Contribute
Register

Will this build run Yosemite? & more questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming-7
CPU
Intel i5 4670K
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all, I posted here a while ago about a build I thought about getting but changed my mind and got a Macbook Pro until getting one later down the line, now Iv'e saved up the money again and want to rethink my Hackintosh.

I also want to run Windows as well, as I want this computer mainly to be for gaming and some side-mac related web surfing, and perhaps some graphics work - although gaming is the main priority with this computer.

I am trying to budget myself but I still want to be able to play high end games well, I'm not too fussed on playing ultra settings, but I'd like to at least play middle graphic settings without lag what so ever.

So here it goes, this is my build:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAM

£120
Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU

£159
Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core

Motherboard

£68.16
Gigabyte Z87X-SLI Motherboard

GPU

£169
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
HDD & SSD

£55
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

// http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3W15P0/?tag=tonymacx86-21

£40
WD 1TB Desktop SATA HDD Blue
Power Supply

£60
Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 Plus Bronze PSU
Enclosure

£60
NZXT H230 Mid Tower Performance Silent Case USB 3.0, 120mm Quiet Fan - White
Monitor

£173
BenQ EW2740L LED VA 27 -inch W 1920 x 1080 Monitor
Bluetooth Adapter

£9
Bluetooth 3.0 USB Adapter
Mouse

£45
Apple Magic Mouse
Keyboard

£36
Apple Keyboard with numeric keypad - British

Total: £996.36

So please help me before I make the big purchase, I'd like to know as much as possible for this type of build and components as I don't want to be wasting money for a £1000 purchase!

My questions so far:

Will this build work on the latest Yosemite OS?
Will I need to be configuring anything such as BIOS (except the Unibeast/OS installment)?
Will the Bluetooth Adapter (USB) pick up my mouse instantly or will I have to wait on the OS?
Am I being cheap on certain components?
Is it worth getting a different component for something?
Should I upgrade certain components?
Will Apple's Magic Mouse gestures work on a Hackintosh's Yosemite?
Will Apple's Magic Mouse gestures work on Windows 8.1?
Is 750W Power Supply too much? (650W is another possibility)

I'd like to run Windows 8.1 & Yosemite, should I install Yosemite first and setup Windows through Bootcamp? (Will have USB flash drive only no CD/DVD)

If you have any information on these components/build information/installation I'd love to hear!

Just so you know, I will plan to play games such as Farcry 4 and Assassins Creed Unity.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to responses!

If the build is primarily for gaming, you should put more money towards a good GPU. 16GB RAM is nice, but not really useful for games.

Save some money by going for 8GB of RAM, rather than 16.

You can get a GTX 970 for between £249 and £299, which is nearly twice as fast as the GTX 760 and will serve you for longer. Another option is a AMD R9 280X, which is cheaper than a GTX 970 and a bit slower. It has fairly good OS X compatibility.

Other than that, everything looks pretty good. You don't really need a 750W power supply, although it keeps open the possibility of adding a second graphics card later on if you like. Your CPU is a good choice, the games you mentioned are reasonably CPU intensive and would likely benefit.

Everything should work fine with Yosemite. You'll most likely need to tweak a couple of BIOS settings, but nothing difficult. The Magic Mouse will work perfectly with OS X; it will also work in Windows, but you'll need to install Boot Camp drivers for things like scrolling and other gestures. The experience won't be as nice with Windows as it will be in OS X, but definitely still usable.

If you're looking to dual boot Windows and OS X, it's a lot less troublesome if you use separate disks for each OS. If you want to run OS X from the SSD and Windows from the HDD, that would be fine; if you want half of your SSD for each OS, I'd recommend getting two SSDs instead of one... however I think 60GB would be a bit of a squeeze.

For dual booting Windows and OS X, if you're putting them on separate disks, it's easy. Just unplug the OS X disk when you're installing Windows and unplug the Windows disk when you're installing OS X. If you're going to have them both on the same disk, you need to install Windows first. There are some guides on this website.

Thanks for responding!

I went for 16 as I have an 8 on my iMac and sometimes it doesn't seem to be enough at some points, I will also be using it for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign Adobe software and sometimes After Effects when I'm not gaming, however also typically deal with huge .TIF files that take a lot of power to load haha.

So is it better for just going a little higher on the GPU? I was told the 770 was great, but that's also about the same price Iv'e found as the 970, although I heard some rumours about the 9 series having trouble with hackintosh' ?

Great to hear about the Magic Mouse, I can't cope without the handy gestures thanks to Apple. With the power supply, would it be better to go with a 650W then instead? I did think at the time 750 may be too high, but I had no idea to calculate the wattage of everything I couldn't find the details for it anywhere.

Iv'e decided to upgrade the SSD to a 250GB instead of 120, I want both OS's running fast and smoothly, and windows will pretty much have nothing on it as the games will probably run from the HDD and all my important other apps on the SSD on the Mac OS. One last thing, is there a reason why Windows must be installed first if it's intended to be on the same disk? I will start looking for guides :)

Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure about dual booting Windows and OS X from the same disk, but what I do know is that Windows will overwrite the current bootloader when you install it. Have a look at some of the guides; I've only done dual boot from separate drives.

Having a higher rated PSU is always better; there's no such thing as 'too high' :) 750W is good if you can afford it.

Seeing as the 970 costs barely any more than a 770, I'd go with a 970. It has no out-of-box support in OS X right now, but all you need to do is install the Nvidia driver from their website and everything should work perfectly. Out of box support will come in a future OS X update.

Thanks I guess I'll try to do Windows first.

On the PSU front, my build currently comes to over £1040 with delivery so it's really pushing it, won't 600W work out as its like an extra £30-40 for a 750W...?

Idk where you got them prices from but the 970 is exactly/more double that the 770 for the UK so I think I'll just stick with the 770 :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back