Contribute
Register

UtterDisbelief 17 - Z490i Aorus Ultra - i5-10600K - 32GB - GT710 & RX560

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there and welcome.

Did you change the serial-numbers and UUIDs when you setup the config.plist for your machine?

Did you test the alternative device-ID : 00009B3E ?

Did you check DVMT in BIOS ?

Any other changes to the EFI apart from the device-ID for iGPU?

Perhaps take a screen grab of the place where boot stops and upload it so we can take a look.

:)
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I changed the serial numbers and UUIDS from ones generated through GenSMBIOS. I used the iMac 19,1 profiles for generating the numbers. I replaced them in the Generic section of PlatformInfo.

I also used device ID 00009B3E as the Opencore guide suggests.

DVMT is set to 64M in BIOS.

Kernel - I have 67 for Target in the Debug section. I believe I let some OpenCore upgrade take place when I did a snapshot in ProperTree.

I have attached the txt file generated in the EFI folder.

Attachments

• opencore-2021-12-24-020129.txt
    256 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I changed the serial numbers and UUIDS from ones generated through GenSMBIOS. I used the iMac 19,1 profiles for generating the numbers. I replaced them in the Generic section of PlatformInfo.

I also used device ID 00009B3E as the Opencore guide suggests.

DVMT is set to 64M in BIOS.

Kernel - I have 67 for Target in the Debug section. I believe I let some OpenCore upgrade take place when I did a snapshot in ProperTree.

I have attached the txt file generated in the EFI folder.

Hi there.

Okay.

If you have changed the system-definition from iMac18,3 to iMac19,1 then the supplied USBPorts.kext will not work. Indeed it may cause a crash, or it might just disable USB. The configuration is system-definition specific.

The SMBIOS section is entered in the PlatformInfo section, not Generic.

If the above doesn't help, perhaps take a photo of the Verbose screen where it hangs or crashes, and attach it to a post. You can start in Verbose mode by either pressing CMD+V at the OpenCore boot menu, or add the "-v" command-line to the NVRAM section of config.plist.

UtterDisbelief's Z490 ITX Comet Lake Build

View attachment 522313 View attachment 522314
Dear UtterDisbelief

Newbie alert - your advice would be amazing!

We attempted to duplicate your formula - the same motherboard, and the following differences - iGPU only, plus Big Sur 11.6. If it's relevant, we're also using a Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD, I7-10700, and 64GB of RAM.

Do you have a moment to please advise how to tweak your EFI, or perhaps your Monterey EFI is a better bet in this case?

Thanks a million in advance!

Claudine

Any chance you have headphones and microphone working with the front audio jack? I'm thinking it's maybe just not possible with my mobo.

I'm able to get headhpones+microphone working with a splitter going into the backplane audio jacks, so it's not a huge problem, but it would be really nice to that from the front jack, too. Especially considering (a) it works in Windows and (b) MacOS recognizes the jack and reacts when I press the button on the earpods wire, but doesn't pick up any sound from the mic.

Any chance you have headphones and microphone working with the front audio jack? I'm thinking it's maybe just not possible with my mobo.

I'm able to get headhpones+microphone working with a splitter going into the backplane audio jacks, so it's not a huge problem, but it would be really nice to that from the front jack, too. Especially considering (a) it works in Windows and (b) MacOS recognizes the jack and reacts when I press the button on the earpods wire, but doesn't pick up any sound from the mic.

Hi there.

For audio-out I had no problem with this case. Are you using the same one, or just the same motherboard?

Front Panel Audio Out

It should only depend on two things -

1) The pin-connector for your case's Front Panel Audio cable. Compare it with the Gigabyte manual.

2) The Layout-ID you use for the AppleALC.kext.

Front Panel Microphone

Sorry, but I haven't tested a combo headphone+mic, nor a TS/TRS mic on it's own (only a USB one).

I will revisit this problem for completeness sake shortly and update the build.:thumbup:

Same motherboard and case, yep. I did tweak the board a bit by ripping out the Intel WiFi and replacing it with a Broadcom card that slots into the M.2 on the back, but other than that, same machine.

