Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
RehabMan said:
lolorm said:
So, after read during 3 days the all post, just to say: I want to upgrade my 4530s, but I think mine is the new model: it's a 500gb hdd and i3 2330M 2'2ghz. So, it's the new, I think.
Can I upgrade to 1080p with B156HW01 V.4 + 646274-001 or 646273-001???
Of course, which is the dsdt that I need? I'm confused if I can use the probook installer v4 version or use one of the dsdts in the long post. Also, my actual dsdt has the fan issue fixed and I'd like to keep it.
I'm on F09 bios version. My exactly model: LW854EA
Anyone can say me what should I do? Keep my money in my pocket or try it?
Thanks!!
The v4 ProBook Installer has all the 1080p DSDTs (for each BIOS up to F.20) and they all have the fan fix in them.

I'm considering putting the 1600x900 in mine, but have yet to read this monster thread to figure out if that is possible and what exactly I need to do it. I've thought about the 1080p, but I'm almost certain my 48 year old eyes will not be able to read text that small.

Sure? I used the v4 installer DSDT and SSDT and there wasn't fan fixes. I had to do that myself.
For me, the 1080p is the choice. I don't consider 900p, the diference between 900p and original screen is minimal, so I must go for 1080p.
Then, anyone can tell me if I can use the B156HW01 V.4 + 646274 or 646273?

lolorm said:
Sure? I used the v4 installer DSDT and SSDT and there wasn't fan fixes. I had to do that myself.
For me, the 1080p is the choice. I don't consider 900p, the diference between 900p and original screen is minimal, so I must go for 1080p.

You can look at my guide HERE for additional info about changing screen. I would try the 646274-001 cable, since this one worked for every 4530s except one specific model. Look at the list and make yourself a picture.

RehabMan said:
I'm considering putting the 1600x900 in mine, but have yet to read this monster thread to figure out if that is possible and what exactly I need to do it. I've thought about the 1080p, but I'm almost certain my 48 year old eyes will not be able to read text that small.

I would reconsider your choice ;)
The 1080p resolution isn´t going to make the text that small you would think. It stays very readable and looks very sharp. I think it is healtier for your eyes too because

If you compare the PPI oft the screens:
Orignal: 1366*768 @ 15.6" ~ 100ppi (looks like sh.t because of the worse quality of the screen)
Screen 900p: 1600*900 @ 15.6" ~ 118ppi (will look better)
Screen 1080p: 1920*1080 @ 15.6" ~ 141ppi (awesome)

I had to fight with myself about this difficult decision a long time. Finally I took the AUO v4 and I really have to say that it was the right desicion. This screen looks just awesome and has the best picture quality I´ve ever seen on any laptop/netbook. It even outperforms most of the desktop screens I´ve seen.

I would really suggest the 1080p AUO v4. I guarantee you will just sit in front of the screen with open mouth and say "Wow" when you got it first time working.

lolorm said:
Re Fan fix: I haven't tested (I don't have a 1080p display) whether the 1080p DSDTs have the FAN00000 object in there, but certainly I made the changes and built all of them for tegezee to put into the installer. Supposedly, he did.

Good point about 768p vs. 900p. Not that much difference, but each step is a step... I just can't get over the fact that I use 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2410) and to squeeze that down into a 15" screen just seems a little much. I also owned an HP 15" notebook (dv5t) with a 1680x1050 display and the text was borderline too small. Anybody else want to weigh in on this?? I'm curious if you've had to run at a lower resolution after putting the display in and then scale up just to see...

RehabMan said:
Anybody else want to weigh in on this?? I'm curious if you've had to run at a lower resolution after putting the display in and then scale up just to see...
It depends how old are you. If you are below 40 the 1080p will be ok.
If you are above 40 you should think the possibility of putting the 900p.
I am 40 now and I have the 1080p at my 4530 and I can say that I am in the limit.
The menu bar looks a little bit small but everything else you can zoom in so no problem and is easier if you are using the full screen mode at Lion.
I do not know if I will need glasses in a couple of years in order to read small letters, but I do not know if I will using this machine that time.
So the choose is yours.

Keep on mind the pictures are look better at 1080p than at 900p.

RehabMan said:
Good point about 768p vs. 900p. Not that much difference, but each step is a step... I just can't get over the fact that I use 1920x1200 on a 24" monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2410) and to squeeze that down into a 15" screen just seems a little much. I also owned an HP 15" notebook (dv5t) with a 1680x1050 display and the text was borderline too small. Anybody else want to weigh in on this?? I'm curious if you've had to run at a lower resolution after putting the display in and then scale up just to see...

I´ve uploaded a photo for you, so you can see the size of the letters in relation to the screensize.

g44r89x1h19j.png

Another one with success here, upgrading to the v4 1080 screen with the 624 cable. I posted the experience on the guide post.

You should send a PM to LSB2011, and ask him your questions about the replacements as he works for Laptopscreen.com. I've purchased 4 screens from that place now, and everyone has looked WORLDS better than the stock HP screen. However YMMV.

This may be a silly question, as I imagine you've tried everything, however... you haven't documented anything that I can tell. So I'm having to retrace your steps piece wise.

So... Did you try any 15" 4530s screens and cables with the 4430s.
I've been doing laptop screen replacements for a long time. The funny thing is that even a single REV. a vs b can make a difference. There's SO much that goes into these. When I've upgraded client screens, I look at the next size up model, and try the pairs of cables and screens from them. If it works, then I look up screens on ebay by specifications, and NOT by fit.

Could you try both of your 15" screens and cables in your 14" laptop and report back?

20130510_164219_zps2f1214cb.jpg

Well worth it, looks way better than any non-rMbp.

Hi, I recently upgraded my screen to the AOC 1080p screen, looks amazing, very happy.
I am having one problem which I can't seem to find an answer to though.
My browser of choice in Google Chrome which does not seem to display images correctly, colour seems wrong. Grass is blue, sky is pink, etc. If I open the same we page up in Safari, the images display with he correct colour. I have googled this problem but can't find a resolution. Anyone have any ideas please?

Kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back