Contribute
Register

Warning graphics incompatibility NVIDIA GTX960 Gaming G1! Windows 10, for now...

Is your system running with an NVIDIA GPU?

• Yes

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Yes but with problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, obviously something is wrong with your specific combination, but I've run out of ideas...

Can you verify if your system runs fine when you just use the Intel iGPU? Graphics acceleration, full resolution and everything...?
I still find it hard to believe that the graphics card is causing such an issue. There are literally thousands of people with Nvidia Maxwell GPUs in their Hacks and Macs, and not a single one seems to have the same problem.

Yes, obviously something is wrong with your specific combination, but I've run out of ideas...

Can you verify if your system runs fine when you just use the Intel iGPU? Graphics acceleration, full resolution and everything...?
I still find it hard to believe that the graphics card is causing such an issue. There are literally thousands of people with Nvidia Maxwell GPUs in their Hacks and Macs, and not a single one seems to have the same problem.

Will try, but have to get an adapter, the MB does not have display ports and my monitor requires them. Will need an hdmi-dp adapter so may take a few days to get one here.

Did just notice something... If I select inject nvidia in clover (just fooling around, trying everything I can select), the system boots past the fuzzy screen and resolves at 2560. It also recognises the gpu as gigabyte geforce gtx 960 0 MB. It has never recognised the card before... Now I'm totally lost...

Last edited:
Remove Inject Nvidia from your config.plist and use the Nvidia drivers. Test: you have have 3 display ports on your G1 960. Test booting from each individual port for a successful boot.

Remove Inject Nvidia from your config.plist and use the Nvidia drivers. Test: you have have 3 display ports on your G1 960. Test booting from each individual port for a successful boot.

Hello wild willow, I have always done all possible set ups without the inject nvidia, to no avail. The set-up never recognised the card as anything but a 7mb or 14mb display. Only when in a last attempt (and to minding ruining my settings), I added inject nvidia did it suddenly recognise the card. I had already tested all different display ports in both single and dual display cable configuration, also without success. The system either has he aforementioned problems or when on the wrong combination of ports, just goes to sleep mode. If you have any other suggestions about possible issues based on the uploaded images (see upload pie links in previous posts), I am very keen to try. However, I am quite sure there is a compatibility issue as there is literally no way to make it work. Over the past weeks, I've reinstalled osx 7 times to ensure clean plists (last clean install was yesterday afternoon), have ensured no nvidia (or intel) was injected, have tried modifying the plist with any change suggested by anyone and all the things I could think of myself, patched kexts, installed the webdrivers, both with and without additional cuda drivers just in case. I'm happy to try one final install with suggested settings, but all the days of work and tweaking I've got invested in this are starting to conflict with my work (and would have paid for a mac pro). It's more stubborn pride and the desire to keep running OSX that have kept me going at this than a rational decision. The nvidia injection yesterday was just a forlorn attempt at the seemingly impossible. As linux requires too much fiddling to get adobe, dxo and other software to run, I see no real other solution than going the windows way, perhaps until such time as the release of skylake macs which may sort compatibility issues. Alas, up for some final suggestions and I appreciate the help from all those who picked in so far, but it seems rather impossible. Cheers.

PS. If I just boot with the primary display port on my screen, I get the same results when connected with a single cable to port 0 on the card, any other port gives me display going to standby. However, I need the second cable for full 5K, but just using the second cable only gets display standby, adding it in one of the secondary ports on the card makes no difference. I'm using the latest released and recommended nvidia webdrivers (though the system shows osx default drivers, but if I switch them in the nvidia menu I am not prompted for reboot so it is probably a glitch with the system running the nvidia drivers all along).

Last edited:

Hmm, I did notice something I had not seen before, on a single cable in the main port I get a correct card identifying it as a gtx 960. On all other as described before. However, the one cable only drives the display at the reduced 2560x1440 resolution. It should be capable of 4K. That said, I need the second cable for 5K and results are as described before. If I add nv-disable=1 I get 1600 resolution and nvidia chip model 7 mb and if I do not add drv=1, I get 1600 resolution and the card identified as a 7 mb display.

So results as before, but maybe there is something in the fact that the card is properly identified on a single cable on the display 0 port of the gpu?

Last edited:
Whoops, that's the first time you mention that you're trying to use a 5K display!

Did you ever try to use the "nv_spanmodepolicy=1" boot flag? That's necessary for 5K dual cable mode.

Good morning Florian,

My bad, I thought I had it in the initial post, but it seems like you are right and I omitted it here. Must have been in another post I had earlier in my attempts to make this work. Either way, I had (and just have) tried the spanmode bootflag, but I get identical results. 2560 on 1 cable, fuzzy login as per the earlier picture on two cables. Anything else I could try?

Cheers.

With just one cable, you should be able to get 4K resolution. I'd try to fix that first, before moving on to full 5K.
If you can't enable 4K with "traditional" methods (option-click in system preferences or tools SwitchResX) I'd try to install the Pixel Clock Patch.

With just one cable, you should be able to get 4K resolution. I'd try to fix that first, before moving on to full 5K.
If you can't enable 4K with "traditional" methods (option-click in system preferences or tools SwitchResX) I'd try to install the Pixel Clock Patch.

Well, I'm going to run windows...

No standard settings to modify to 4K, had checked that before. Switchres just auto configured something that now returns an onscreen message it is not supported. I tried to revert by booting in safe mode, but there is no folder with display settings under system library that lets me remove whatever it did. It may work for some, but i strongly recommend AGAINST the use of switches. The whole install is now bricked courtesy to switchresx (well to be fair, ultimately, of course, myself). I can really no longer afford to dick around with this, have already lost another morning of working hours to only render the install stuffed again.

The patch is probably easy for more tech savvy users, but to me it looks complicated and unclear what I am supposed to patch and how.

Might try again once apple has more skylake systems on the market. In the meantime, I would suggest people skip the 960 4GB G1 card, as there are alternatives that are known to work. Idem for 5k, it just won't fly as of yet. Possibly not in the near future either as apple is set to release its own 5K display with an integrated GPU so they don't seem likely to support others. 5K works fine of dual display on a macbook pro though. My guess for 5K on a hack is waiting for apple to support thunderbolt 3 and run tb3-dp adapter cables or something of sorts.

Thanks for the help to all those who made suggestions.

Last edited:
By the look of it neither Skylake nor your GPU is a issue here, I'm very confident that you wouldn't have any issues with a "traditional" display (<4K).
Higher resolutions may require the use of a proper SMBIOS (maybe not 3,1?) or installing the mentioned pixel clock patch to remove Apples bandwidth limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back