Contribute
Register

Ventura on Older Monterey Hackintosh

some samsung nvme's can cause issues
Pretty much every one of them uses a proprietary controller with broken TRIM implementation. That's why they all should be avoided with Monterey/Ventura. Many other choices that work without any TRIM problems.

Last edited:
some samsung nvme's can cause issues, think @trs96 was looking out for you :)
Oh, no, no... I appreciate him "Looking out for me". I wasn't trying to sound rude or sarcastic, if I did. I was asking that because I wanted to know if he was insinuating a problem with one or the other.

So I have an older Gigabyte [Skylake-era] motherboard. It has provisions for two M.2 drives. Are all NVMe's problematic? Should I just use the Samsung SATA SSD for the install? I was actually considering purchasing a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD - 500gb for the install. Should I just steer clear and go with the SATA SSD I have, just to be safe?

Thanks

Pretty much every one of them uses a proprietary controller with broken TRIM implementation. That's why they all should be avoided with Monterey/Ventura. Many other choices that work without any TRIM problems.

Great to know ahead of time.

The link "hints" Samsung 870 EVO and 850 EVO drives may be alright... but more testing should be done.

Should I steer clear of ANY and ALL Samsung SSDs... including standard SATA drives?

For the record, all of my Hackintosh installs have been on Samsung SATA SSD's including Big Sur and Monterey... and without any noticeable incident. Not sure about the "speed" issues stated in that link.

Thanks

Last edited:
Oh, no, no... I appreciate him "Looking out for me". I wasn't trying to sound rude or sarcastic, if I did. I was asking that because I wanted to know if he was insinuating a problem with one or the other.

So I have an older Gigabyte [Skylake-era] motherboard. It has provisions for two M.2 drives. Are all NVMe's problematic? Should I just use the Samsung SATA SSD for the install? I was actually considering purchasing a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD - 500gb for the install. Should I just steer clear and go with the SATA SSD I have, just to be safe?

Thanks
no worries! :)

best you check over:

no worries! :)

best you check over:
Wasn't aware of that link. Man, thanks for saving me from the dreaded Samsung NVMe issue(s)! :p

Wasn't aware of that link. Man, thanks for saving me from the dreaded Samsung NVMe issue(s)! :p
I use a WD BLACK SN850 NVMe which is rather nice :)

Should I steer clear of ANY and ALL Samsung SSDs... including standard SATA drives?
Nope. The 2.5" Sata versions from Samsung haven't shown the TRIM bug. OK to use them.

I use a WD BLACK SN850 NVMe
Good choice. the very best right now is the newest WD_Black SN850X drive. 1 TB costs $123.50 at Amazon.
For a PCIe Gen 3 motherboard it is overkill. Those max out at speeds of 3,500 MB/s which is only half of what you'd get from a PCIe 4.0 NVMe slot on a mobo.

But who knows when you might upgrade to a Z690, a few years from now ?

A few pennies less if you get it from Amazon as the seller.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

The best budget NVMe for older PCIe 3.0 boards is the WD Blue SN570. Sells for just $69 for 1TB on Amazon.

Last edited:
I use a WD BLACK SN850 NVMe which is rather nice :)
A shame the Samsung NVMe drives have problems... they are MUCH cheaper than the WD Black drives.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Back