Contribute
Register

USB issue and sudden reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the motherboard in your profile, you only have 14-ports in total, so don't worry about the 15-limit, but explore the power-delivery instead. That is likely why your external USB drives are not recognised, or it might be because the port is USB2-only and you plug in a USB3, and vice versa.

Recommend you use Hackintool to check each port and make sure its is set to the correct UsbConnector type. This will ensure each port is fully active. When you export the configuration files you will also get a power-delivery SSDT to use along with either the USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml.

:)
ok, I started doing my homework ...
according to your instructions, I disconnected all the peripherals from the USB ports except keyboard and mouse: I cleaned the screen and refreshed. The first thing that seemed strange to me is the presence of a port used by the "IOUSBHostDevice" device: I don't know what it is but the name makes me think that it is something connected to a Kext, therefore a data corruption: it could be like this? Should I go ahead or change something in the config.plist already? Another question: since no USB port reads my USB 3.0 flash drives, how can I test using the two USB systems? I attack the screenshot after the refresh. Tanks, really, so much

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-01-07 alle 00.38.06.png
    Schermata 2021-01-07 alle 00.38.06.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 37
The first thing that seemed strange to me is the presence of a port used by the "IOUSBHostDevice" device: I don't know what it is but the name makes me think that it is something connected to a Kext, therefore a data corruption: it could be like this?

No, this is not data corruption but perfectly normal. However the way to find out what that is doing is to interrogate using the IORegistryExplorer app. We'll leave that for just now.

Okay, Hackintool shows me that you have only the USB2 ports activated. Despite the fact you say you have USB3-only ports on your motherboard, each USB3 port can also operate as a USB2 port. So in effect is two ports in one.

Hackintool shows that either you have USBInjectAll.kext installed without a port-limit removal patch, or that USBInjectAll is not installed at all. You will need it initially.

All your presently available ports are HS**, or USB2, and will not recognise a USB3 device. Keyboards, mice and Phones tend to be USB2 only which is why they are recognised. We need the USB3 part of each port - SS** - available too for that.

As there is no new port-limit removal patch for Big Sur we use the XhciPortLimit Quirk instead from within OpenCore. You can still create a USB port configuration without this but the process will involve working blind.

Though you have marked all your USB2 ports as USB3 connector-types, some will be on internal headers. I see from the Asus support site that there are indeed 2x USB2 ports on an internal header.

So install USBInjectAll.kext. Set the OC Quirk XhciPortLimit, reboot and check the Hackintool output again.

No, this is not data corruption but perfectly normal. However the way to find out what that is doing is to interrogate using the IORegistryExplorer app. We'll leave that for just now.

Okay, Hackintool shows me that you have only the USB2 ports activated. Despite the fact you say you have USB3-only ports on your motherboard, each USB3 port can also operate as a USB2 port. So in effect is two ports in one.

Hackintool shows that either you have USBInjectAll.kext installed without a port-limit removal patch, or that USBInjectAll is not installed at all. You will need it initially.

All your presently available ports are HS**, or USB2, and will not recognise a USB3 device. Keyboards, mice and Phones tend to be USB2 only which is why they are recognised. We need the USB3 part of each port - SS** - available too for that.

As there is no new port-limit removal patch for Big Sur we use the XhciPortLimit Quirk instead from within OpenCore. You can still create a USB port configuration without this but the process will involve working blind.

Though you have marked all your USB2 ports as USB3 connector-types, some will be on internal headers. I see from the Asus support site that there are indeed 2x USB2 ports on an internal header.

So install USBInjectAll.kext. Set the OC Quirk XhciPortLimit, reboot and check the Hackintool output again.
Great! Now all is ok! All USB ports are functional, both with USB 3 flash drives and with USB2 ones. After activating the XhciPortLimit, everything is back to working. I have, however, finished mapping the ports and generated the USBPorts.kext but, considering that my motherbord has only 15 USB ports, adding both internal and external ones, I don't have to do anything else and I can leave all the ports active. Thank you so much for your support, it truly is the best forum! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back