Contribute
Register

Ventura on Older Monterey Hackintosh

Nope. The 2.5" Sata versions from Samsung haven't shown the TRIM bug. OK to use them.
Well that's nice to know... I am using one for my Monterey install and, as I've already stated, I have had no problems that were noticeable to me with the SATA drives.

But maybe I'll go ahead and purchase a WD Black drive... and as an added bonus I understand I'll get a lot more speed from the NVMe.

Thanks

A shame the Samsung NVMe drives have problems... they are MUCH cheaper than the WD Black drives.
That's not usually the case. The 980 and 980 Pro NVMe drives are only cheaper now, in December, because Samsung steeply discounted their prices to move remaining stock. The 990s are ready. Take a look at the retail price of the 990 Pro on Amazon. It's about $45 more than the equivalent 1TB SN850X. For a macOS boot drive, the SN850X is the very best choice as of today.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

In July 2021 the 980 Pro 1TB sold for $230 see the next post for the chart.

Last edited:
The non-Pro 980 hasn't had such a steep price reduction this year but it's still a good deal for a slower PCIe 3.0 drive.

1670943978177.png

Last edited:
The very best deal on BF this year was the 1TB PCIe 4.0 WD SN770 for $79.99. Makes a great macOS boot drive. Plenty fast enough.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
The very best deal on BF this year was the 1TB PCIe 4.0 WD SN770 for $79.99. Makes a great macOS boot drive. Plenty fast enough.

View attachment 559833
Thanks for the price info... they didn't seem to be that cheap the last time I checked. Maybe I will go for an M.2!

they didn't seem to be that cheap the last time I checked.
I posted about the huge drop in prices coming this Fall '22. Back on Sept. 3rd.

Back