Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

After waiting a while I finally decided to upgrade my Sierra to High Sierra as per this post.
I updated clover.
I copied the FakeSMC to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/
I also placed an appleOntelE1000e.kext and the RealtekRTL8111.kext there.

When I launch the installer Clover turns up and I select the "Boot macOS Install" option.
on three quarters of the black and white progress bar a spinning cursor appears and does not go away anymore.

When launch in verbose mode I have three distinct steps:
- the long list, with the last visible statement being:
Unsupported CPU for reporter

- then briefly it goes to a temporary log and the last statement says:
Starting optimistic DAD:immediately...
DAD complete for..

- then a final clear log witht the last statement saying:
com.apple.WindowsServer.560 (Warning) Service excited with abnormal code: 1
(com.apple.WindowsServer) <Notice>: Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing response out..

All these pages snapped and attached. Sorry for the flash and the poor framing.

When I research these things I get contradictory results, and it seems the most pertinent ones relate to the NVidia / Geforce.
However those resources are in the laptop section of the forum...

I have tried switch the order of the graphics cards in the bios, but that has no clear effect.

Who can direct me to a solution or help me out?

***EDIT ***
These threads helped me a little further:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-high-sierra-10-13-2-378-10-10-10-25.239852/

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-high-sierra-black-screen-panics.234390/

However: I got up to installing the second upgrade and the web-drivers without having the card installed.
But once I put the card back in it's slot it crashes on IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState

Next step for me to try out is to enable SIP to see if that helps. Pretty bummed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_202150.jpg
    IMG_20180121_202150.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20180121_202148.jpg
    IMG_20180121_202148.jpg
    584.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20180121_202201.jpg
    IMG_20180121_202201.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Using GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD3H, I did the in place upgrade. Upon system start, I had to remove my NVIDIA card, booted on Intel graphics, installed web driver, reinstalled NVIDIA and it booted fine. There are artifacts on the screen at login, but they disappear when logged in. I had no sound. I re-ran MultiBeast ALC1150 driver with no luck. I installed CloverALC (https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC), restarted and sound is fine.

Hi, did you run the installer without the NVIDIA card on board, or did you remove it after the install completed?

7. Complete the installation process- the computer will automatically reboot a few times.

8. At Clover boot screen, choose Boot macOS option (Example: Boot macOS from Macintosh HD). The computer will then complete the update.​
On Step 7 of the guide to update and maintain HFS+, when you get the multiple reboots, just to clarify do you select the "install macOS High Sierra" option on each reboot? And if so, at what point/how do you know its done and to boot into the regular OSX option?

On Step 7 of the guide to update and maintain HFS+, when you get the multiple reboots, just to clarify do you select the "install macOS High Sierra" option on each reboot? And if so, at what point/how do you know its done and to boot into the regular OSX option?

I choose the pre-boot options once they appeared...
Wondering if you get through the whole process.. We have the same graphics card (although from different vendor) and my build doesn't run with the card installed...

Updated from 10.12.06 to 10.13.03 without a problem, to my surprise I now have HDMI sound output. I had tried everything mentioned here without any success in HDMI sound. A rewarding experience after the brouhaha cleverly named "Security Update 2018-001" I got this morning…

Laudrup, for using the Direct Update procedures, you need to move the FakeSMC from /L/E/ to .../kexts/other/. Normally, if you've used UniBeast/MultiBeast before, the .../other/ folder is empty; MultiBeast puts it's kexts in /L/E/ folder. However, for this Direct Update only, move them to .../other/ folder.

After the Update, run MultiBeast v10 for Sierra with your complete MultiBeast configuration. After the MultiBeast installation is through, don't reboot, yet, but remove the kexts you put in .../other/ folder. Next, update your Nvidia dirvers. Now, reboot. :thumbup:

About to embark on updating Sierra to High Sierra and I have a couple of questions regarding the procedure outlined in Post #1 of this thread.

1. Update your existing Clover install to v4173+ using MultiBeast or official Clover package.

I assume that this implies that MultiBeast 10.2.0 should be used to install the latest version of Clover to the Mac HD drive. Correct?

2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

What is the definition of "other necessary kexts"? Do I need to place a copy of all kexts that are currently in the /L/E folder into the /Other folder?

Stork (see quote above) advises that MB v10 be run with "your complete MultiBeast configuration" after the update. I am interpreting this to mean that MB should be run subsequent to Step 8 in Post #1, i.e after completion of the entire update procedure. Is this correct?

Thanks everyone for their help and assistance.

1. Yes.

2. Since you're going to run MulitBeast v10.2.0 after your upgrade to High Sierra has completed, you probably just need to copy FakeSMC to the EFI/Clover/kext/Other. Once you've run MultiBeast and before you reboot. You can remove the FakeSMC in the .../Other folder as MultiBeast installs a newer version in /Library/Extensions/ folder.

I followed the steps for an HFS install in this guide exactly. When I did the Boot macOS install step, it got to the Apple icon and the progress bar moved about 10mm and it restarted. I tried doing a verbose boot, but it reboots so fast that I can't see the detail.

I also tried running the downloaded 10.13.3 update directly, with the same result.

Any suggestions about the most likely cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back