Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation worked just fine. But after multibeast and i restart i keep getting this panic! I have the same motherboard as well. Followed exactly all the steps you have mentioned as well.

Intel Core i7-4790k
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC ATX LGA1150
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
StarTech.com 3 Port 2b 1a 1394 PCI Express FireWire Card Adapter PEX1394B3

WIN_20141013_231439.JPG

FIXED- thanks to redytedy's post above! i turned off turbo and i was able to get past the panic screen

Hey Guys, and wildwillow if you are monitoring..

I have 90% of my build working fine with the i7-4790 CPU. But I am struggling with imessage. I have read the posts in this thread about fixing imessage and tried those. Then I read the main imessage fix thread. In my case, and I assume some or all have this issue too with the OC motherboard, It seems I have the SID bug. But the imessage fix thread tells how to fix that and I can usually get that parameter stable. But the second thing they say to watch out for are the ROM and MLB values showing in the imessage debug. On my test installs, either my ROM and MLB values change with each reboot, or revert back to initial values when I try to inject my own following the imessage fix thread. Just wondering if anybody had that issue. Because these are some of the main parameters to get imessage to work. They are basically your serial number and your mac address. I started at Mavericks with my build only 2 weeks ago. I would really love to get this imessage working. Not so much the facetime. Outside of that I have a perfect build.

Hey Guys, and wildwillow if you are monitoring..

I have 90% of my build working fine with the i7-4790 CPU. But I am struggling with imessage. I have read the posts in this thread about fixing imessage and tried those. Then I read the main imessage fix thread. In my case, and I assume some or all have this issue too with the OC motherboard, It seems I have the SID bug. But the imessage fix thread tells how to fix that and I can usually get that parameter stable. But the second thing they say to watch out for are the ROM and MLB values showing in the imessage debug. On my test installs, either my ROM and MLB values change with each reboot, or revert back to initial values when I try to inject my own following the imessage fix thread. Just wondering if anybody had that issue. Because these are some of the main parameters to get imessage to work. They are basically your serial number and your mac address. I started at Mavericks with my build only 2 weeks ago. I would really love to get this imessage working. Not so much the facetime. Outside of that I have a perfect build.

Hi thedon,

Giving that all the information I have gathered about the iMessage fix has come from the Sticky in the General Help Forum I can't offer you anymore information that is put into great detail by jaymonkey in that particular thread. You have read this thread for getting iMessage to work, it used to work but as from September Apple changed the way they check these values on our systems. As said by the Guide, a unique Serial Number is required, along with persistent MLB and ROM values collected by iMessage debug. Key thing from what I have read is disconnect your system from the internet until this happens. Personally if you have issues then I would suggest posting on the Sticky for more help than I can offer you. Especially a good idea keeping all the info in one place. I wish I could offer more on this subject. Alternatively installing Clover solves traditional bootloader NVRAM issues related to iMessage. Getting iMessage to work also gets FaceTime to work.

Hi thedon,

Giving that all the information I have gathered about the iMessage fix has come from the Sticky in the General Help Forum I can't offer you anymore information that is put into great detail by jaymonkey in that particular thread. You have read this thread for getting iMessage to work, it used to work but as from September Apple changed the way they check these values on our systems. As said by the Guide, a unique Serial Number is required, along with persistent MLB and ROM values collected by iMessage debug. Key thing from what I have read is disconnect your system from the internet until this happens. Personally if you have issues then I would suggest posting on the Sticky for more help than I can offer you. Especially a good idea keeping all the info in one place. I wish I could offer more on this subject. Alternatively installing Clover solves traditional bootloader NVRAM issues related to iMessage. Getting iMessage to work also gets FaceTime to work.

I switched to clover and was able to log into iMessage for 30 seconds. It showed all my IDs and phone number to my iPhone. Then I got the message to call support with the code after I couldn't send any messages. But at least Im on clover with stable ROM, MLB. And my system still runs smooth with audio, sleep, and a good geek bench score. Ill see if I can get windows 8 installed on another drive now. And Ill give apple my first call tomorrow.

