Ok show me your EFI partition.
If should look something like this:
/EFI:
Code:
-Clover>CLOVERX64.efi
-Microsoft>boot>bootmgfw.efi 
-Ubuntu/or other>grubx64.efi
-Boot>BOOTX64.efi

Yes, it does have these (except for windows, it is renamed to bootmgfw-orig.efi as RehabMan said)

So you just have to make sure that the original grubx64.efi is not present and just move it elsewhere?
If so, I suppose similar in the fact of Windows where you rename from bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Moving/renaming trick works only with windows. With ubuntu, computer does not boot anymore.
i guess i have to find where the default EFI bootloader configuration is.

EDIT : i tried the boot-repair utility on ubuntu, forced moving grub to its partition, and set windows as default entry (thought that might work) but it didn't.

Yes, it does have these (except for windows, it is renamed to bootmgfw-orig.efi as RehabMan said)

Moving/renaming trick works only with windows. With ubuntu, computer does not boot anymore.
i guess i have to find where the default EFI bootloader configuration is.
Ok as RehabMan said, it may just be your firmware loading grubx64.efi as a default entry.
What you can do is rename it to something else. And then use a custom entry with Clover to load it (use clover configurator).
It is quite strange though, that it will not boot when grubx64.efi is removed. Copy the CLOVERX64.efi binary and paste it into /EFI/BOOT/ and then rename it to BOOTX64.efi to replace the current one (backup first).
See if it would boot then.

So you just have to make sure that the original grubx64.efi is not present and just move it elsewhere?
If so, I suppose similar in the fact of Windows where you rename from bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Yup... same thing going on with grubx64.efi with regard to BIOS. BIOS has stuff hard-coded, and unfortunately, does not prioritize \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi.

Maybe Clover devs should allow the rename from grubx64.efi to grubx64-orig.efi.

That would certainly be useful, but custom entries are an easy work around.

Ok as RehabMan said, it may just be your firmware loading grubx64.efi as a default entry.
What you can do is rename it to something else. And then use a custom entry with Clover to load it (use clover configurator).
It is quite strange though, that it will not boot when grubx64.efi is removed. Copy the CLOVERX64.efi binary and paste it into /EFI/BOOT/ and then rename it to BOOTX64.efi to replace the current one (backup first).
See if it would boot then.

Backing up /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi and copying clover in it's place did not work.
what i did next, backing up /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi and copying clover in it's place. that worked.

Pretty sure this is not the cleanest way to do things, because now i get a "booting in insecure mode" (which is ubuntu's) for a second, before clover shows up. Meaning Ubuntu's grub is still somehow the default boot loader, but since the file is replaced, clover is loaded.

Edit : i got access to yosemite, renamed everything back to its original, and reinstalled clover. the grub took control again. how doesn't installing clover again solves the problem?

Edit : i got access to yosemite, renamed everything back to its original, and reinstalled clover. the grub took control again. how doesn't installing clover again solves the problem?

BIOS is running grubx64.efi directly.

BIOS is running grubx64.efi directly.
I'm sure something else is going on. i get "booting in insecure mode" before clover loads (or even before grub loads). that's ubuntu's (and it only got there after the ubuntu install). There must be a "main entry" that decides which efi to load.
Besides, it doesn't make sense, that BIOS has a list of major efi bootloader names.

I'm sure something else is going on. i get "booting in insecure mode" before clover loads (or even before grub loads). that's ubuntu's (and it only got there after the ubuntu install). There must be a "main entry" that decides which efi to load.

You should investigate by renaming various boot files to determine what is going on...

Besides, it doesn't make sense, that BIOS has a list of major efi bootloader names.

Of course it has a "magic list." How do you think the BIOS is supposed to load the EFI files so they can be executed?

Yes grub is taking priority over anything else. Did you say you tried removing all the grub entries can you book Clover then?
Also with your 'work around' can you book Ubuntu still?

You should investigate by renaming various boot files to determine what is going on...

Of course it has a "magic list." How do you think the BIOS is supposed to load the EFI files so they can be executed?

Well, when i renamed bootmgfw.efi, clover still finds it, but when grub is renamed it's not the case. That's also curious.
I think i should aquire more knowlage about EFI booting. I guess i have some reading to do.

I'll report back if i ever find anything interesting.

Yes grub is taking priority over anything else. Did you say you tried removing all the grub entries can you book Clover then?
Also with your 'work around' can you book Ubuntu still?

Just moving grubx64.efi and putting clover in it's place.
And of course, when choosing ubuntu from clover, clover starts again (with the ubuntu entry missing)

Well, when i renamed bootmgfw.efi, clover still finds it, but when grub is renamed it's not the case. That's also curious.

Not curious at all. It is a Clover feature specifically for bootmgfw-orig.efi, but not implemented for grubx64-orig.efi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back