Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5. Iit works with graphicsEnabler=off and Efi boot trick (EFI step by step guide here at tonymacs)
Running Battlefield 4 almost all setting maxed out. Also good prestanda in OSX, scores 85 in Cinebench 15.
Seems like this card is very similar to the new Mac Pro cards so hopefully it will come out modified kexts to make it work even faster. If we are lucky also some kind of SLI solution is around the corner.

Did you did a fresh complete new setup? I just added a r9 280x toxic sapphire to my system and have no performance increase in Lexmark or fcpx. I did the EFI setup. Well maybe I need a fresh install or did I miss anything else? Did you deactivate the internal hd4000 gpu? I sort of need it because of the thunderbolt on my z77up5 the to run the Thunderbolt Display.

I have now also the Sapphire Toxic 280x but I am running a thunderbolt display on the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, I did the EFI thing but actually it worked before showing me
AMD Radeon HD 7xxx:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000

anyhow something is wrong as the performance is not what it should be. luxmark is something between 978 and 1039...i think it should be much higher ...also the new fcpx 10.1 should be able to use the opencl an render much faster...but it does not...what can I do to get the full potential of the card activated?
Thanks!

New to the forum here, it's excellent. I wanted to chime in because I have been testing an Asus R9-270 on an actual 3,1 Mac Pro. I want to run two of them for FCP 10.1. I am having the same performance issues with the card. Luxmark of 361 while it scores 1428 on a PC. The performance issue is not just related to Hackintosh builds. Some believe it has to do with framebuffer code, although I have not found a solution yet. Anyone here have the answer?

Anyone have any luck getting 3 monitors working? I run a 270x and only two out of three monitors will work at a time. If I use the onboard HD 4000, the picture will get screwed up almost immediately. I read that using VGA works, but I only have digital outputs. Let me know if anyone knows of a fix, that'd be awesome. Thanks

anyhow something is wrong as the performance is not what it should be. luxmark is something between 978 and 1039...i think it should be much higher ...also the new fcpx 10.1 should be able to use the opencl an render much faster...but it does not...what can I do to get the full potential of the card activated?

I can't say what's wrong with your card, but just like redhatmac my 280x worked great out of the box. I get about 2300 score per card in luxmark under 10.9.1 (I have two of them, both gives the same score). That's for the standard test, maybe you switched to some other scene? My 280x are MSI brand, but there shouldn't really be any difference.

You can always have a look if there are any bios upgrades available for your card. Also check System Report -> Graphics and see what speed it says it's running at. About 1000 does sound very low.

- - - Updated - - -

The second developer preview of 10.9.2 was released today apparently - anyone have some insider info if there are driver updates included?

The second developer preview of 10.9.2 was released today apparently - anyone have some insider info if there are driver updates included?

This is under NDA no discussion please. :shh:

Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software.

You have to run as Mac Pro 5,1 to unleash the full potential of the card...

What does that have to do with graphics card performance?

What does that have to do with graphics card performance?

I changed my profile to 5,1 and it more than doubled the LuxMark score of my dual 280x's. Went from 2100 to 4500. Insane. Everything runs better too. It must have to do with how OS X deals with GPUs according to what model it thinks it is running on.

Just a theory, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I changed my profile to 5,1 and it more than doubled the LuxMark score of my dual 280x's. Went from 2100 to 4500. Insane. Everything runs better too. It must have to do with how OS X deals with GPUs according to what model it thinks it is running on.

Just a theory, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I also have dual 280x, and with my profile set to 3.1 I get 4600 luxmark score, so I'm not entirely sure that your theory is true :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back