4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since updating my Opencore install to the latest version of Monterey, and Ventura has been released, I've noticed my Software Update Preference doesn't give me the option to update to Ventura... stating:

"Your Mac is up to date - macOS Monterey 12.6.1."

Obviously my hardware does not meet Ventura requirements.

Will "Opencore Legacy Patcher" allow me to update to Ventura, or is "OCLP" only for updating actual older Macs with unsupported hardware? There are quite a few install instructions for unsupported hardware Ventura installs on YouTube, but none of them specify whether it's for a Hackintosh or an actual older Mac.

Anyone had any luck with a Ventura install on an older Hackintosh using "Opencore Legacy Patcher"? Ventura looks kinda' cool... wouldn't mind trying it.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Obviously my hardware does not meet Ventura requirements.
Not true. It's more likely that you are using a Skylake SMBIOS that is not supported by Ventura.
Anyone had any luck with a Ventura install on an older Hackintosh using "Opencore Legacy Patcher"? Ventura looks kinda' cool... wouldn't mind trying it.
Your hardware is Skylake based so you don't really need to use OCLP. It is intended for "real" Macs anyway.
Ventura looks kinda' cool... wouldn't mind trying it.
You can try it as you've got a supported RX 580. Just make sure to use a Kaby Lake SMBIOS instead of Skylake. That would be one of the 2017 iMacs. I would go with iMac18,2 myself. If you change it's best to generate and use new serials that match that year of iMac model. You can install it to a separate SSD from your Monterey drive and leave that install as is. Then it's much easier to go back to Monterey if need be.

Any of the following three Macs could work. iMac is probably the best for you. If you want to disable iGPU and run headless either iMac or iMac Pro SMBIOS will work.

macOS Ventura drops compatibility for Mac models from 2014 through 2016, and it is compatible with 2017 and later Macs.
  • iMac (2017 and later)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • Mac Pro (2019 and later)

Last edited:
Not true. It's more likely that you are using a Skylake SMBIOS that is not supported by Ventura.

Your hardware is Skylake based so you don't really need to use OCLP. It is intended for "real" Macs anyway.

You can try it as you've got a supported RX 580. Just make sure to use a Kaby Lake SMBIOS instead of Skylake. That would be one of the 2017 iMacs. I would go with iMac18,2 myself. If you change it's best to generate and use new serials that match that year of iMac model. You can install it to a separate SSD from your Monterey drive and leave that install as is. Then it's much easier to go back to Monterey if need be.

Any of the following three Macs could work. iMac is probably the best for you. If you want to disable iGPU and run headless either iMac or iMac Pro SMBIOS will work.

macOS Ventura drops compatibility for Mac models from 2014 through 2016, and it is compatible with 2017 and later Macs.
  • iMac (2017 and later)
  • iMac Pro (2017)
  • Mac Pro (2019 and later)
I am using Opencore but yes, I am indeed using a Skylake SMBIOS... my processor is [obviously] a Skylake proc. The indentifier I'm using is iMac17,1.

And thanks for the clarification on the OCLP.

Have you, or do you know of anyone who has installed Ventura on a Skylake-based or similar Hackintosh (unsupported)? I'm curious about the performance compared to that of Big Sur or Monterey on same/similar system.

When you say to install Ventura to a separate SSD you mean to do a complete, fresh Opencore install to a separate SSD, obviously. But please clarify "from your Monterey drive." I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding what you mean by that. I could quite possibly be overthinking your statement! :p

Thanks much for your reply... it's appreciated!

Last edited:
I am using Opencore but yes, I am indeed using a Skylake SMBIOS... my processor is [obviously] a Skylake proc. The indentifier I'm using is iMac17,1.

Have you, or do you know of anyone who has installed Ventura on a Skylake-based or similar Hackintosh (unsupported)? I'm curious about the performance compared to that of Big Sur or Monterey on same/similar system.

When you say to install Ventura to a separate SSD you mean to do a complete, fresh Opencore install to a separate SSD, obviously. But please clarify "from your Monterey drive." I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding what you mean by that. I could quite possibly be overthinking your statement! :p

Hi there.

The reason for the above advice is because macOS Ventura dropped support for Skylake CPUs.

So no, no-one is running a Skylake SMBIOS and macOS Ventura - not without "tricking" macOS with a CPU spoof.

The advice was to change the system-definition to a later KabyLake one, which will hopefully allow Ventura to run. There can still be hiccups though.

My laptop is a skylake, spoofed the smbios and ig-platorm to a Kabylake and all seems fine, have seen no issues

Hi there.

The reason for the above advice is because macOS Ventura dropped support for Skylake CPUs.

So no, no-one is running a Skylake SMBIOS and macOS Ventura - not without "tricking" macOS with a CPU spoof.

The advice was to change the system-definition to a later KabyLake one, which will hopefully allow Ventura to run. There can still be hiccups though.
I got it... Thanks!

My laptop is a skylake, spoofed the smbios and ig-platorm to a Kabylake and all seems fine, have seen no issues
Sounds like good news. But I think I will install a new SSD and do a fresh OpenCore Ventura install, just to be completely safe.

I went from Catalina to Big Sur and had HUGE problems when updating via Software Update. I eventually had to just wipe the drive and install Big Sur fresh. I don't want to go through that with my current VERY STABLE Monterey install. I have a new Samsung SSD I haven't used... so I'm good to go.

BTW... how's the Ventura performance on your Skylake laptop, compared to Monterey?

Sounds like good news. But I think I will install a new SSD and do a fresh OpenCore Ventura install, just to be completely safe.

I went from Catalina to Big Sur and had HUGE problems when updating via Software Update. I eventually had to just wipe the drive and install Big Sur fresh. I don't want to go through that with my current VERY STABLE Monterey install. I have a new Samsung SSD I haven't used... so I'm good to go.

BTW... how's the Ventura performance on your Skylake laptop, compared to Monterey?
I spoofed kabylake whilst still on Monterey and then updated via system preferences with no issues

performance seems fine

Back