Contribute
Register

What do I need to buy to update to 12.something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga-z170x-ud3
CPU
intel i7 6700k
Graphics
geforce gtx 1050 ti
Hello,
Sorry, I'm not good with computers. I made a working hackintosh a few years ago (still running on 10.12.5), but now it's time to update osx, because I can't use some newer photo softwares.
I have a GA-Z170X-UD3, an Intel Core i7 6700, 32 GB Mhz DDR4, and my graphic card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4095. I believe it is my graphic card that makes the update impossible?
Can you recommend a new one that will make the update possible and that will allow for some graphic acceleration or anything that it is needed with newer photo and cine softwares?
thanks a lot!

Hello,
Sorry, I'm not good with computers. I made a working hackintosh a few years ago (still running on 10.12.5), but now it's time to update osx, because I can't use some newer photo softwares.
I have a GA-Z170X-UD3, an Intel Core i7 6700, 32 GB Mhz DDR4, and my graphic card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4095. I believe it is my graphic card that makes the update impossible?
Can you recommend a new one that will make the update possible and that will allow for some graphic acceleration or anything that it is needed with newer photo and cine softwares?
thanks a lot!
you can use your built-in intel graphics and upgrade

If you want to continue using your Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, you can upgrade Mac OS only as far as High Sierra, version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042). That is the last Mac OS that will run your "Pascal" graphics card. You would also need the latest Nvidia Web Driver for Mac, version 387.10.10.10.40.140, available from tonymac here (top line).

If your newer photo software needs a later version of the MacOS than High Sierra, "Feartech's" advice above applies (although Intel's built-in graphics performance cannot touch your GTX 1050's 2.1 Teraflops.)

You could always upgrade your graphics card to something like an AMD Radeon RX 560, or if your computer case allows it, even an RX 580. (I am writing this on my "Mini-ITX 3" computer (below) which runs High Sierra and has the same graphics card as your present one.)

If you need to "leap" to a later version than High Sierra, there are at least the following considerations:
1) Mojave (10.14) is the last Mac OS to allow both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. That is,
2) Catalina (10.15) will run only 64-bit applications, as will all later versions of the MacOS.
3) Big Sur (11.x) occupies over 12 GBytes of storage space, as does
4) Monterey (12.x) which has to accommodate both Intel- and Apple M1-based architectures.

It's just me, but if I were in your situation, I would find the earliest Mac OS that is compatible with your latest software requirements and go with that.

Last edited:
But you can't update directly to Monterey, probably Catalina.
To go past catalina you will need a custom usb kext.
If using Clover I beieve you will find it easier to get past Catalina with OpenCore.
For your purposes Catalina will likely work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back