key>model</key>
<string></string>
</dict>

2. Check with kextstat that WhateverGreen is loaded.

@aneox I suggest:
1. Remove this one and try to load:
2. Check with kextstat that WhateverGreen is loaded.
1. no effect
⟩ kextstat | grep "WhateverGreen" Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded No variant specified, falling back to release 52 0 0 0x80000 0x80000 as.vit9696.WhateverGreen (1.5.5) 9F7BED07-35BC-3306-88A5-D5DADBD42A53 <51 16 9 7 6 3 2 1>

@CaseySJ
I Installed an BCM94360NG from Fenvi.
The only kext I'm using is BlueToolFixup.kext

Bluetooth and WiFi Work.
Some continuity functions don't work
1640525616919.png

Import from iPhone detects my iPhone but timeouts, tried all 3 options.
Universal Clipboard only works from iPhone to my Hack, not the other way around.

About my Mac shows THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE ?
1640525682253.png

@CaseySJ
I Installed an BCM94360NG from Fenvi.
The only kext i'm using is BlueToolFixup.kext

Bluetooth and WiFi Work.
Some continuity functions don't work
View attachment 537874

Import from iPhone detects my iPhone but timeouts, tried all 3 options.
Universal Clipboard only works from iPhone to my Hack, not the other way around.

About my Mac shows THIRD_PARTY_DONGLE ?
View attachment 537875
There are some limitations with Continuity. For importing photo or document from iPhone, first try powering down and restarting the iPhone.

Thank you for the suggestions, I now have it bootable however after about between 30 seconds - 5 minutes of usability the os completely crashes and powers off and reboots.
This is a desktop compatibility thread. If you need specific troubleshooting help with your Z690 motherboard installation, then create a new separate support thread in Monterey desktop support. Put Asus Prime Z690-A in the title.

When you do this it will help others easily find the relevant info for the Asus Prime Z690-A install and setup. If it's all scattered throughout this general Z690 comptatibility thread it's not helpful to anyone else with the same board. A single support thread makes it easy to access all the Z690-A info.

Last edited:
1. no effect
[/ICODE]
Your 6800 works without any patches (only pikera in bootarg)? You needn't this patches.
Okay, what kind of sound isn't active? HDMI or analog?

Back