Contribute
Register

Warning graphics incompatibility NVIDIA GTX960 Gaming G1! Windows 10, for now...

Is your system running with an NVIDIA GPU?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes but with problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the look of it neither Skylake nor your GPU is a issue here, I'm very confident that you wouldn't have any issues with a "traditional" display (<4K).
Higher resolutions may require the use of a proper SMBIOS (maybe not 3,1?) or installing the mentioned pixel clock patch to remove Apples bandwidth limitations.

The install is gone, it bricked on switchres I've wiped the disk. 4K and below may run ok, just not on this combination of components. The best I could get is 2560. As mentioned, I finally got a correct identifier on the GPU so theoretically it will work, just not at anything above 2560 s far as I can tell. Anyway, up to everyone for him or herself to decide, but why risk it if there are alternatives?

As for the patch. You make it sound easy, but there is no information on how to install what. I see 100+lines of code that should presumably all or partly go somewhere. Beyond me though. Wish I could have just made that work at 4K, but alas.

As for the patch. You make it sound easy, but there is no information on how to install what. I see 100+lines of code that should presumably all or partly go somewhere. Beyond me though. Wish I could have just made that work at 4K, but alas.

There's a simple 3-step "How to use" section on the GitHub page I linked to earlier. No magic involved, just download, "chmod" & run the script. :)

With a different SMBIOS (iMac17,1 + AGDP-Patch?) it should be possible to get 4K (and 5K) without any patches though. I can understand your frustration, but I'm confident that there's only little work left to achieve 100% functionality. Resolutions beyond 1440p often need some tweaking due to (partly artificial) limitations in Apples graphics subsystem, but since we've identified the initial issue this shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Hi Florian,

I've tried 17.1 in the past with various setting, tweaks and patches but got into either a black bootscreen or 1600 resolution (black with nvda_drv=1, low res without it or with nv_disable=1). It's not so much frustration, I like puzzling with stuff, but an economic reality which is starting to dictate reality. If I had half a hope that I could get 4K out of the system, I would not hesitate to try one more time, but quite frankly, I've "been there, done that". Perhaps the 17.1 would work with some technical patch, I just can't afford to spend hours working on the patch to find that it just boots to a black screen as it did before.

PS. Also tried Mac Pro 4.1 that just got me in a bootloop that killed the first install. Could boot into safe mode with -x but was unable to alter the config.plist in clover so I had to wipe and reinstall everything. 6.1 had the same results as 17.1.

Last edited:
iMac17,1 + black screens sounds like you'd need the AGDP patch.
MacPro4,1 / 5,1 can't boot without ECC RAM (at least I think so), so you'd usually avoid them.

Just a side note: It's a very good idea to install Clover on an USB drive and use this for booting and tinkering until everything is 100% up & running. This will make it easy to fix errors on a 2nd computer if you've locked yourself out.

iMac17,1 + black screens sounds like you'd need the AGDP patch.
MacPro4,1 / 5,1 can't boot without ECC RAM (at least I think so), so you'd usually avoid them.

Just a side note: It's a very good idea to install Clover on an USB drive and use this for booting and tinkering until everything is 100% up & running. This will make it easy to fix errors on a 2nd computer if you've locked yourself out.
Well, I've tried the "piker alpha" thing once, opening my file in text editor, pasting it in and saving it. It made no difference at all. In the end I deleted it as I would rather keep my files free from random inputs that serve not purpose. As far as I have researched there is no on the fly agdp patch in clover, any hard coding etc is well beyond me.

The usb clover drive sounds like a plan, I'll google to see how to make one if I decide to tinker with a hack again.

Well, I've tried the "piker alpha" thing once, opening my file in text editor, pasting it in and saving it. It made no difference at all. In the end I deleted it as I would rather keep my files free from random inputs that serve not purpose. As far as I have researched there is no on the fly agdp patch in clover, any hard coding etc is well beyond me.

The usb clover drive sounds like a plan, I'll google to see how to make one if I decide to tinker with a hack again.

You can clone your EFI partition to a USB stick and use that. I always keep an updated USB stick handy on an old 128MB USB stick because Windows updates sometimes mess up the windows boot manager on my EFI partition and it stops booting to Clover. I can use the USB stick to boot to Clover and then OS X to reinstall Clover on the EFI partition.

A note on the AGDPFIX, some have reported to need both the PikeRAlpha Clover patch and Silohh's patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back