Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
x99m Gaming 5
CPU
i7 5820k
Graphics
NVidia 970
Hi everyone, I just wanted to roll a word about my Hackintosh experience and using the tips found on the tonymac site!

First, I really appreciated the guides, and the tools. It seems universally with most folks who have built their hackintosh, that it is a learning experience; and the trip seems to sometimes yield inconsistent results with some part of the build left sort of - undone. This is to be expected I guess, since we are not all using the same equipment combination.

I am trying a few Hackintosh builds for a couple friends and I will post results here... These are the results of mine and some lessons learned.

Motherboard/Chipset CPU Memory GPU Overclocked CPU/GPU Operating System Notes/Peripherals Result
Gigabyte x99m Gaming 5 v1.0 i7 5820k (Haswell) 32 GB DDR4 NVidia 970 NO Mojave Bluetooth/Multiple Monitors/Onboard Ethernet Partially Working - Generic Mac Video - Single Monitor Only
Gigabyte x99m Gaming 5 v1.0 BIOS f25c i7 5820k 32 GB DDR4 AMD Radeon RX 580 - Worked out of the box $168 bucks and worth it! Metal Supported NO Mojave Bluetooth/Multiple Monitors/Onboard Ethernet Completely working, even basic power management. Sleeps, wakes up etc...

So far, my lessons learned are that NVidia support is not available in Mojave, and all third party hacks seem to only partially succeed in getting Software support, no hardware acceleration. My build was almost at a halt, when I just went to Microcenter and bought a new GPU on-sale. Just worked.

Also, I may be doing it wrong, but my motherboard just goes into a continual reboot pattern if I try overclocking my CPU, doesn't make it past POST, so I am not doing that at all, but still happy with the result using the Auto-clocked ~3500 GHz CPU speed selected by the motherboard.

Upgrading the BIOS to 25u or whatever the version number is for the latest on that board was STUPID helpful, so just get the ROM from

Another helpful tip was to get rid of all things not essential to the machine for booting up. Once built, add on.

Oh, and to load the Optimal Bios Settings and go. Besides choosing your USB stick as the boot device override occasionally as you are installing, you should not need to fornicate around in there at all. If you do attempt overclocking (mine didn't work out) know where the cmos reset jumper is on your board. You will need to carefully short that to bring your machine back from a reboot reboot cycle.

Hmm... thinking of other stuff I learned.. Oh yeah, for me after I got the OS installed, I got a bit lost in what to do next. Yes, the steps all made sense, but understanding that the boot partition of your mac hard disk is taking the place of what your USB stick was doing to start clover and needed the same stuff from my USB stick to do that was a miss for me. I went thru and did the install with the multi-beast tool, but started adding options and crap from in there. That really was a spiral of extreme time-suckage.

If I did it again, I would just choose the automatic detection from multi-beast or whatever and then install the boot partition using it. Once done, I mount (using the clover config tool) the EFI volume from my USB stick and copy all the stuff from the Clover folder into the hard disk EFI volume replacing what was there entirely. Get it booting by itself, then start adding stuff.

Bluetooth was extra easy too, I bought a Kensington USB / Bluetooth 4.0 dongle for $12 at Microcenter and shoved it onto a motherboard USB-3.0 slot and it just worked. No drivers, no KEXTs, no BS.

Hope this helps someone out there who may be struggling and wondering if it is possible (there were times I thought i might quit), this configuration does work and without much issue.

Hey thanks for your feedbacks
Would you mind sharing your EFI folders? That could help me with pm and sleep.
Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back