Contribute
Register

Yosemite won't boot on Dell 5521 - Black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z97X-UD5H, Chimera
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7 4790K 4.0GHz, Intel® Z97 Express Chipset
Graphics
EVGA GT740 SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey!

I successfully installed OS X Yosemite 10.10 using UniBeast on my Dell 5521 (specs in my profile). But it won't boot after installing. The apple logo and the progress bar appears. After the progress bar progresses about 1/3, both the logo and the bar disappears, the screen goes black and the mouse appears (mouse is working) and nothing happens. How can i fix this problem?

I tried booting it from Chimera (Unibeast USB) and Clover, but non of them worked. I tried booting in Verbose mode to see where it hangs, but all the logs disappear and the screen goes black again with the mouse. OS X actually boots in Safe mode, but I pretty much can't do a thing while in safe mode, because I have no internet and the system won't recognize any USB device in safe mode.

I didn't want to just blindly start trying boot flags, because there is a lot of them and I don't really have the time to keep restarting my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey!

I successfully installed OS X Yosemite 10.10 using UniBeast on my Dell 5521 (specs in my profile). But it won't boot after installing. The apple logo and the progress bar appears. After the progress bar progresses about 1/3, both the logo and the bar disappears, the screen goes black and the mouse appears (mouse is working) and nothing happens. How can i fix this problem?

I tried booting it from Chimera (Unibeast USB) and Clover, but non of them worked. I tried booting in Verbose mode to see where it hangs, but all the logs disappear and the screen goes black again with the mouse. OS X actually boots in Safe mode, but I pretty much can't do a thing while in safe mode, because I have no internet and the system won't recognize any USB device in safe mode.

I didn't want to just blindly start trying boot flags, because there is a lot of them and I don't really have the time to keep restarting my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

I did provide them... Edited them to amke it more clear, I don't have a bootloader installed on my laptop currently (boots instantly to windows) I have bootloaders installed on USB flash drives.

I did provide them... Edited them to amke it more clear,

When I replied, your profile was missing screen resolution. Now you have it there...

If you're to use Clover: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

If you're to use Chameleon/Chimera: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-unibeast.html

I don't have a bootloader installed on my laptop currently (boots instantly to windows) I have bootloaders installed on USB flash drives.

You should place the bootloader you plan to use.

Right now I'm using chimera, that was installed on my usb flash drive along with the OSX installer.

My problem isn't with the installer. I installer boots just fine (with -x) and installs OSX. My problem is with the installed Yosemite not booting (it boots with -x, but I can't really do a thing in safe mode). Although if the guide you provided applies to that to, it should boot just fin with chimare according to the guide. I tried both IntelCapriFB=3 GraphicsEnabler=Yes flags, but didn't work (assuming the "Ivy Bridge/HD4000/7-serieschipset/low resolution" part applies to my laptop).

Right now I'm using chimera, that was installed on my usb flash drive along with the OSX installer.

My problem isn't with the installer. I installer boots just fine (with -x) and installs OSX. My problem is with the installed Yosemite not booting (it boots with -x, but I can't really do a thing in safe mode). Although if the guide you provided applies to that to, it should boot just fin with chimare according to the guide. I tried both IntelCapriFB=3 GraphicsEnabler=Yes flags, but didn't work (assuming the "Ivy Bridge/HD4000/7-serieschipset/low resolution" part applies to my laptop).

You should read the guide I linked.

IntelCapriFB is not a valid boot flag for Chimera.

Alright, I read the whole thing. I will try disabling VT-d (or dart=0 flag). I will also try the USB flags if USB is supposed to work in Safe Mode. The other solutions didn't seem to apply to my problem. I will report back when I get home.

Alright, I read the whole thing. I will try disabling VT-d (or dart=0 flag). I will also try the USB flags if USB is supposed to work in Safe Mode. The other solutions didn't seem to apply to my problem. I will report back when I get home.

If it is not working, boot verbose and post quality photo of entire screen where it stops...

If it is not working, boot verbose and post quality photo of entire screen where it stops...

I tried disabling Virtualization Technology, didn't work. I tried the USB flags, but none of them did anything.

As I said in my first post, when I boot in verbose, the screen still goes black and the mouse still appears. I made a video which is uploading right now (will post when finished). I made a bunch of photos while verbose booting. Here is the last screen just before the screen goes black:
W7bVQ3Bl.jpg
Full Image

Here are all the images I took.

Hope it helps.

I tried disabling Virtualization Technology, didn't work. I tried the USB flags, but none of them did anything.

As I said in my first post, when I boot in verbose, the screen still goes black and the mouse still appears. I made a video which is uploading right now (will post when finished). I made a bunch of photos while verbose booting. Here is the last screen just before the screen goes black:
View attachment 122293
Full Image

Here are all the images I took.

Hope it helps.

It does not appear you prepared your USB correctly...

Follow the guide as written: http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-unibeast.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back