Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I see this semi-regularly as well. I can trigger it by manually selecting the startup disk in the Startup Disk system preferences, and clicking the Reboot button — happens every time I do that.

Also when installing system updates.

Same fix: turn the machine off at the wall (although then my bluetooth doesn't come up until I've booted once, and rebooted again).

I'm done with this when the Pro series Apple Silicon machines are available :(

Probably a good idea to submit a bug report to the OC devs.

So can anyone sums up which X299 motherboards have native working NVRAM in BS? Interested in getting into X299.

The SAGE10/G I have has native NVRAM.
The Prime Deluxe II I had before had native NVRAM.
The Designare EX I had before had native NVRAM.

I don't recommend the last two from my experience.

The SAGE10/G I have has native NVRAM.
The Prime Deluxe II I had before had native NVRAM.
The Designare EX I had before had native NVRAM.

I don't recommend the last two from my experience.
Just curious. any particular reason for not recommending Designare Ex?

I am tempted to get it to flash the internal TB ports, and save up some pcie slots, what was your experience here?

Just curious. any particular reason for not recommending Designare Ex?

I am tempted to get it to flash the internal TB ports, and save up some pcie slots, what was your experience here?

It had dual BIOS and the backup BIOS kept getting corrupted and overwriting the corrupted BIOS on the main one.

Gigabyte has the worst customer service and RMA procedures ever. They sent me a new board, that was corrupted too. Then they RMA'd that one, and the problem didn't go away.

Basically I would never recommend a Gigabyte to anyone.

And on top of that their BIOS is horrible, ASUS is miles ahead.

I really recommend the SAGE10/G if you can afford it. Or the SAGE II (which @djlild7hina uses). Or find a used/mint Prime Deluxe (not the II).

You don't need to worry about saving PCIe slots, there are plenty in these motherboards. Example, the SAGE10/G has 7 PCIe slots. Do you really have that many devices to put in? Also if TB3 is a requirement for you, the cards are around $70-80 on ebay brand new.

As far as the built in Wifi on the Designare EX, I would not recommend swapping it. Just disable it in the BIOS and get a good Wifi/BT card or else you're going to have major headaches with BT interference, dropouts etc. (Trust me I already did the homework for you).

The SAGE line of boards from ASUS are WS boards, which means they have better Quality Control (QC) than other boards.

I had a Prime Deluxe II (went through 3 boards) the first one had bent pins, the 2nd and 3rd one could not play well with 128GB of RAM (the RAM tracepaths on the board were of low quality, as even ASUS tech support agreed) so I dumped all of it and got a SAGE10/G.

X299 is a half-arsed platform, so it's best to get the best possible components you can and live with it, or else you're going to spend hundreds of not thousands of hours troubleshooting and pulling your hair out.

This is my last Hackintosh and I'm over it already. The Bad (spending lots of time setting up/troubleshooting) outweigh The good (more value for your $ and possibly faster performance due to overclocking). I just personally don't think it's worth my time to spend troubleshooting this stuff anymore and even then when you think you have a perfect system working, Apple releases new hardware (ARM) that won't be compatible with Intel with their OS....and/or they release an OS update that completely changes the way it boots (Big Sur) and so on. I'm personally over chasing the dragon and can't wait to part out my machine or sell it to someone who is using Windows only.

Last edited:
It had dual BIOS and the backup BIOS kept getting corrupted and overwriting the corrupted BIOS on the main one.

Gigabyte has the worst customer service and RMA procedures ever. They sent me a new board, that was corrupted too. Then they RMA'd that one, and the problem didn't go away.

Basically I would never recommend a Gigabyte to anyone.

And on top of that their BIOS is horrible, ASUS is miles ahead.

I really recommend the SAGE10/G if you can afford it. Or the SAGE II (which @djlild7hina uses). Or find a used/mint Prime Deluxe (not the II).

You don't need to worry about saving PCIe slots, there are plenty in these motherboards. Example, the SAGE10/G has 7 PCIe slots. Do you really have that many devices to put in? Also if TB3 is a requirement for you, the cards are around $70-80 on ebay brand new.

As far as the built in Wifi on the Designare EX, I would not recommend swapping it. Just disable it in the BIOS and get a good Wifi/BT card or else you're going to have major headaches with BT interference, dropouts etc. (Trust me I already did the homework for you).

The SAGE line of boards from ASUS are WS boards, which means they have better Quality Control (QC) than other boards.

I had a Prime Deluxe II (went through 3 boards) the first one had bent pins, the 2nd and 3rd one could not play well with 128GB of RAM (the RAM tracepaths on the board were of low quality, as even ASUS tech support agreed) so I dumped all of it and got a SAGE10/G.

X299 is a half-arsed platform, so it's best to get the best possible components you can and live with it, or else you're going to spend hundreds of not thousands of hours troubleshooting and pulling your hair out.

This is my last Hackintosh and I'm over it already. The Bad (spending lots of time setting up/troubleshooting) outweigh The good (more value for your $ and possibly faster performance due to overclocking). I just personally don't think it's worth my time to spend troubleshooting this stuff anymore and even then when you think you have a perfect system working, Apple releases new hardware (ARM) that won't be compatible with Intel with their OS....and/or they release an OS update that completely changes the way it boots (Big Sur) and so on. I'm personally over chasing the dragon and can't wait to part out my machine or sell it to someone who is using Windows only.

i already have a X299-A which is the deluxe without onboard wifi (also not II)

But my pcie slot 1 is fighting with my gpu sometimes (black screen), so right now i have gpu in slot-3 and titan ridge + fenvi t919 in slot 1 and 2.

And since that switch, sleep works worse. I can’t have any WOL enabled, it’s triggering instant wake, which is a dealbreaker for me.

Also planning to get dual gpus so thats why i want a lot of pcie slots.

For me, i got a delidded 7960x that runs 4.5ghz on each core, so i’ll continue my hack until apples arm-cpus could match that speed.

Thanks for your advice, i’ll be looking at the Sage II as well. Do you have proper sleep and WOL @djlild7hina ?

macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 released.

Attachments

• 2372240E-B55D-4F54-AB1D-4E1D3CBFCC65.jpeg
    2372240E-B55D-4F54-AB1D-4E1D3CBFCC65.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 38
i already have a X299-A which is the deluxe without onboard wifi (also not II)

But my pcie slot 1 is fighting with my gpu sometimes (black screen), so right now i have gpu in slot-3 and titan ridge + fenvi t919 in slot 1 and 2.

And since that switch, sleep works worse. I can’t have any WOL enabled, it’s triggering instant wake, which is a dealbreaker for me.

Also planning to get dual gpus so thats why i want a lot of pcie slots.

For me, i got a delidded 7960x that runs 4.5ghz on each core, so i’ll continue my hack until apples arm-cpus could match that speed.

Thanks for your advice, i’ll be looking at the Sage II as well. Do you have proper sleep and WOL @djlild7hina ?

Sleep works fine here but have not tested WOL. Is there any easy way to check WOL?

Last edited:
Anyone get a dash in opencore menu when Rebooting sometimes? A hard reset brings it back to normal.

Yeah, I see this semi-regularly as well. I can trigger it by manually selecting the startup disk in the Startup Disk system preferences, and clicking the Reboot button — happens every time I do that.

Also when installing system updates.

Same fix: turn the machine off at the wall (although then my bluetooth doesn't come up until I've booted once, and rebooted again).

I'm done with this when the Pro series Apple Silicon machines are available :(

Do you have the ASMedia kext?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back