Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
506861-35d3577bc550978a6a7561cc42f1bf55.png
Established users of macOS Monterey who wish to update directly to macOS Ventura can do so just like a regular Mac would. This fully native method requires no USB creation or preparation and allows you to keep all of your files and settings.

Before you begin, we strongly recommend performing a full backup of your existing system using Carbon Copy Cloner. By doing this, you can always go back to your working macOS Monterey installation.

Guide: Update Directly to macOS Ventura

1. Update your existing bootloader. Bootloader update to latest OpenCore (0.8.4+) or Clover (r5148+) release- this is required for installation. For the purposes of this guide, we will reference Clover locations.​
2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy VirtualSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. Updated AppleALC, Lilu, VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen may be required. If you need kexts, download them here. If you need precompiled SSDTs, download them here.​
3. Download Install macOS Ventura Application from the Mac App Store. When complete, the app will open. Please note, the Application will disappear after use.​
4. Choose system drive for install (Example: Macintosh HD). When complete, the computer will automatically reboot.​
5. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS Install option (Example: Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD). Choosing your system drive will go back to your previous installation without updating.​
6. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.​
7. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.​

Let us know how this guide works for you! Please post all help requests in Ventura Desktop Support and Ventura Laptop Support forum sections. Thanks and good luck!

Related:

Please post your question(s) as a standalone thread in the Ventura Desktop Support forum section. Violators will have their post removed.

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
The update itself was successful for me.But the Wi-Fi refuses to work correctly.Although everything was fine on Monterey.The latest alpha kext airportitwm brake.And 2.1.0 generally causes a system reboot

Motherboard
Dell Latitude 5490
CPU
i5-8350
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was holding off, but made the jump successfully on the dell latitude 5490. OC 0.8.6, most recent kexts. Curiously, using software update, I updated directly from 12.6.1 with (almost) no issues. It downloaded a 3+ Gb updater, went through a soft reboot and two hard reboots. Apparently crashed on the last one, but restarted functionally.
I had previously tried to manually download the 12 Gb full installer, and that refused to run, with an error saying a firmware update was required to use the APFS boot drive, and that I should install onto a HFS+ drive (I did not).
All seems good.

Still crashes on wake from sleep, as in the past. I just prevent sleep.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Lenovo Thinkpad T480s
CPU
i7-8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated everything to the latest state and I had no problems upgrading from Monterey or with the initial installation.
It seems to take a while to reconnect to Wi-Fi, but there seems to be fine recovering from sleep mode.
2022-11-14.jpeg

Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 Gaming E
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The update itself was successful for me.But the Wi-Fi refuses to work correctly.Although everything was fine on Monterey.The latest alpha kext airportitwm brake.And 2.1.0 generally causes a system reboot
Same issue at me with the last airport kext!

Motherboard
Asus TUF Z690 Plus D4
CPU
i9-12900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT (spoofed)
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
yes same here 2.2.0 airportitlwm slow to connect

Motherboard
Asus Prime 490-P
CPU
i9-10850
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just updated to latest Monterey 12.6.1. Not sure of benefits of upgrading to Ventura, since my current installation is working fine.

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Aero G
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just updated to latest Monterey 12.6.1. Not sure of benefits of upgrading to Ventura, since my current installation is working fine.
Good philosphy. I usually wait until the x.y.3 version of the latest macOS comes out in order for Apple to clean up the new macOS of all/most of the errors and no working correctly apps.

I have a test disk running Ventura, and I'm impressed with it's operation. However, I would recommend you start reading about Ventura because a lot of the macOS apps have changed and/or consolidated. It's almost all new.

Here's a good read: