Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no 290x, correct?

I guess not.

Thought about getting a 280x as I think it's a great performance to price ratio...

My problem is that I run a mid tower w/ Micro ATX and the card is over 11" long!!! Ridiculous!~

:)

Luckily a 780ti SC w/ ACX cooler fits fine (10.5") and is "ok" (wink wink)

You might want to wait though. EVGA and Palit have announced they are working on a 6Gb 780 ti. Last manufacturer has already announced a 6Gb 780 already. EVGA said the 6Gb version would be $50 more. If you are thinking of gaming 2560x1440 on AAA games from 1 year on that would be better since some present games do use almost all the 3Gb the 780 ti has right now. I would say being limited by memory with such a pricey card in the short term on the next titles is a bummer.

Yeah. I needed something now though.

Running like a cool icy dream with the 780ti.

I got MSI 280x Gaming for my hackintosh (two of them, in fact), and they worked great OOB. Recognized by OS X, QE/CI working, not a single bug / hiccup.. So not sure why MSI wouldn't work, worked great for me.

That's great to hear!

Would you be so kind as to run some benchmarks and share the results?

Perhaps Luxmark and Unigine Heaven and any others you may be accustomed to?

Thank you!

So I dropped a Gigabyte R9 280X into my machine, seem to be a pretty nice card, didnt have to do anything at all to get it working, what I did notice however is that if I have the monitors (2) on the IGX, then Premiere Pro CC wont use the card in an Open CL configuration( Mercury Playback). FCPX will use it, it seems. the card is working in that config, I get 2200 odd in Luxmark. If I move the monitors over to the radeon ports, then I get mercury playback in premiere, but no boot screen in chameleon. there is a complicated Fix out there which involves moving files to the EFI partition. my question is, does it help to leave the internal graphics on running the displays only ? ( It seems FCPX runs one card for monitors and one card for processing with the new mac pro ) would this work similarly ?

So I dropped a Gigabyte R9 280X into my machine, seem to be a pretty nice card, didnt have to do anything at all to get it working, what I did notice however is that if I have the monitors (2) on the IGX, then Premiere Pro CC wont use the card in an Open CL configuration( Mercury Playback). FCPX will use it, it seems. the card is working in that config, I get 2200 odd in Luxmark. If I move the monitors over to the radeon ports, then I get mercury playback in premiere, but no boot screen in chameleon. there is a complicated Fix out there which involves moving files to the EFI partition. my question is, does it help to leave the internal graphics on running the displays only ? ( It seems FCPX runs one card for monitors and one card for processing with the new mac pro ) would this work similarly ?

What happens if you select PCI graphics only in the BIOS (no Internal GPU use at all).
Can you boot then? If so, performance?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back