I switched to clover and was able to log into iMessage for 30 seconds. It showed all my IDs and phone number to my iPhone. Then I got the message to call support with the code after I couldn't send any messages. But at least Im on clover with stable ROM, MLB. And my system still runs smooth with audio, sleep, and a good geek bench score. Ill see if I can get windows 8 installed on another drive now. And Ill give apple my first call tomorrow.

Glad you got your variables persistent and most importantly your system running smooth as it was with Chimera using an alternate bootloader. Good luck with the call and iMessage.

This thread is about the Z87X-OC and not the Z87N-Wifi, although the freezes are apparent over the GA boards you have provided no evidence that it is the discrete drivers causing the issues. I'm using the native OS X drivers and I am not seeing any freezes. I spend much more time reading than I do posting and from what I have read it is still a memory problem. On the GA forums it is claimed that users want to use 4 sticks of ram and for Gigabyte to provide this for them. I have been successful with using 4 sticks of ram in default profile using the iMac 14,2 system definition. BIOS updates have provided much more stability documented in many posts and users are still testing Beta's resulting in greater stability. Logs don't provide any information with the freezing issue when it was happening to myself before the new year within OS X.

OMG, I've has so many freezes lately I thought my hackintosh was about ready for the recycle bin.
My first build with 2 x 8GB sticks set on XMP 1 seemed reasonably stable, even with a 4.2Ghz overclock on the CPU. Build was ...
GA-z87x-oc
i7-4770k
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) (CML16GX3M2A1600C10) - set XMP 1
video = GTX770oc (igfx disabled)
sandisk 120gb SSD
previously Mac OS 10.9.3
system def: iMac 14,2

Then I made the leap (bad move to do it all at once) of upgrading to a 512gb SSD, adding two more memory sticks (4x8gb each - all the same ones listed above), updating the bios to F9c, and updating to OSX 10.9.5. Long story short, I got "hardware failures" in AIDA64, and my Mac repeatedly froze especially when playing youtube. I reseated the RAM modules, no help. Downgrading to bios F8, did not help. Loading optimized defaults and turning off the over clock did not help. Reinstalling OS X and reloading multibeast didn't help. Bottom line, now if I enable XMP profile with 4 sticks or even just 2 sticks in, sooner or later it freezes. If I keep it at default of 1333, then it seems more stable even with all 4 RAM sticks in. What's up with that?
M

UPDATE: well, it still froze again even with 1333 default on the DRAM. So, I did what
oScarCRO described: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110874-i7-4770k-z87x-u5dh-build-freezing-5.html
I raised DRAM volts to 1.6 and manually set DRAM to 1600 with timings 10-10-10-27. So far, no freezing in either win 8 or mac 10.9.5. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
WildWillow, please let us know when you upgrade to OSX Yosemite.

Thanks in advance!

WildWillow, please let us know when you upgrade to OSX Yosemite.

Thanks in advance!

Hi RedyTedy.

I sure will. Due to work I have only been able to download the Yosemite Install.App from the Mac App Store. Hopefully over the weekend I will try and get a couple of updates for you. One for a fresh install and one for updating from Mountain Lion/Mavericks to Yosemite as I know a lot of users would like to keep their Data/Apps etc. In the meantime I would suggest that you take some time to do a back of all your software etc. I'm sure that tonymacx86 will be putting guides together also. So stay tuned. If you beat me to the update feel free to share your experience.

Just updated and I am having a few minor issues. The first issue is that when I turn the computer on, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive for about 5 minutes, then become responsive. The second issue is that the mac does not recognize my usb headset anymore. The speakers work, but the headphone doesn't show up.

The first issue, which I believe is caused by the audio fix, is not a biggie. However, I really do need usb sound from my headset, so a fix for that would be great. I believe all the issues I've experienced relate to the ALC892 audio patch (just for reference I did not do the intel AppleHDA kext you did, I just selected ALC892).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back