Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS Ventura

Still working well for you?
Yes. System and apps work as expected.

The only limitation so far is if you need VirtualBox.
Version 6 no longer works with Ventura and version 7 is very slow for me.

For those still using Clover: Using Clover for macOS Ventura is not a good idea if you are using an SMBIOS of a T2 Mac! Why? Becasue the "HWTarget" setting is broken, so you won't get any System Updates! You could change SMBIOs to a non-T2 model. Or: if you were thinking about switching to OpenCore before, now is the perfect time to do so.

SOURCE: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/574

Last edited by a moderator:
For those still using Clover: Using Clover for macOS Ventura is not a good idea if you are using an SMBIOS of a T2 Mac! Why? Becasue the "HWTarget" setting is broken, so you won't get any System Updates! You could change SMBIOs to a non-T2 model.
As I just noticed I have to confirm that unfortunately.
But thanks to your tip, I switched the SMBIOS model to iMac18.3 - and now the systemupdate is working again!
Or: if you were thinking about switching to OpenCore before, now is the perfect time to do so.
When I think back how many time I've spent over the past years, keeping the system running after major updates with Clover, I don't want to go through this learning phase again with a new tool. ;-)
A few more years, then Apple will no longer release Intel versions and then Hackintosh will unfortunately be over anyway. :(

BTW: I see you have found a fix to make HWTarget work! Too late for me now, but good for others! ;-)

@andomar This is not a fix – It doesn't make HWTarget work. It's a workaround which makes use of macOS'es virtualization capabilities. it's actually better than switching SMBIOSes. Especially if you are using unsupported CPUs. Because then you can run Big Sur and newer with the correct SMBIOS for your CPU, like iMac14,2 for Haswell for example. But you need to add -no_compat_check boot-arg as well in this case in order to boot with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a dumb!!!! :mad:
I tried to upgrade from Catalina to Ventura. All bricked! None USB doenst work and black screen after some seconds on logon screen
Core i5 10400 + ASUS Z490m + RX580 + OC 0.90 (with updated drivers & kexts)
I will install from scratch

It looks like I'm only missing one of them,
Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 8.53.52 AM.png

Ok, downloaded the Patches Plist, I know what to edit in it since I have a 6 core ryzen, but don't know what to do with it it when I get it edited, yes I'm a noob

Established users of macOS Monterey who wish to update directly to macOS Ventura can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation and allows you to keep all of your files and settings.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working macOS Monterey installation.

Guide: Update Directly to macOS Ventura

1. Update your existing bootloader. Bootloader update to latest OpenCore (0.8.4+) or Clover (r5148+) release- this is required for installation. For the purposes of this guide, we will reference Clover locations.​
2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy VirtualSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. Updated AppleALC, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen may be required. If you need kexts, download them here. If you need precompiled SSDTs, download them here.​
3. Download Install macOS Ventura Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.​
4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.​
5. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.​
6. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.​
7. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.​

Let us know how this guide works for you! Please post all help requests in Ventura Desktop Support and Ventura Laptop Support forum sections. Thanks and good luck!

Related:

Please post your question(s) as a standalone thread in the Ventura Desktop Support forum section. Violators will have their post removed.
I created a test boot stick, copied my current OC folder from my current EFI bootable drive to the test boot stick EFI partition, updated all the kext and the drivers. I boot up and after choosing Big Sur from the list it does to the OSX Boot screen and just sits there. I only updated OpenCore.efi, OpenRuntime.efi and the kexts listed that I have.

Any thoughts on why it would sit there at the OSX Boot screen like that?

If
Hello,
When creating a new ( updated ) EFI folder, you can not just copy "parts" from the old configuration ( you copied OC, what about BOOT folder ?).

For now, on your stick, it is better to keep your existing/working EFI folder and replace / update only the existing kexts with new versions.
After testing, you may think about creating an up-to-date EFI folder. Updating config.plist may not be trivial (new OC versions may add/remove items and the new configuration must be ocvalidated).

Anyway, do not alter the storage ! Do edit the configuration only on your stick for now.

Cheers.

Let me say this again. I meant to say I copied my OLD EFI folder from my current boot drive to a jump drive. I then updated ONLY the needed drivers and .efi file that needs to be updated.

It works fine, I guess I may have chosen the wrong boot drive at boot because it works fine now. Right now I am making a clone back up my current installation and afterwards will upgrade to Ventura. I will post what happens after installation.

Back