I'm pretty confident I've got it all wired up properly since it works OK in Windows. But I'm definitely not too confident in the layout-id I've set for AppleALC (alcid=3 in boot-args). I remember fiddling around with different options trying to find one that works, and I think I settled on the one I'm using just because it gave the best results. Not sure what I decided was "best" -- probably more working IO, but who knows -- but I'm not too bothered by the headphone/mic combo working. It's annoying for sure, but the fact that any of this works at all is pretty impressive.

Thanks for getting back to me!! I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread :)

hi, UtterDisbelief thank you for this great post.
I success to boot Monterey 12.1 with enable AX210 and my BCM943602CS(M.2 Socket).
I have some problem (AirDrop one way) because WiFi conflict both cards and so I try delete/disable AirportItlwn from my OC config but get KP in BIOS.
is there any solution (without physically take card out) to unload kext for the CNVI card?
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, UtterDisbelief thank you for this great post.
I success to boot Monterey 12.1 with enable AX210 and my BCM943602CS(M.2 Socket).
I have some problem (AirDrop one way) because WiFi conflict both cards and so I try delete/disable AirportItlwn from my OC config but get KP in BIOS.
is there any solution (without physically take card out) to unload kext for the CNVI card?
thank you

Yes, just disable the Intel wireless kext via config.plist - itlwm.kext etc. - this should not cause a kernel panic because it is not being loaded. Something else might be at play here.

If the problem persists though, you can disable the Intel wireless in BIOS.

@UtterDisbelief,
Thanks for the mention about my Z490 build with High Sierra earlier. This is a really nice board (and build) you have,
which I think is great for compact builds like such as for NAS and home cinema use. My Z490 Aorus Xtreme unfortunately is a rather bulky build compared to the Z68 system I previously had (as it is E-ATX size). Sometimes I wish it was just a little smaller.

About the CPU Unknown issue under High Sierra, I believe that should be easily solvable. As High Sierra only recognises up to Coffee Lake, if the CPUID is set to Coffee Lake value like EA060900 plus a Coffee Lake IGPU AAPL,platform-id and device-id (07003E98 & 3E980000), then technically it should work. It's only when you haven't put a value in for CPUID that it causes problems with the Unknown value showing. Luckily the ProvideCurrentCPUInfo quirk now resolves this issue under Monterey.

Aside from that I do want to mention I did strangely manage to get the Aquantia 10GBe AQC-107 port working with my High Sierra 10.13.6 EFI eventually despite the I-255V not being detected.

@UtterDisbelief,
Thanks for the mention about my Z490 build with High Sierra earlier. This is a really nice board (and build) you have,
which I think is great for compact builds like such as for NAS and home cinema use. My Z490 Aorus Xtreme unfortunately is a rather bulky build compared to the Z68 system I previously had (as it is E-ATX size). Sometimes I wish it was just a little smaller.

About the CPU Unknown issue under High Sierra, I believe that should be easily solvable. As High Sierra only recognises up to Coffee Lake, if the CPUID is set to Coffee Lake value like EA060900 plus a Coffee Lake IGPU AAPL,platform-id and device-id (07003E98 & 3E980000), then technically it should work. It's only when you haven't put a value in for CPUID that it causes problems with the Unknown value showing. Luckily the ProvideCurrentCPUInfo quirk now resolves this issue under Monterey.

Aside from that I do want to mention I did strangely manage to get the Aquantia 10GBe AQC-107 port working with my High Sierra 10.13.6 EFI eventually despite the I-255V not being detected.

My pleasure. :thumbup:

Yes, I have come to like the ITX form factor over others. Although my previous build was MATX and I was glad to have more room inside the case, I decided the only reason I would stick with the larger one now was if it had external 5.25" drive bays for an optical drive. Yes, I'm old-fashioned! :D

Since this build was finished I've learned, as you mention, how to get the CPU correctly identified. There actually is a Cpuid1Data spoofing value in the config.plist for this build, but the extra step of changing the ProcessorType in PlatformInfo from "1541" to "0" helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back