Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like MSI has a new card that's supposedly now out in the retail market. I really want to see how the 3 additional GB of VRAM improves performance. Hopefully the price point isn't insane:

"The Radeon R9 280X 6GB from MSI is a regular Twin Frozr IV variant with the Tahiti XT chip. This means the GPU comes with 2048 streaming processors, same as the HD 7970GHz and it has a 1050MHz boost clock speed. The 6 GB VRAM operates along a 384-bit interface and is clocked at 6GHz effective, giving it unrivaled memory bandwidth."

I've just popped a £240 Gigabyte 280x onto my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
(As well as 3x 2TB WD Black drives in RAID0 - 450MB/s!)

I set the system to MacPro5.1 and deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver kext. No EFI partitioning or fiddling with init graphics etc. I'm running one monitor through the Mobo and another through the 280x.

It's giving me a Luxmark score of 2464. Great!
And the FCPX BruceX rendering test is now finishing in about 32 seconds.

Very happy, and thanks to all!

Is there a reason to set the system to MacPro 5.1 as opposed to the default 3.1? I'm using a Z87M-D3H Mobo and MSI R9 270x.

xfx r9 280x works but caps out at 2 monitors!

I love my r9 280x graphics card however I have yet to figure out how to run 3 monitors in osx. It caps out at 2. Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this?

So, now 10.9.2 is released! Did anyone explore the Hawaii support yet?

I just installed 10.9.2, so far, no luck with my sapphire 290 (reference). It doesn't seem to crap out like before (also conflicted with fakesmc gpu plugins...), but its still not recognized by system profiler, only has a default resolution of 1024x768, my intel HD 4600 works fine in conjunction...will take a look at the kexts...but not promising so far...

This post is more or less a duplicate of my post in the 10.9.2 thread, but as it's relevant for this discussion I thought I'd paste it here too.

I just installed 10.9.2 and tried a 290X (with the new Hawaii chipset) in my hackintosh, but unfortunately it still shows up as "Unknown". I tried adding the device id to AMD7000Controller.kext, but no change. There is a slight improvement though - before when I booted with the card installed (All monitors on a 280x, but the 290x in a pci slot) the computer would crash 10-20 seconds after landing on the desktop, with the console showing some QE/CI related graphics exceptions. I had to physically remove the card, or at least the power to it, to boot. After the 10.9.2 update it works fine to boot, but the GPU doesn't seem to be supported.

Hi guys..

Im preparing a new build.. Socket 1150 but Im not very sure about which motherboard ..

ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO or Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H or UD5H.

Also Im 100% sure Im going to buy R9 280X.. But... ASUS MATRIX?? It hasn't HDMI, only Display ports, and DVI.. Will display port work OOB??

And whats your recommendation for Motherboard? The ASUS one? or the other 2 gigabytes?

Thanks!

any word on the r7 260x being compatible? I can't get it to go past the "Unknown 3MB" in graphics. Please let me know. Thanks.

I'll be monitoring this thread because I'd love for my 290x to be supported.

Good news R9 290/290x owners! Amd announced the new Firepro W9100 series which is based on the Hawaii architecture! Its just couple of weeks and we will get support on our hackintoshes if Amd provide mac driver for them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back